Game never saves my FOV or Seat position

slackpanda
Go to solution Solved by Rudel_chw,

I get in the Hornet then setup the seat position, head angle and FOV to taste and then hit the 'save cockpit angles' shortcut... but it never saves anything and it always reverts back to the default zoomed out view as soon as I play another mission. It gets very tedious having to manually configure it every time I play the game.

Am I missing something? What is the process to alter and save the default cockpit view (both seat position, FOV and head angle)

Any help is appreciated 

Edited by slackpanda
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, slackpanda said:

What is the process to alter and save the default cockpit view (both seat position, FOV and up/down angle)

Customizing  the Default View:

Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing this

1. Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.

2. Adjust your view to what you want as the new default, using these keys:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

3. Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 minute ago, Rudel_chw said:

Customizing  the Default View:

Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing this

1. Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.

2. Adjust your view to what you want as the new default, using these keys:

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

3. Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

Yeh i've seen that and followed it word for word but it simply does not save anything. FOV always goes back to 100

• Solution
9 minutes ago, slackpanda said:

Yeh i've seen that and followed it word for word but it simply does not save anything. FOV always goes back to 100

Your adjustments are saved on the SnapViews.lua file from the \saved games\dcs\config\view folder … check its modification date to confirm if your edits are saved or not .. maybe you have another item that interferes with your fov, for example a hotas axis binded to the dcs zoom control.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

On 6/5/2022 at 3:14 AM, Rudel_chw said:

Your adjustments are saved on the SnapViews.lua file from the \saved games\dcs\config\view folder … check its modification date to confirm if your edits are saved or not .. maybe you have another item that interferes with your fov, for example a hotas axis binded to the dcs zoom control.

Thank you. I had the zoom mapped to an AXIS, as soon as i unmapped it started working... however i also found that if i simply use the axis as soon as i spawn and then let go it goes back to my desired FOV. Thanks again !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slackpanda said:

Thank you. I had the zoom mapped to an AXIS, as soon as i unmapped it started working... however i also found that if i simply use the axis as soon as i spawn and then let go it goes back to my desired FOV. Thanks again !

👍 glad to be of help

Edited by Rudel_chw

• 1 year later...

@Rudel_chw I have saved both my Mustang SnapViewLua sections for Default FOV from 80 to 62...but when I go into the program, they are back at 80.  I also set them in the Options and hit R ALT + NUM 0 to save it...tried this both ways...still not holding the settings.  What am I doing wrong?  I have nothing mapped to ZOOM in settings, I don't use it in DCS.
Hope you are doing well...Juice

Edited by JUICE-AWG

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, JUICE-AWG said:

when I go into the program, they are back at 80

Have you pressed NumEnter or Num5?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

15 hours ago, draconus said:

Have you pressed NumEnter or Num5?

Yes, sir...that takes it to what is set...but not related to what is happening.  I can adjust the FOV like before, save it with R Alt Num 0 like always.  But shutting down the game and relaunching later, it goes back to the old settings.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, JUICE-AWG said:

I can adjust the FOV like before, save it with R Alt Num 0 like always.  But shutting down the game and relaunching later, it goes back to the old settings.

Not sure what you are doing wrong, as RAlt+Num0 will always save to the last used snap view ?

Procedure is
1. Backup "Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua" so you can always revert if you mess something up.
2. Enter aircraft (disable TrackIR, etc. as req'ed) i.e. a cold start spawn
3. Check default snap view is selected i.e. Slew head position right with Num6, then tap Num5 to return to default/center view
4. Adjust FOV with Num/ and Num* and/or head position as req'ed (do not select another snap view until finished)
5. Once happy with the new default view, save it with RAlt+Num0
6. Exit the mission and confirm "Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua" has been updated i.e. has current date  and time or the relevant P-51D section has updated.

P-51D Snapview Example.png

7. Enter the aircraft a 2nd time and confirm the starting position/FOV has taken.
8. Repeat for other views/panels as desired.

Tested DCS Open Beta Multi-thread 2.8.6.41066

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Idk whether it is related but ever since I've played DCS I have to press the reset zoom button once every time I get into a cockpit when I start a mission.

This provides my previously set FOV/zoom level.

Plz be aware that this is not done by the "center view" but by the "reset zoom" key. (don't exactly know what they're called in English)

DCS always starts zoomed out a bit until I hit the zoom reset key to get to my dedired/preset FOV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Kazansky said:

DCS always starts zoomed out a bit until I hit the zoom reset key to get to my dedired/preset FOV.

This is normal - it's how snapviews work. For the no-key-pressing default view change you'd have to mess with the module files in DCS installation folder.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

This is normal - it's how snapviews work. For the no-key-pressing default view change you'd have to mess with the module files in DCS installation folder.

thanks and yes, I accepted it as normal too. I just thought I add it here for the case (with low possibility) someone doesn't know.

I wasn't aware of that "no-key-pressing default view change", tho. So also thanks for that.

• Like 1

SOLVED-In my view settings, the Right ALT NumPad Zero combo had been reset and wasn't saving to the LUA...thanks for everyone's help.
J

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/19/2023 at 11:14 PM, JUICE-AWG said:

@Rudel_chw I have saved both my Mustang SnapViewLua sections for Default FOV from 80 to 62...but when I go into the program, they are back at 80.  I also set them in the Options and hit R ALT + NUM 0 to save it...tried this both ways...still not holding the settings. ..

Hi,

Sorry for not having answered before, but very glad that you found the cause .. I would have never tought of a remapping of the Ralt+Num 0

👍

5 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi,

Sorry for not having answered before, but very glad that you found the cause .. I would have never tought of a remapping of the Ralt+Num 0

👍

Thanks R...it was weird, that was the only standard mapping that was broken.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks, but still confused. I have tried to discuss this in a previous forum topic: 

In the video I uploaded, I hope you can see what I'm talking about. The insert on the left is what the FOV is in VR and the back ground video is what I see when I playback the track file in the pancake display config. I would like to possibly change the pancake view to have the same FOV as the VR capture if possible. I hope this makes more sense.

Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark 2023.12.23 - 23.00.13.02.m2v

• Like 1

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

33 minutes ago, FlyingCoffin said:

Found the perfect seat position. Can I save the current seat position for future sessions?

yes, right alt + numpad 0