New FLIR

The new FLIR tweaks in this OB update are spot on! That is all! 

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Haven’t tried night or vr. Only had a quick minute to play, but day time is very much Improved

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Way better, still have to tweak the CONT and BRT a little at night. A moving target  :

image.png

Same from the FA18 :

image.png

Edited by Zarma
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

Still looks the same as before.

Regards

Screen_220608_194928.png

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

7 minutes ago, ZeeMan90 said:

Am I doing something wrong?

Still looks the same as before.

Regards

Screen_220608_194928.png

In this image you're not using the FLIR. Use the boat switch to change from CCD to FLIR.

Edited by Roosterfeet
  • Like 3

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

Thanks, but I would say that it is far from being spot on.

WHOT and BHOT for comparison. 

Screen_220608_205733.png

Screen_220608_205739.png

• Like 1

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

NineLine on Reddit:

...there are some vehicles and objects that do not have their FLIR textures yet, this has nothing to do with the aircraft themselves, but rather continued work on the new FLIR system. As well, some are not aware that currently, just placing a parked unit means that the unit is cold, with no heat signature. Something that will also come with FLIR improvements is hopefully placing vehicles with different heat states.

Edited by Hive

Infinitely better now , for example you can easily pick out the infantry at WP2 on Caucasus easy instant action; previously it was almost impossible to see then with the TGP.  @ZeeMan90 try adjusting the gain a little, stationary trucks will still be cold and dark but you can see the white/black hot glass windows on your examples.

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Still have to adjust gain/level/bright/contrast for the given amount of light, shadows, distance from target etc. the picture won’t be flawless 100% of the time, but the fact you can actually distinguish the vehicles from the ground, and pickup heat signatures of something as small as infantry, makes a world of difference in my book. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dragan said:

At night you can try zooming over OSB B-S from the default 150, I zoom in to 200, it helps me a lot in terms of visibility and clarity

That's not zoom. 🙂

It's the boresight, or in other words, how many mils the TGP looks down when it's uncaged or boresighted. What you just said is: having the TGP look 50 mils lower than default gives you a better picture. Well, you could just slew it down, that does the exact same thing. 😄

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 1:49 AM, Dragan said:

What are your settings in this first picture for A-10 night tasks, can you write? Thanks

You mean contrast and brightness ?

See below. Done on a quick mission I created with some moving targets and some cold targets at waypoint 1 to compare Apache, Hornet and Hog.

Screen_220612_111714.png

Screen_220612_111659.png

Comparaison FLIR.miz

Edited by Zarma

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Ummm...

BHOT - Oopsy

TGP 19.gif

WHOT - Oopsy

TGP 22.gif

MAV - Crosshairs

TGP 21.gif

Caldera

I attached a track of my last mission showing a-lot of what your screenshots show in a similar post in the bugs section. Looks like they released new FLIR before the majority of vehicles even have FLIR-rendered textures. Also issues in BHOT mode with vehicles showing white hot.

Edited by Sn8ke

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

On 6/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, Dragan said:

What are your settings in this first picture for A-10 night tasks, can you write? Thanks

This is not an issue on gains and levels, aka brightness and contrast. Simply said, it is an issue of how textures are rendered. I just hope we don’t have to wait an entire month+ for a fix…

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, Dragan said:

We have a similar setting for TGP, only with me: 20/35/30...But I have GAMMA 2 in options

IRL those infrared brightness/contrast settings will change from one place to another due to environmental factors. 

Snake,

1 hour ago, Sn8ke said:

IRL those infrared brightness/contrast settings will change from one place to another due to environmental factors. 

I wouldn't know for sure, but that makes sense.  In DCS it seems though, if you adjust for example WHOT then BHOT (CCD) becomes absolutely unusable and vice versa. 

Is that the case IRL?

MAV - This display got really wacked.  In the bottom picture the maneuvering cue cross is actually blinking and I am ready to shoot an AGM-65D.  Sometimes I can barely see it all, much less when it is blinking.

TGP 25.gif

TGP 26.gif

Caldera

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Snake,

I wouldn't know for sure, but that makes sense.  In DCS it seems though, if you adjust for example WHOT then BHOT (CCD) becomes absolutely unusable and vice versa. 

Is that the case IRL?

MAV - This display got really wacked.  In the bottom picture the maneuvering cue cross is actually blinking and I am ready to shoot an AGM-65D.  Sometimes I can barely see it all, much less when it is blinking.

TGP 25.gif

TGP 26.gif

Caldera

Don't forget you can use the boat switch to make the MAV symbology black, that will help in those photos.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Snake,

Is that the case IRL?

TGP 25.gif

TGP 26.gif

Caldera

I can not say for certain with the LITENING Pod, however I have hundreds of hours operating both the IR, EO (Day camera i.e. CCD) and blended modes on both FLIR 380 HDc and Wescam MX-10 pods. I was a law enforcement tactical flight officer on helicopters before I became a commercial airplane pilot. I worked night shift and was airborne about 6 hours a night on the pod. On those systems, white hot/ black hot were completely separate from the day camera, since they were literally different camera systems inside the pod. The adjustments (Gains and Levels) or brightness and contrast in the A-10 and other platforms take hours upon hours to master. A combination of using white hot or black hot on one search is common dependent on the surface…i.e. trees, brush, vs a big flat roof of a shopping mall building. We also had focus adjustments in addition to gains/ levels, which would be adjusted continuously as the auto focus was never the best. On black hot, under no circumstance is a hot surface going to come up as bright white as in some of the images above. One thing to remember is infrared technology isn’t a thermal sensor, it senses differences in frequencies of light. 

Edited by Sn8ke
  • Like 2

Jay,

14 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Don't forget you can use the boat switch to make the MAV symbology black, that will help in those photos.

Thanks, I did try that.  It does work, but is kind of annoying at times for me to do so. 

For some reason, when the MAV is SOI and I change it to BHOT then that also changes the TGP to BHOT.  So for example, if I have adjusted the TGP when using WHOT polarity then BHOT is useless.  If the TGP is in CCD mode it will switch to BHOT, as you know sometimes CCD is superior and sometimes it is useless.  If I am using Point Track in CCD then the track will be lost when it switches to BHOT. 

It can be disorientating and annoying.  I am waiting for the next patch on this one...

Caldera

For me the biggest problem of FLIR is IR textures of terrain. It hugely changes with distance and from close range it's sometimes impossible to spot even correctly textured vehicle. In some types of terrain the background IR noice is just ridiculous.

Foka,

7 minutes ago, Foka said:

For me the biggest problem of FLIR is IR textures of terrain. It hugely changes with distance and from close range it's sometimes impossible to spot even correctly textured vehicle. In some types of terrain the background IR noice is just ridiculous.

Yes...

Sometimes when I am mostly overhead I think vehicles below must be using active FLIR camo, while at a distance they would stand out against the background very well.  At those times even CCD might not work very well.   This is very noticeable on Caucasus map, while the desert maps seem OK.  I have not tested Marianas yet and do not own South Atlantic.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Jay,

Thanks, I did try that.  It does work, but is kind of annoying at times for me to do so. 

For some reason, when the MAV is SOI and I change it to BHOT then that also changes the TGP to BHOT.  So for example, if I have adjusted the TGP when using WHOT polarity then BHOT is useless.  If the TGP is in CCD mode it will switch to BHOT, as you know sometimes CCD is superior and sometimes it is useless.  If I am using Point Track in CCD then the track will be lost when it switches to BHOT. 

It can be disorientating and annoying.  I am waiting for the next patch on this one...

Caldera

IIRC, switching the boat switch while MAV is SOI will change the symbology color on the MAV and the polarity of the TGP.  If the TGP is SOI, the boat switch ONLY switches the TGP polarity.  So the trick is to change the color on the MAV, then with TGP SOI you can freely switch between BHOT, CCD and WHOT without changing the MAV page.

I agree pretty annoying, but I still have to say things are at least measurably better than the past few months

7 hours ago, Dragan said:

People, DSP doesn't work for me, does anyone else have the same problem ???

No, DISP adjusts the MFCD backlights perfectly fine for me.

Edited by jaylw314