Single Piece Windshield on the F-4

DSplayer

I just learned that some of the F-4s later (RF-4Cs, F-4Es, and F-4Gs) on in US service (and some that got transferred to foreign air forces) had a single piece windshield. From what I could gather, this was a retrofit that was supposed to be added to every aircraft but all the F-4s were basically retired before the upgrade could be fitted in any actual large quantities. Pretty cool stuff ngl.

An F-4G from the 37th Tactical Fighter Wing:

Spoiler

an-air-to-air-front-view-of-an-f-4g-wild

A diagram from "The Phantom Story" by Anthony M Thornborough:

Spoiler

F-4onepiecewscopy.jpg

Reference material from the book "The Modern Phantom Guide: The F-4 Phantom Exposed" by Jake Melampy:

Spoiler

MPG_56-57.jpg

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

• DSplayer changed the title to Single Piece Windshield on the F-4

It was only trialled on a handful of airframes, I believe less than 6.

It would have been quite beneficial, improved bird strike resistance (somewhere around 450kts I think?), improved visibility (coaming jewellery notwithstanding!), less maintenance.

But the trial came to nothing, the Phantoms days were already numbered, and the trial windscreens were just left in place instead of reverting the donors back to the original fitment. 
I know at least 3 were with the New Jersey ANG ‘E’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Shark mouthed St Louis ANG had them standard as a unit since they could retrofit them themselves right at the MACAIR plant.  Might be the source where other units gained replacement air frames so equipped when they converted to Eagles.