Iwo Jima…?

rkk01

I seem to recall that quite a while ago, it was announced that the F4U was going to come with a Pacific map and that it was most likely going to be Iwo Jima. But that was a very long time ago and I've not seen anything about it in quite a while. Personally, I can't think of a more useless map to spend time on.....for any module, other than maybe an LCVP or AMTRAC but especially for the Corsair. I suspect that it might have been because a very famous battle was fought there and the makers possibly figured that it might be relatively easy to build, given the small amount of surface area it covers. I don't know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

I

On 6/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, 352nd_Hoss said:

Okinawa instead please......................... Iwo is too small, Okinawa had many more battles during it's course than Iwo did. 

Why not both? The distance is about 1300 km. Though if the f4u comes with a map then Iwo jima alone would make sense. 

• Like 7

On 6/30/2022 at 12:23 AM, Chewmann said:

Solomon Islands would be my preference.  

On 6/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, Gambit21 said:

That's because you're apparently a damn smart individual who understands the PTO. 😉

Yes definitely.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:22 AM, AG-51_Razor said:

Agreed 👍

:poster_oops2: Pfffffftt.................................. :harhar: 

I don't care really which map, as long as we get a very good selection of Pacific Warbirds to fly around on it.  Did I mention Okinawa?............  Solomons for early battles, old planes... Okinawa for late planes and battles. And the Southern Island of Japan for faux invasion campaign.. Hellcats, Bearcats, Tigercats, Helldivers, Corsairs, Avengers............  Dang... I need a cold shower...

Edited by 352nd_Hoss
  • Like 2

Sempre Fortis

That would be my dream map too, Solomons. Black Sheep out of Munda and Velle LaVella. Attacks on Kolombangara. Deep strikes into Bougainville......

I also think New Guinea with Rabaul to the east would be a great map too. Lots of stuff around Goodenough Is, over the Owen Stanleys, big base at Lae. 

Please please!!!

Edited by Robert31178
misspelling
  • Like 4

On 7/4/2022 at 9:26 AM, Robert31178 said:

That would be my dream map too, Solomons. Black Sheep out of Munda and Velle LaVella. Attacks on Kolombangara. Deep strikes into Bougainville......

Aye.

From my own/content-creator's standpoint.

We'd also need a selection of Japanese and Allied AI aircraft to fill things out, to shoot down, for scenery etc. Transports, float planes and the like. Mavis, Pete, Emily, Jake, Catalina etc.

Once we have an AI Zero, then an AI Rufe is an easier thing to achieve.

Of course a flyable Zero is the dream.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I prefer Iwo Jima over Okinawa. It's smaller, easy to model with high detail, and MUCH closer to the Marianas to easily include into the map as an expansion. If Syria added Cyprus, then ED can easily add Iwo Jima and should.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Gambit21 said:

Once we have an AI Zero, then an AI Rufe is an easier thing to achieve.

Of course a flyable Zero is the dream.

Mine is an N1K2-J, A7M or Ki-43 but that'll never happen lol.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Baltic Dude said:

I prefer Iwo Jima over Okinawa. It's smaller, easy to model with high detail, and MUCH closer to the Marianas to easily include into the map as an expansion. If Syria added Cyprus, then ED can easily add Iwo Jima and should.

Mine is an N1K2-J, A7M or Ki-43 but that'll never happen lol.

On the face of it the Ki-43 would seem possible, there are several surviving examples unlike several late war Japanese planes that are pretty much extinct...

Iirc TFC has some Ki-43 bits knocking about 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

On the face of it the Ki-43 would seem possible, there are several surviving examples unlike several late war Japanese planes that are pretty much extinct...

Iirc TFC has some Ki-43 bits knocking about 🤔

Well I hope we get more Japanese modules than just the Zero. IMO the Zero is quite boring and will easily be countered by American planes in multiplayer (almost no reason to use it)

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:20 PM, rkk01 said:

An Iwo Jima map logged in Steam DB?

could this be a standalone PTO map? expanded WW2 Marianas? Coordinated PTO project to bring together products from multiple devs?

That was a old Leatherneck Studio project, previosly to the break on Heatblur / M3, when start to talk about a F4U project after the Mig-21Bis, but LN never get a "map team" or the TDK (on that times, 2.0 dont was released). Steam DB maintain them, but LN never has confirm nothing.

3 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That was a old Leatherneck Studio project, previosly to the break on Heatblur / M3, when start to talk about a F4U project after the Mig-21Bis, but LN never get a "map team" or the TDK (on that times, 2.0 dont was released). Steam DB maintain them, but LN never has confirm nothing.

I'm just hoping they aren't saying anything because they or ED are working on Iwo Jima for our Marianas. Currently there is enough water for the islands to fit into the existing map.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Baltic Dude said:

Well I hope we get more Japanese modules than just the Zero. IMO the Zero is quite boring and will easily be countered by American planes in multiplayer (almost no reason to use it)

That's an odd take on the Zero, and I couldn't disagree more.

The fact of the matter is (aside from it being an amazing, and very 'un-boring' aircraft) most pilots will not fly the Corsair, Hellcat...Mustang etc to it's fullest advantage and end up falling into the Zero's game.

Over and over again online back in the days that's what happened, and I made my living killing over-confident Corsair and Hellcat pilots. Over and over again they'd try the knife fight, and then they're dead. By the same token I had the discipline when flying a Corsair to stay out of it's way and I was untouchable. So just depends on the pilot...but I'm telling you it's deadly, and it was in real life. It held it's own even against the early Hellcats.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, Chewmann said:

Solomon Islands would be my preference.  

Ideally we'll have to compromise and have  both

On 8/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, Baltic Dude said:

I'd love to get the Oscar as well, and full carrier wings for the Japanese, US and Royal Navy.

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 1:26 AM, Gambit21 said:

That's an odd take on the Zero, and I couldn't disagree more.

The fact of the matter is (aside from it being an amazing, and very 'un-boring' aircraft) most pilots will not fly the Corsair, Hellcat...Mustang etc to it's fullest advantage and end up falling into the Zero's game.

Over and over again online back in the days that's what happened, and I made my living killing over-confident Corsair and Hellcat pilots. Over and over again they'd try the knife fight, and then they're dead. By the same token I had the discipline when flying a Corsair to stay out of it's way and I was untouchable. So just depends on the pilot...but I'm telling you it's deadly, and it was in real life. It held it's own even against the early Hellcats.

Agree. Most online players can’t resist a turning fight.

I always think early/mid war scenarios are the most interesting and balanced. 

F4F v Zero

Spitfire Mk 1 v 109E

I-16 V 109E

Spitfire Mk V v 190 A4

The demand will always be for late war hot rods though.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...