Vr fps lock

Toga10

Hello all. 

Recently I upgraded my system to something I thought would run dcs in vr fine, But for some reason fbs seems to be locked at 36fps. It doesn't matter what mission or weather it's mp or not, once I got a stable 72fps in the hoggit training server. This was on the same settings as before (I use the dcs vr preset). The any suggestions on improving fps would be appreciated, my specs are below. 

I7-12700k

Rtx 3070

32gb ddr4 ram 3200

Dcs is on an ssd

Oculus quest 2

Windows 11

You have ASW enabled which will lock it down to half refresh rate unless you can beat the refresh rate (72Hz + a little overhead).  ASW works by rendering at half refresh rate (36Hz in this case) and generating synthetic frames to interpolate to alleviate GPU load, these synthetic frames make it appear as though you are achieving refresh rate of 72Hz so the image is smooth, however it can introduce some visual artifacts.  If the image is smooth then don't worry too much about it.

If you disable ASW it should display the actual framerate that your GPU can output, however it may well be less smooth.  I would hazard a guess that you should be around 55-65fps on Caucasus and 45-60fps on Syria.  With ASW enabled it will only ever display as 72 or 36 when using steamvr or the oculus runtime; if you switch to the openxr translator mod then it should release some additional performance and smooth things out.

For reference my system isn't a million miles from yours and I run openxr on my G2 at just under 90% resolution, high textures, medium everything else with low/flat shadows, no MSAA, tree/building factors at 0.7 (using Taz's tree mods) and can get pretty reliably get 70fps on Caucasus in the A10C or KA50.  I don't use reprojection (openxr equivalent of ASW) as I don't like the visual artifacting and openxr is very much smoother than steamvr.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

You have ASW enabled which will lock it down to half refresh rate unless you can beat the refresh rate (72Hz + a little overhead).  ASW works by rendering at half refresh rate (36Hz in this case) and generating synthetic frames to interpolate to alleviate GPU load, these synthetic frames make it appear as though you are achieving refresh rate of 72Hz so the image is smooth, however it can introduce some visual artifacts.  If the image is smooth then don't worry too much about it.

If you disable ASW it should display the actual framerate that your GPU can output, however it may well be less smooth.  I would hazard a guess that you should be around 55-65fps on Caucasus and 45-60fps on Syria.  With ASW enabled it will only ever display as 72 or 36 when using steamvr or the oculus runtime; if you switch to the openxr translator mod then it should release some additional performance and smooth things out.

For reference my system isn't a million miles from yours and I run openxr on my G2 at just under 90% resolution, high textures, medium everything else with low/flat shadows, no MSAA, tree/building factors at 0.7 (using Taz's tree mods) and can get pretty reliably get 70fps on Caucasus in the A10C or KA50.  I don't use reprojection (openxr equivalent of ASW) as I don't like the visual artifacting and openxr is very much smoother than steamvr.

thank you very much for the input, how do i disable ASW and whats openXR translator mod?

I have no idea, it should be somewhere in the oculus settings I would imagine.

The openxr translator has been developed for WMR headsets specifically but has been applied to most others as well.  There are some specifics to setting it up with the quest but I believe it's all in that thread, use the search function and you should get some results about it in there 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

You can disable it via oculus debug tool (it's in the oculus software installation folder) or can be disabled via oculus tray tool (you will have to download). 

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

• 3 weeks later...

im not sure if it is this, sometimes it struggles to maintain that 30fps its stuttery and sometimes the head tracking Dsyncs causing me to get really motion sick if anyone can help that would be great

23 hours ago, Toga10 said:

im not sure if it is this, sometimes it struggles to maintain that 30fps its stuttery and sometimes the head tracking Dsyncs causing me to get really motion sick if anyone can help that would be great

If your GPU can't achieve half of the refresh rate (when running steamvr or oculus runtimes) plus a little overhead it will disable ASW and it will get very janky. If you're running at 72Hz then that means you would need to be achieving around 40fps to keep ASW running.

The openxr runtime has a massive advantage with it's reprojection in that it can also at 1/3 and 1/4 of refresh rate of need be and can keep it much smoother at lower framerates.

Make sure your rig is fully optimised, have a look at Thuds blog for tuning and then go through all the rest of your settings as you should be able to get better performance than you are.

36 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

sir edmuss a simple question please?
When you say that my G2 has a resolution slightly lower than 90%, do you do this setting or exactly?
Thank you in advance for your answer🤗

All VR headsets have a native resolution that they're designed to run at.

You can scale the rendered image to be larger (supersampling) than this which results in generally better image quality but worse performance.

Alternatively...

You can scale the rendered image to be smaller (undersampling) than this which results in generally worse image quality but better performance.

The G2 has a render resolution on 3176 pixels wide at 100%. Currently I run at 2900 pixels wide (set using the resolution override in the openxr toolkit ingame menu) which is a little over 90% resolution (2900/3176x100=91.3%). The amount you supersample or undersample is entirely up to you based on your requirements and system performance.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

I gained 6fps by disabling grass on all maps and 10 fps on SA, since then I taxi and take off on SA at 15fps instead of 5 fps
then as soon as I reach 300 feet I turn to 30 lock
while waiting for the optimization of SA it is always that of winning.
If it can help other pilots!!
Have a nice flight everyone🤗

1 hour ago, PLUTON said:

I gained 6fps by disabling grass on all maps and 10 fps on SA, since then I taxi and take off on SA at 15fps instead of 5 fps
then as soon as I reach 300 feet I turn to 30 lock
while waiting for the optimization of SA it is always that of winning.
If it can help other pilots!!
Have a nice flight everyone🤗

And SA is what exactly? I am not too well versed in all the nomenclatures used these days. As a flight sim enthusiast only thing comes to my mind when seeing SA is situational awareness...

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, PhoenixRising said:

I believe they are referring to the new South Atlantic map.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Ahh ok thanks - take note to self.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I tried unlocking the fps
in the nvidia setting I replaced the setting (at half the frequency of the monitor) by setting (fast)
and I was surprised to see my fps increased which is logical but above all to have a very fluid image without stuttering on South Atlantic.🖖

so much better

31 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

I tried unlocking the fps
in the nvidia setting I replaced the setting (at half the frequency of the monitor) by setting (fast)
and I was surprised to see my fps increased which is logical but above all to have a very fluid image without stuttering on South Atlantic.🖖

so much better

I have been setting that to Fast for some time now, did not know if it was maybe placebo but seems I got better performance with it.

Don B