External tanks

tazzharm

Hello all

finally able to get the p47 off the ground and started the wolfpack missions

I found that on the second mission I requested fuel and my external tank was fill ok, but as I'm in the air and switch to it the amount stays at full even when the engine cuts out after running out of fuel in external tank.  I switch to regular tanks and all is fine , the level drops during flight.  even when I drop the tank it still shows full on the dash

normal?

thanks

Glenn.

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K--32gigs ram--Gtx 3070--windows 11--Oculus Quest 2 VR--X-56 Hotas . DCS Openworld Beta

In these kind of aircraft there aren't any fuel gauge for external tanks usually (Mosquito is a exception IIRC), you know they're empty because of flight time, or when the engine quits, only then you can switch to internal fuel and drop the tank. In some aircraft the gauge doesn't even measure the whole tank, so you only know actual remaining fuel when the needle starts to drop, but that's usually perhaps half the tank or even less. So to answer your question, yes, it's pretty normal not knowing your actual fuel quantity.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 4 weeks later...

ok thanks for the info. I must be looking at the auxiliary tank guage thinking it was for the external. big learning curve for me lol 

and getting off the short runnways in the missions is for some reason impossible now keep blowing engine now. 

• Like 1

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K--32gigs ram--Gtx 3070--windows 11--Oculus Quest 2 VR--X-56 Hotas . DCS Openworld Beta

1 hour ago, tazzharm said:

and getting off the short runnways in the missions is for some reason impossible now keep blowing engine now. 

Very important thing is to not rev engine below 1000 rpm during warm up, and avoid like hell revving engine with throttle closed completely, only instance when you can do it is landing phase when you have to reduce power to minimum to slow down the plane.

Second thing if your mission is set with high outside 20C or more when you start engine open up oil cooler to max, oil will get hot in hot summer days, and second thing use max rpm and do not go over 52" at take off. Make sure that mixture handle is in proper position "auto rich".

Or just follow P-47 manual, you can use original manual it will work too, read start,pre-take off, take off parts and you will be fine too. If you are going blind on this, you will miss some important things and your engine will quit very often.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, tazzharm said:

Make sure oil pressure and temps are OK before taking off, manage the oil cooler doors accordingly. DCS P-47 tends to kill its engine on takeoff easily when these are not within rated limits.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.