Thrustmaster TPR Pedals insanely hypersensitive

I've had this problem with the A-10 C & C II for a while, the nosewheel steering and braking is insanely sensitive. Obviously it's manageable during normal taxi but almost veers off the runway on landings after slowing to reasonable speeds after aerobraking to under 100mph, especially braking. My other tricycle gear A/C (F/A-18 & F-16) have no problems; I can stomp on the brakes and they track perfectly straight coming to a slow roll & stop.

If I assume it's my axis settings (where I'm a moron) could someone with normal steering/braking results post an image of their axis settings. I can't imagine this is typical of these pedals or system.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

There's a thought but I really like the feel for the other 2 planes. I just don't quite understand the curvatures...might need to take a night class on that topic🤪.

Am I in the right range (in image) compared to your settings?

image.png

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Just curious what you are calling a reasonable speed on the runway to start using NWS? It shouldn’t be used above 50 knots (60-70 if there’s a really strong crosswind) because it’s too sensitive. Rudders should be effective above 50. Are normal rudders too sensitive in flight as well? You might just be turning it on too early. 

Also… A-10s don’t aero brake. Let your nose touch down and open the speed brakes 100%. It’s more effective and puts all your weight on the gear faster making the brakes more effective. Might help you get to the end of the runway at a slower speed so you don’t have to turn off too fast. 

• Like 1

@rforce & @horstweihrauch.......I'll give that a try first, not sure where/why I have such a big deadzone...shows my ignorance of these settings in general. Calibration (TPR external shows normal)

@ASAP....reasonable speed for NWS is below 50 as long as rudder can keep me relatively straight, which seem fine in regular flight.

As for aerobraking, been doing that for a while as it does seem to slow me down effectively, especially on shorter runways. I figure those long wings along with speedbrakes (100%) do a good job of that while I raise the flaps to decrease any further positive lift after solid ground contact....  I hold the nose up until it just falls down. Then start applying brakes....holding off NWS until below 50. I'm never in danger of over running, just keeping left/right on the blacktop

Do I need to go back to school here....

In any case, thanks to all of you and I  DO appreciate further input...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@rforce & @horstweihrauch.......I'll give that a try first, not sure where/why I have such a big deadzone...shows my ignorance of these settings in general. Calibration (TPR external shows normal)

@ASAP....reasonable speed for NWS is below 50 as long as rudder can keep me relatively straight, which seem fine in regular flight.

As for aerobraking, been doing that for a while as it does seem to slow me down effectively, especially on shorter runways. I figure those long wings along with speedbrakes (100%) do a good job of that while I raise the flaps to decrease any further positive lift after solid ground contact....  I hold the nose up until it just falls down. Then start applying brakes....holding off NWS until below 50. I'm never in danger of over running, just keeping left/right on the blacktop

Do I need to go back to school here....

In any case, thanks to all of you and I  DO appreciate further input...

Nah. Your good. Your original post didn’t say anything about speeds. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t engaging NWS at 90 knots and being surprised it’s over sensitive. Just eliminating variables. For a min run landing it’s recommended you let the nose wheel drop and get the boards out faster so you can get on the brakes and use the anti skid. At any rate the A-10 doesn’t normally aero brake by holding the nose off the ground. The nose wheel comes down pretty quick and they use the speed brake to do all the work stopping the airplane. But it doesn’t sound like that was your problem. So continue to do whatever you want

I am in awe of all of your observations, insights and suggestions along, with the speedy responses.

Mimicking @rforce axis settings has effectively resolved the problems for both A-10C and CII. I did about dozen landings late last night (Shanghai Time) and she just settled down and tracked straight without incident.....much cleaner than my previous 'serpentine waggling' that was frustrated me.

@ASAP...I'm still curious about the reasoning/logic behind NOT aerobraking as it does slow things down faster than the normal procedure. The only thing I can think of is it may impose greater stresses on the front steering assembly as it does come down a little harder when it finally falls. 

Thanks much to all of you, you're a credit to the community...!

16 hours ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@ASAP...I'm still curious about the reasoning/logic behind NOT aerobraking as it does slow things down faster than the normal procedure. The only thing I can think of is it may impose greater stresses on the front steering assembly as it does come down a little harder when it finally falls. 

I talked to an A-10 guy I know to figure it out.  He said if you need to stop quickly it’s faster to get all your weight on the wheels and apply max braking. You’ll be cycling the anti skid but it will stop the aircraft in like 1500 feet if you land on speed with normal recovery fuel. The a-10 demo team does it and the airplane stops really fast.

Aero braking is used for airplanes with swept wings that have to land faster and have to bleed off speed before they can start wheel braking or they risk blowing tires. The a-10 apparently doesnt suffer from those same limitations. Also the a-10 apparently tail strikes easy. 

Interesting....and quite logical...glad to hear the view of the experienced. Most those USAF planes have such skinny legs, always worried about them on landings. Love those USN F/As, look like a squatting sumo wrestler 🙂

I gotta go play with this now that my tracking under full brakes is so much better.....thanks to all!