QFE out of range

Sirchuzzalot

Hey people.  I know chuck's guide says to set the altimeter to the QFE of the target.  What do I do when the QFE of the target is out of range of what you can set the altimeter at?  

I have a QFE of target of 1000, but the altimeter stops at 9499.

Any help would be appreciated.

From Reddit, Field changed to target elevation, it's the same thing... basically you need to "Do math" 😉
"

If you know the target elevation, add the elevation MSL/1000 to the QFE value, to give you the proper elevation setting for your altimeter. Thus, at Nellis, if ATC told you 27.88 QFE.... take the target elevation of 1869, divide by 1000, and add it to the QFE. Giving you 27.88 + 1.87 = 29.75" Hg.Then take your current altimeter reading and subtract your known target elevation to get AGL.

EDIT: No one in civilian aviation uses QFE anymore, the problem is at elevation levels above 2000' you often can't set you altimeter to what would be the QFE. it's all QNH which is sea level pressure accounting for regional pressure differences.  I think some military's still use QFE when they can. 

Edited by Yeti42
  • Like 1

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

3 hours ago, Sirchuzzalot said:

Hey people.  I know chuck's guide says to set the altimeter to the QFE of the target.  What do I do when the QFE of the target is out of range of what you can set the altimeter at?  

I have a QFE of target of 1000, but the altimeter stops at 9499.

Any help would be appreciated.

1000 what? The altimeter's pressure setting is in hPa so 1019 is the setting for mean sea level. 1000 hPa is a perfectly reasonable setting, but 9449 is impossible. Either you're reading one digit too much or you're talking about something other than the pressure setting, I think.