P-51D Mustang Propeller Damage Model Show's the Damaged Prop Twist Backwards

JUICE-AWG

Looking forward from the cockpit, the P-51D propeller spins to the right...so the prop-strike damage model when you crash land or nose over should twist to the left.  When you hit the ground with the engine running, the twist of the prop would go the opposite of the direction of turning.  Check it out...cheers,

Screen_220605_193243.png

• Like 1

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, good catch. I look through photos of crash landed P-51s and i can see that twist is very small in most cases prop's blade are bend back and that's it.

Some fix for this should happen.

3dsG0eI.png

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

@grafspee...great pic...that was a gentile prop-strike for sure...I've seen some that were ground-down and scarred to the point no paint was left on the tips.

There are several cockpit errors on the TF-51D that don't occur in the P-51D model...trying to list them all for a report maybe soon.

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, JUICE-AWG said:

@grafspee...great pic...that was a gentile prop-strike for sure...I've seen some that were ground-down and scarred to the point no paint was left on the tips.

There are several cockpit errors on the TF-51D that don't occur in the P-51D model...trying to list them all for a report maybe soon.

J

Yeah I've seen them too, but i was trying to put something similar to what we have in DCS

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

@grafspree I see what you mean on the picture...during aircraft accident investigation training, we learned about witness marks.  I'm no professional investigator and only took the course as part of my degree program at Embry-Riddle, but the experts can calculate how fast the aircraft was going, what angle, and how much RPM was in the spinning prop when it struck.  Some blades get one hit on the ground before the settling and the blades that end up on the bottom usually get the most flex/bent as they absorb the weight of the aircraft as it's settling into position.  ED's model is good, just shows the twist as if it was a left spinning prop and not right spinning like most, if not all, western/allied propeller aircraft of WWII!
J
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/maintenance_hf/library/documents/media/hfacs/2_accidentinvestigation.pdf

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...