Best GPUs for DCS

Q1) Best GPUs for 1440p?

Q2) Best GPUs for VR?

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

(Q2) Get the most expensive GPU you can't really afford !

• Like 2

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Q1) I have a 3070 for 1440p and honestly it runs fine. 100+ fps even with heavy action.

Q2) VRAM, VRAM, and more VRAM. That being said, DCS is still a very long way off from being optimized for VR.

I should also mention I also have 64GB of memory. It's especially important when playing MP.

Q2: Agreed on biggest GPU you can possibly get. That said, my experience shifting from an RTX 2080 Super to an RX 6950 XT is that the AMD cards have a bigger CPU bottleneck in VR than the NVidia ones do in DCS (and IL2). A few others have noticed this as well. So while the RX 6950XT is theoretically significantly better than an RTX 3080 Ti, in DCS it has a lower peak fps in VR if you try to sacrifice quality to get average fps up. That doesn't mean the card is less powerful though, as within that capped fps you can really crank the settings up. Can't say if they can go higher than an RTX 3080 Ti as I don't have one, but you can't drop settings way down in an attempt to actually get 90 fps. At least that's the case with my i5-10600k.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

From my own personal experience, for 1440p a 2080, 2080ti, 3070, 3070ti and AMD 6800xt will give pretty much perfect results on 1440p. An AMD 6800xt and a decent 1440p Freesync monitor. You can max it out graphics wise and get a properly butter smooth 60fps. Its almost a perfect combo. I didn't bother mentioning Nvidia 3080 and upwards because those are 4k capable cards, overkill for 1440p.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2022 at 4:31 AM, Django said:

Q1) Best GPUs for 1440p?

Q2) Best GPUs for VR?

Are you unchained?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, Django said:

Q1) Best GPUs for 1440p?

Q2) Best GPUs for VR?

hello. i have a GTX 3090 running on 1440 and all my settings are maxed without any problems. i would like to try VR but i get motion sick. 🤢🤢

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 6/5/2022 at 4:31 AM, Django said:

Q1) Best GPUs for 1440p?

Q2) Best GPUs for VR?

The question is kind of pointless.

You will gain performance with every tier you can afford to step up. So the simple answer for both questions is: The most potent, which as of now is probably a 3090ti.

When your real question is, which is the best value for money, it gains a lot more quality (and is less easy to answer). If your question is nvidia or amd, well it comes around to value for money.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

The highest VRam you can afford. Stay clear from 8gb vram. I personally like all my settings maxed out and not worry about performance. I mainly fly in VR but sometimes I’ll switch to 2D monitor just to see the beauty of this sim and wish VR was this crisp. But VR is fantastic too. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

23 hours ago, silverdevil said:

hello. i have a GTX 3090 running on 1440 and all my settings are maxed without any problems. i would like to try VR but i get motion sick. 🤢🤢

I did to when I first started VR but I pushed through and after 2 weeks or so my brain finally adapted. The Alienware runs VR like a champ ! 👍🏻

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:37 AM, silverdevil said:

I think I remember someone mentioning that having a fan blow air on them when flying in VR?  Might work?

Edited by NoCoolName66
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Burt said:

I did to when I first started VR but I pushed through and after 2 weeks or so my brain finally adapted. The Alienware runs VR like a champ ! 👍🏻

thanks burt. i see you have a similar system to mine. what headset do you have?

5 hours ago, NoCoolName66 said:

I think I remember someone mentioning that having a fan blow air on them when flying in VR?  Might work?

interesting nocoolname66. i never thought of that. it may work. i get sick on the water too. but if the boat is hauling ass and lots of wind and spray i am fine. when i was in europe for the army, i went to london from germany across the channel. before the chunnel. the ferry ride was awesome. it was a squall and never felt a thing. weird.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I have the HP Reverb G2 for about a year now. Highly recommend especially for our specs. Running it with Open XR.

To be honest it took about a month not a couple of weeks. It takes times.

Edited by Burt
  • Thanks 1

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...

For 1440p and no VR I would go for a 3070Ti but for VR I am inclined to wait for the 4000 series to come out.

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

• 2 weeks later...

Higher tier GPU will give you more FPS in general, BUT insufficient VRAM can cause occasional stuttering when the RAM is "full".

I have a 3080 with 10GB VRAM and no VRAM related issues at all. I don't use VR much though.

Before the 3080, I had a 1080ti with 11 GB - so I can't tell you from personel experience, if the problems start below 10 GB. Personally I doubt that 8 GB will inevitably  cause trouble, because a ton of people have such specs and I don't see them all complaining.

edit:

and btw - contrary to popular beliefs: When DCS utilizes all 10 GB of VRAM if it is available does not necessarily mean that 8 GB are insufficient. That's not how caching works.

Edited by Hiob
  • Thanks 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"