night fighter planned?

Mric29

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
18 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Where is the radar located on this? More pictures, I am interested now.

In these pictures the radar is the antenna below the wings. But if you google for Fw-190 night fighter, you'll see different variants of radar installed. Some are those antennas below the wings, some are spike antennas on the fuselage and the wings, some are antennas below and above the wings. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Where is the radar located on this? More pictures, I am interested now.

On the wings, it's the Fug 217, they used the Fug 216 before but it had less range if I recall correctly, if you're interested you can check the "Wilde Sau" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilde_Sau

Modelling the Fug217 should theorically feasible in DCS but the problem is what the cockpit arrangement looks like, archives resarches would be needed.

FW-190 A8/R11 gunter migge - Общие вопросы / General Discussion - форум  моделистов GreenMats Club

Edited by Blackbird12
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:06 PM, Blackbird12 said:

On the wings, it's the Fug 217, they used the Fug 216 before but it had less range if I recall correctly, if you're interested you can check the "Wilde Sau" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilde_Sau

Modelling the Fug217 should theorically feasible in DCS but the problem is what the cockpit arrangement looks like, archives resarches would be needed.

FW-190 A8/R11 gunter migge - Общие вопросы / General Discussion - форум  моделистов GreenMats Club

page3-1239px-Neptun_FuG_217.pdf.jpg

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Good luck on that.

I tried a night flight using an Awacs to direct me, whilst flying a Mustang to intercept a Ju88.  Seems that the Ju88 gunners have NVGs.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:53 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

Seems that the Ju88 gunners have NVGs

It's the AI, what do you expect? They don't need NVGs, they have NVG in their retina, it's part of their "eye-assembly"...^^

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 1 year later...

Would be amazing to see WW2 night fighters/bombers in DCS. This part of the war is unfortunately very poorly represented in games.

There are pictures of 190 cockpits with the Neptun radar. I'll probably edit it into this comment later.

One thing to note is if ED ever decides to represent nightfighting, they would have to make an authentic and detailed GCI system, like what the Luftwaffe had in the 2nd half of the war. Though, we already have the Freya radar so...fingers crossed? 🙂

Edit:

Fw190A6FuG217.jpg

This is an A-6/R11 with a FuG 217 J2 Neptun, and Im fairly certain A-8/R11s had it in the same place as well. So not a huge difference, and the CRT screen in single-engine fighters basically only informed the pilot about the range and left/right deviation of the target, but lacked the elavation screen. It is certainly a lot easier to do than even early Cold War radars. 
Im not trying to imply that this should be priority by the way, but I personally don't see why this couldn't be a thing later down the line.

Edited by 13-vszd-dakos