All AI Aircraft Refusing to use BVR Missiles

FMBluecher

I'm replaying Zone 5, and I noticed an oddity. (Of course, because I'm extemely observant, I noticed it only by the time I got to event 9, even though this has affected every mission up until 9!)

The AI--both friendly and enemy--is completely refusing to use any weapon aside from IR-guided missiles. (They might be willing to use the gun, too, but it's hard to say for sure, since it's much more difficult for the AI to satisfy those parameters.)

I thought it might be a DCS issue, and apparently there have been some bugs reported like this, so I also just tried a BVR practice mission that I had created. I hadn't messed with the default AI behaviors, and both my AI wingman (using standard DCS AI comms) and the bandits fired AIM-54s and R-27s (respectively). So, while this might be to some extent a DCS bug, it appears to be especially effective at crippling both the friendly and enemy AI in Zone 5.

Edit: I should clarify that the difference is very obvious when I compared my Tacview track of Event 9 that I just played with the track of the same event played in August. In August, the sky was full of missiles before the merge; my wingmen were firing away with Sparrows and Phoenixes, and so were the bandits (with just Sparrows, obviously). In this case, I was the only one who fired anything other than an AIM-9.

Edited by FMBluecher

Thanks for the report! I noticed things like this, even with guns employment. The new AI changes brought some unexpected bugs too apparently. I checked the mission and there are no triggers or settings that should impact missile use in any way, so it's 100% a DCS bug, that doesn't occur 100% of the time but only under certain conditions (like e.g. in mission 9). 

Could you please post the old and the new TacView files and maybe even the track file so that @[ED]Obi can have a look?

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 1

I'd love to--heck, I'd be willing to post the Tacview tracks from previous Zone 5 missions where this was an issue as well. I can't get the file sizes below 5 MB, though. I've never attached any files to these forums before; is there some way to get larger files attached, or is there somewhere I can send them directly that doesn't have the file size limit? Would it still be helpful, since you already submitted your own track?

I didn't save the DCS tracks, sadly--I didn't realize there was a bug until after I had already closed DCS to watch the Tacview track.

Edited by FMBluecher
  • Like 1

Here they are--all of the new and old tracks for the missions with valid pre-merge shots. (I also included Exposure in the new tracks, since, even though they're not counted as kills, the briefing said that forward-quarter pre-merge shots were encouraged.)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IJr6Wm0YLkMGERuQaUXvpVMgwN42gKUr?usp=sharing

Edited by FMBluecher