What's going on with the guns?

Shibbyland

I'm blasting away at enemy aicraft point blank and they don't go down. No amount of 20mm seems to work let alone the MGs.

Enemy aircraft show plenty of damage. Smoke trailing, gear falling down, riddled with holes but they fly on and I run out of ammo trying to just shoot one down.

I don't have this issue with the P-51 or the 109

• Like 1

The guns work fine if you manage to land good hits. Firing from point blank does not equal to good hits. Your cannons are on the wings, shooting from point blank will only result in you shooting both of the targets wings or, more likely, missing a lot of shots. 

Get some distance and trigger discipline and you'll down more targets. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, razo+r said:

The guns work fine if you manage to land good hits. Firing from point blank does not equal to good hits. Your cannons are on the wings, shooting from point blank will only result in you shooting both of the targets wings or, more likely, missing a lot of shots. 

Get some distance and trigger discipline and you'll down more targets. 

I agree. I find the Spits guns quite deadly when I fight a Bf-109 or FW-190 AI.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Shooting at point blank won't work. Your guns are harmonised to fire into a circle at 300yds or so. Fall back to that distance and try again.

Remember also that ammo type matters and hits on wings do very little in DCS.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Point blank is fine as long as you land hits in a vital area. Invalidating point-blank shooting is, well, invalid given how the nose length plus low-set cockpit occludes nearly everything below the crosshair, making it impossible to get consistent hits on a turning target. The 250yrd harmonization is only reliable when the target is nearly straight and level. Most of my kills are at 100yds, give or take. Closer if they're turning. They key is to walk your hits to take out something vital, like the engine, cooling, or pilot. The only time I can ever recall landing hits at harmonization distance is on a Ju-88 flying straight, level, and dumb.