Help with skinning - F-5E

Labyrinth

Hello, 

First post here, so forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I've created my own skin for the F-5E, which is the livery of the fictional 1st DC Militia Corps (I have created this same skin in other sims too).  It is modified from the Mig-28 skin.

I recently tried creating another skin from this one, by modifying the vertical stabiliser with a "Tigermeet" style colouration.  As you can see from the pictures, work was carried out in GIMP, then saved the .dds file and created mipmaps, and updated the description .lua.  The skin appears as selectable in game, but when I do the vert stab is just plain black with no detail at all (the base colour).   For some reason the game is not loading the .dds file.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do to fix?

Many thanks!!

DC F-5E.jpg

Tigermeet.jpg

Edited by Labyrinth

CHSubZero, the screenshot I uploaded previously was my original skin which I am now trying to edit.  The original one worked fine, which makes it confusing why the new one will not work.  I have tried saving with various filenames and updating the .lua accordingly, but it never seems to make any difference.

STORM, I took a look at the Alpha channel - it was all already present, and I have tried removing and readding but still no effect.  How do you reimport the alpha channel?  Does it need to be added from somewhere?  

Screenshot shows the failure to load the Tigermeet skin in game...

PaintFailTail.jpg

Edited by Labyrinth

Thanks for clarifying things out.

First: When you don't need the alpha layer save the DDS file as DXT1.

Second: Could you post a screenshot of your folder of this TigerMeet skin and your "description.lua" file so we all could cross-check your naming and skin definition?

DDS1.jpg

Edited by CHSubZero

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

Thanks.  

I have been saving as type DXT1.

Screenshots below show:

1) Export settings when creating .dds file.

2) Structure of files in folder

3) Description.lua

Perhaps this will shed some light!?  Many thanks!

Export settings.jpg

File Folder.jpg

Description LUA.jpg

On 6/14/2022 at 6:48 PM, Megalax said:

Your texture isn't 2048x2048 so DCS doesn't recognize it.

Thank you!!!

That seems to have fixed it.  I hadn't noticed the size was different and hadn't realised it was so critical.  Lesson learned for next time!

For some reason, GIMP also kept changing the image size back whenever I tried to export it - I'm not sure what was going on (presumably some setting or history item I had left in place), but the only way to fix it was to copy the image and save it as a new selection, and save the file with a new filename - then it finally allowed me to export the DDS as 2048x2048.

I'll be careful to preserve the image size in future!

Still a little work to do on the skin but at least it shows up in game now!!

DC F-5E Tigermeet.jpg