G2 won't connect WMR with 3090TI

F18mech

I have a new Rtx 3090TI from MSI. I had an alienware 3080. The headset worked with the 3080. It has a cable connection error from WMR of 1-4. I have plugged cable into the usb c 3.2 port as well as the usb a 3.0 with adapter..Has anyone had this issue and if so has a fix been found?

I have a MSI z590 mobo with 64 gb ram @3200,  2tb ssd. With windows 10. I have version 2 on the cable as the headset is only 5 weeks new...

Nvidia was no help on chat support and HP said they could not locate a matching serial number which just smoked me because the serial number is on the invoice I provided back to them in addition to a picture of the Headset label...

try enabling and disabling the WMR device in device manger 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

hace 4 horas, F18mech dijo:

I have a new Rtx 3090TI from MSI. I had an alienware 3080. The headset worked with the 3080. It has a cable connection error from WMR of 1-4. I have plugged cable into the usb c 3.2 port as well as the usb a 3.0 with adapter..Has anyone had this issue and if so has a fix been found?

I have a MSI z590 mobo with 64 gb ram @3200,  2tb ssd. With windows 10. I have version 2 on the cable as the headset is only 5 weeks new...

Nvidia was no help on chat support and HP said they could not locate a matching serial number which just smoked me because the serial number is on the invoice I provided back to them in addition to a picture of the Headset label...

sometimes happens to me with my 3080 ti, I solve it unpluggin and pluggin into the usb port, I noticed that in most cases happens when I plug first my joysticks devices and then try to connect the hmd, so, first I open WMR portal and then plug mi devices.

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

maybe try uninstalling the wmr program. then when you go to install it get the updated mixed reality portal program to install the headset. or you could try a PCIe usb adapter not a hub.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I had a similar issue when I upgraded from a GTX2080Ti to the RTX3090 because the 3090 didn't have an on-board USB C connector like my 2080Ti did.  I used the USB C to USB A adapter that came with my G2, and that fixed the problem for me.  But, the reason that worked is because I have an Inatek powered USB card plugged into the PCI Express X4 slot on my motherboard which is getting power from a connector that goes straight to my rig's power supply.  The USB C port on my motherboard, as well as the USB A ports on the motherboard just didn't have enough juice to run the headset reliably.  I started using that Inatek card way back in the days when I got my first VR headset, which was an Oculus Rift CV1, for the same reasons.  Motherboard USB power may not be enough, depending on how many other USB devices you have plugged in.  I have 3 external USB hard drives for file backup and audio/video server use which are on all the time, so my situation made the powered USB card necessary.  I'm pretty sure your issue is from coming up short on USB power.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Just checking the light on the box is On?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

14 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

I had a similar issue when I upgraded from a GTX2080Ti to the RTX3090 because the 3090 didn't have an on-board USB C connector like my 2080Ti did.  I used the USB C to USB A adapter that came with my G2, and that fixed the problem for me.  But, the reason that worked is because I have an Inatek powered USB card plugged into the PCI Express X4 slot on my motherboard which is getting power from a connector that goes straight to my rig's power supply.  The USB C port on my motherboard, as well as the USB A ports on the motherboard just didn't have enough juice to run the headset reliably.  I started using that Inatek card way back in the days when I got my first VR headset, which was an Oculus Rift CV1, for the same reasons.  Motherboard USB power may not be enough, depending on how many other USB devices you have plugged in.  I have 3 external USB hard drives for file backup and audio/video server use which are on all the time, so my situation made the powered USB card necessary.  I'm pretty sure your issue is from coming up short on USB power.

So your opinion is to add a pcIe usb card on slot 4 for additional power to the headset. I think I have read that before in many different posts...I have alot of usb devices used on my IO ports but nothing on the front port... may be worth a try...

Thanks for your time..

Maybe some older driver? Ive seen on Guru that "NVIDIA GeForce 512.77 WHQL drivers" and "NVIDIA GeForce 512.95 WHQL drivers" have noted:
image.png

So maybe other headset too...

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

PCIE add on card did nothing. The card worked but the cable still showed that the headset was not connected to the cable. I removed latest driver and tried stepping down to several older drivers with no success. I removed the 3090 and installed a AMD 6900ht. It connected to the headset but could not run WMR with any measurable quality. After several hours of troubleshooting, unplugging, plugging cussing, etc…etc… I ran across a post that suggested the step down from the latest driver to the previous driver for the 6900ht. It worked. 
I had connection and have spent the last couple of days tuning windows/cpu/GPU and open XR to get to some stable spot. I still have a way to go but can now sit on the carrier deck without the headset screen splitting like a slow turning comic book.

I have a service card submitted to msi for the 3090 asking them for a fix or just to return back to Amazon for refund. all other portions of rebuild/upgrade have been good. Looking forward to getting back to flying status. Plus got demoted back to Boot LT when I redownloaded dcs to new NVME drive…

Thanks for all replies and help

11 hours ago, F18mech said:

PCIE add on card did nothing. The card worked but the cable still showed that the headset was not connected to the cable.

Just to check that you didn't make the same mistake I did when installing the USB card, did you plug the power connector on top of the card into a spare power supply cable in your machine?  When I put mine in, I assumed the power receptacle on it was some sort of expansion port or something, so it didn't help anything on the first go.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

11 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

Just to check that you didn't make the same mistake I did when installing the USB card, did you plug the power connector on top of the card into a spare power supply cable in your machine?  When I put mine in, I assumed the power receptacle on it was some sort of expansion port or something, so it didn't help anything on the first go.

It just plugs in a PCIE slot. No power cords.

23 hours ago, Glide said:

I believe it's a known bug that the G2 can't talk to the 3090Ti yet.  Something with the cable.  According to the chatter on the MSFS forum.

Its known now on my forum... LOL

12 hours ago, F18mech said:

It just plugs in a PCIE slot. No power cords.

If the USB card you plugged into your PCIE slot doesn't have a connector on the inboard side to let you plug into a spare power supply cable inside your machine, its not going to give you any more power than what any of your motherboard USB ports can provide.  That won't do anything for you except compound the problem.  Not sure why they even sell non-powered PCIE USB cards.  LOL.  This is what I have in my machine that solved my "Connect Cable" issues on my G2 when I went from the 2080ti to 3090.  This or another brand with an internal power supply connection is what you need.  Some here have had trouble with the Inatek card, but mine has always been solid.  Note the extra connectors on the inboard side of the card in the pic, and the cables that are included for connecting it to your machine's power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by eaglecash867

On 6/15/2022 at 7:39 AM, eaglecash867 said:

If the USB card you plugged into your PCIE slot doesn't have a connector on the inboard side to let you plug into a spare power supply cable inside your machine, its not going to give you any more power than what any of your motherboard USB ports can provide.  That won't do anything for you except compound the problem.  Not sure why they even sell non-powered PCIE USB cards.  LOL.  This is what I have in my machine that solved my "Connect Cable" issues on my G2 when I went from the 2080ti to 3090.  This or another brand with an internal power supply connection is what you need.  Some here have had trouble with the Inatek card, but mine has always been solid.  Note the extra connectors on the inboard side of the card in the pic, and the cables that are included for connecting it to your machine's power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yup I see the cables you have but the one I bought did not have them.  The headset is working with a AMD Graphics card and worked with a RTX 3080 but would not connect the video DP cable slot on a 3090 TI.  I sent it back in...as I received crappy support from online help and no response from email requests...

That's kinda my point though.  If your USB card doesn't have those connections, its not going to do anything to help, because its still using bus power from the motherboard.  If your motherboard's bus power can't deliver enough current through that PCIEX4 slot, one card/headset combination may work while another combination doesn't.  But, as long as you were able to return the 3090ti for a full refund, I guess the other thing doesn't matter at this point.  Its a shame that MSI didn't provide you with better service, considering how much money you spent with them.

On 6/8/2022 at 7:44 PM, TylerPL666 said:

Maybe some older driver? Ive seen on Guru that "NVIDIA GeForce 512.77 WHQL drivers" and "NVIDIA GeForce 512.95 WHQL drivers" have noted:
image.png

So maybe other headset too...

Still the case with the latest 516.40 drivers

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/494630/geforce-grd-51640-feedback-thread-released-61522/

null

image.png

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

On 6/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, eaglecash867 said:

That's kinda my point though.  If your USB card doesn't have those connections, its not going to do anything to help, because its still using bus power from the motherboard.  If your motherboard's bus power can't deliver enough current through that PCIEX4 slot, one card/headset combination may work while another combination doesn't.  But, as long as you were able to return the 3090ti for a full refund, I guess the other thing doesn't matter at this point.  Its a shame that MSI didn't provide you with better service, considering how much money you spent with them.

Agree on the shame part but I bought off amazon. They have pretty good return services...Im actually going to mate the 6900XT with the 5800x3d cpu,  see where the sparks fly after that. By the way thanks for your time and effort in the replies.

Edited by F18mech
update