Cant reverse Rudder, Tomcat only

CH4Pz

Just got my new pedals and annoyingly Virpils software wiped all my bindings on all planes, but with the Tomcat when i invert the Rudder Axis Binding, nothing changes. At the moment, they work like bicycle handle bars (left leg forward will turn right), but i want them like irl (Left leg forward turns left) but besides inverting the axis not sure how else to change them?? possibly bug, as its only the tomcat

8 minutes ago, CH4Pz said:

Just got my new pedals and annoyingly Virpils software wiped all my bindings on all planes, but with the Tomcat when i invert the Rudder Axis Binding, nothing changes. At the moment, they work like bicycle handle bars (left leg forward will turn right), but i want them like irl (Left leg forward turns left) but besides inverting the axis not sure how else to change them?? possibly bug, as its only the tomcat

I assume you are using virpil rudders?

I just tried and mine invert as should (I am using the slaw pedals). All other axis invert as well. If you say the virpil software nuked your inputs, which sounds extremely odd, since how would the software have access to a DCS file or to even deleting it, then this is most likely an issue with the virpil software, too. It's defo not a Tomcat issue, or it would not be isolated to you alone. That it only happens with the Tomcat, can be simply a coincidence.

This is how the "curve" looks when inverted:

Screen_220606_162148.png

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Just now, IronMike said:

I assume you are using virpil rudders?

I just tried and mine invert as should (I am using the slaw pedals). All other axis invert as well. If you say the virpil software nuked your inputs, which sounds extremely odd, since how would the software have access to a DCS file or to even deleting it, then this is most likely an issue with the virpil software, too. It's defo not a Tomcat issue, or it would not be isolated to you alone. That it only happens with the Tomcat, can be simply a coincidence.

This is how the "curve" looks when inverted:

Screen_220606_162148.png

I already have warbird base and when i was trying to add the pedals (virpil interceptors) they wouldnt show up in the software, so i tried updating the software, then updated the firmware on both the stick and rudders, which i think may have renamed them or something, as i didnt lose my keyboard bindings, just the stick bindings in DCS, anyways..

just tried the 14A (tried 14B first) then, same thing. i tried making a track below using only left leg forward, but it didnt seem to record me opening the menu halfway through and inverting the controls, but you can see both times it veers to the right. Not sure what would be set wrong in VPC as all the other planes ive done (A10C/C-II, F16, F18) have all reversed on invert. Maybe a future patch will correct it i guess 

F14 bug.trk

The only thing I can think of is that your binding for the rudder might be linked to another control somewhere on the F-14 module. I had something similar thing happen in the F/A-18 a long time ago and it turned out that my rudder was bound to a completely different input interface. Otherwise, IronMike is probably correct, the inputs themselves cannot induce a bug in a given module. From a value perspective, they are just input variables that all of modules interpret and then apply to their respective flight models. I know that on the junk petals I have there is also a switch for auto (racing sim) input versus flight sim input. Less likely to be the cause since other modules would probably be affected, but worth the mention.

• Like 1

Just now, illegal1984 said:

The only thing I can think of is that your binding for the rudder might be linked to another control somewhere on the F-14 module. I had something similar thing happen in the F/A-18 a long time ago and it turned out that my rudder was bound to a completely different input interface. Otherwise, IronMike is probably correct, the inputs themselves cannot induce a bug in a given module. From a value perspective, they are just input variables that all of modules interpret and then apply to their respective flight models. I know that on the junk petals I have there is also a switch for auto (racing sim) input versus flight sim input. Less likely to be the cause since other modules would probably be affected, but worth the mention.

Thanks for the idea, but i just logged in then, and wiped the catagory entirely, in both axis and non axis, for both pilot and rio, rebound the rudder, but it still doesnt invert unfortunately

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CH4Pz said:

Thanks for the idea, but i just logged in then, and wiped the catagory entirely, in both axis and non axis, for both pilot and rio, rebound the rudder, but it still doesnt invert unfortunately

try running them without the software or any third party software profiles they come with.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

9 hours ago, IronMike said:

try running them without the software or any third party software profiles they come with.

cant remove the software entirely, but i think i did set up an axis curve on the pedals to make them softer in middle, will give it a shot bone stock in a few hours, not with PC atm. Still not sure why its only the Tomcat though, i dont even have additional liverys installed as far as mods go. Doing the rest of my 3rd party planes then too, cuz ive only tried ED planes (besides yours). will report back..

13 hours ago, IronMike said:

So i found a workaround, the new profile didnt work, but i was able to un-invert the pedals in the VPC software, then just uninverted all the other planes to match.. so she now works..

i am curious though, when you tested it, did you test it in the menus only? just cuz, mine was switching in the menu ok, but when i taxied in game it would always go the same way?

2 hours ago, CH4Pz said:

So i found a workaround, the new profile didnt work, but i was able to un-invert the pedals in the VPC software, then just uninverted all the other planes to match.. so she now works..

i am curious though, when you tested it, did you test it in the menus only? just cuz, mine was switching in the menu ok, but when i taxied in game it would always go the same way?

yeah, so this is your profile conflicting with the in game setting then. I do not use any 3rd party software/profiles at all and by principle exclusively setup all my inputs in the DCS control menu (for this very reason). you could write virpil and let them know about it. Why it would only affect the Tomcat, no idea, but that's not defined by us, it could be pure coincidence. We do not do anything special to or with our rudder axis fwiw.

Glad you figured it out though!

Heatblur Simulations

On 6/7/2022 at 1:12 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

I suspect the Virpil software thinks it's smart and knows which way Tomcat pedals should move. I also steer clear of such "smart" features, helps that I'm using Winwing, and their software sucks.

I doesnt matter which way Virpil tells them to go, clicking invert in game should do the opposite, which wasnt happening in my case (with the f14 anyways), fortunately the VPC software was able to switch them 😉

Not necessarily. It could detect they're inverted in DCS, and "helpfully" un-invert them for you. 🙂 Most software designed for "convenience" like that is actually designed to simply lock in the most common use case and "avoid confusing the user" with customization options.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1