Wiring diagram help

ISantus

1 hour ago, ISantus said:

I might revisit Arduino with a name brand board further down the line. Thanks for offerring your help. 

Sure.

Get an arduino MEGA 256 Rev3, original or not but be sure that it has those pins. Connect the Mega to the PC, get it working ok (try the "blink" sketch), then upload the Sketch from the link I posted. Bridge the two pins closest to the USB (the leftmost two in the picture) and them flash the new firmware. Unplug, plug back and enjoy heaven! If need be, try to PM and we should meet in discord and I guide you.

Saludos.

Saca111null

image.png

Edited by Sacarino111
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ISantus said:

Me again! The Bodnar board arrives today and I am ready to get this thing running in the next couple days. The question I have is how do I get 36 buttons to work on a controller that only has 32 inputs? I believe I would need to matrix some of them. If my math is correct I need to build a 3x4 matrix. That would require 7 wires for 12 switches thus reducing my needs to 31 inputs. Does this sound correct? 

Which Bodnar board?

1 hour ago, No1sonuk said:

Which Bodnar board?

32 input with connections. Everything I read says no matrix on it and after several Google searches it appears as though I am unable. I will either have to forfeit 4 buttons (not a deal breaker), or buy a second board it looks like

The 36-way ones have a 4-way hat plus 32 buttons.
If you don't need many more, I'd suggest an Arduino Pro Micro or Leonardo - those two can behave as HIDs with no special coding mods as they have the 32u4 processor which has built-in USB.  Just use the joystick library.
Size-wise, the Pro Micro is a little bit shorter than a Nano, and the Leonardo is the same basic form factor as the Uno.

12 hours ago, No1sonuk said:

The 36-way ones have a 4-way hat plus 32 buttons.
If you don't need many more, I'd suggest an Arduino Pro Micro or Leonardo - those two can behave as HIDs with no special coding mods as they have the 32u4 processor which has built-in USB.  Just use the joystick library.
Size-wise, the Pro Micro is a little bit shorter than a Nano, and the Leonardo is the same basic form factor as the Uno.

Sorry. I shoudl have clarified. I decided to go the Leo Bodnar route my my first attempt. This is limited to 32 and based on everything I have read, I am stuck at 32. The next board will likely be Arduino once I prove to myself I can do it. 🙂 

On 6/13/2022 at 4:24 PM, peachmonkey said:

you can take the easy route and use Bodnar boards. It doesn't need any programming. The ECU on it is recognized as a generic USB Joystick and you can hook up 32 or even 64 buttons to it, it's all plug'n'play really.

Wiring with bodnars is simple. Every button has 2 connectors, so the board provides a plug'n'play way for it, no need to solder anything, just plug the wires in and the board holds the wires in place via plastic tabs.

Encoders are basically button emulators, i.e. with every twist it emulates a button press, so a continuous turning of the knob will result in a subsequent button presses. Turning the knob to the right with emulate buttonX and turning to the left will emulate buttonY. With bodnar board you simply plug it in to 2 slots (one for each button). Encoders have 3 wire connectors, signalY-ground-signalX. With bodnar you'l connect SignalY-ground in to one button slot, and the remaining SignalX in to another button slot..

https://www.ricmotech.com/leo-bodnar-32-input-button-box-interface-board

Everything is done and she is working beautifully. Thank you so much for your help. I had to sacrifice 4 buttons since I didnt realize there was a 64 input board and I only purchased the 32. None the less, I am happy with everything. I had one last question. The Leo Bodnar software has a few settings that I am messing around with. In particular, after I setup the rotary encoders, what does the ratio change and what does the pulse width change? The F18 AMPCD brightness settings seems to take a lot of turns to get an adjustment and I am wondering if any of these settings might speed that up.