So what will you use the SA map for?

lascaris

I've been toying with a couple ideas on what I'll do with the new map.

1. Do a proxy  refight of the Falklands using the closest available (I know they're not really close) assets, i.e. AV-8B and the Tarawa vs. whatever AI assets are available.

2.  A Falklands 2012 with a US supercarrier and assets against some hypothetical opponent with challenging equipment.

3. As others have stated a proxy for Norway in a Cold War goes hot scenario.

Curious what others are thinking of doing with the new toy.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lascaris said:

I've been toying with a couple ideas on what I'll do with the new map.

1. Do a proxy  refight of the Falklands using the closest available (I know they're not really close) assets, i.e. AV-8B and the Tarawa vs. whatever AI assets are available.

2.  A Falklands 2012 with a US supercarrier and assets against some hypothetical opponent with challenging equipment.

3. As others have stated a proxy for Norway in a Cold War goes hot scenario.

Curious what others are thinking of doing with the new toy.

They are releasing falklands assets so you don't need Tarawa (assets come in the next open beta I think)

But yes(as close as we can get to falklands, Norway 1943-2005.

But also some silly want ifs (Russian invasion of Alaska, both modern and cold war)

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

As Argentina is looking at the JF-17 to stand up their Airforce, it seems natural to use the Jeff as the Redfor jet in a modern Falklands conflict. This will be made even better when we get the Eurofighter, as 4 or 6 are currently stationed there for defense. 

I think the community will come up with more than a few real & fictional scenarios to make the map fun and useful. 

Just bought it, looks stunning.

But then while creating a quick flight in the editor just to be able to fly around a bit i realized that this map has one big drawback and that is the distance between the Falklands and the mainland (Argentina or Chile). I wonder how many will fly the entire distance for an attack run only to get shot on the first approach over the target and then hit the refly button for another go which will take yet again the same amount of time to get there?
Ex: A-10's will have a + one hour flight time to cross and one more to get back which makes it directly a +2 hour session and than i won't bring up heli's).
Then carriers come into play but this limits the amount of flyable aircraft by a big amount.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Just about everything.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

None of the above...

To me S.A. is "my Nevada": Flying realistic training missions as the Argentine Navy.

Of course first with "Alternative planes" and go full real when i finally get the Mb 339. (hopefully the Super Etandart and or A-4Qs some day)...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

But then while creating a quick flight in the editor just to be able to fly around a bit i realized that this map has one big drawback and that is the distance between the Falklands and the mainland (Argentina or Chile). I wonder how many will fly the entire distance for an attack run only to get shot on the first approach over the target and then hit the refly button for another go which will take yet again the same amount of time to get there?
Ex: A-10's will have a + one hour flight time to cross and one more to get back which makes it directly a +2 hour session and than i won't bring up heli's).
Then carriers come into play but this limits the amount of flyable aircraft by a big amount.

When you fly that kind of realistic mission parameters, the point of the mission is the experience of flying it with full procedures... If you get shot down, you normally end the session and write a debrief. Or at least that´s how hardcore full real squads function...

Hitting refly and trying again till you kill everything in the map is not my cup of tea...  Kind of "Airquake" in my mind...

You train hard and do your best. Some you win, others you loose. But in this manner every action has purpose and you don´t just "risk it" or go Rambo on the target. And if you did the best you could and bite the dust, then its all part of the experience.

Edited by Baco
  • Like 3

I will use it for flying.

I spend at least half my time in DCS just flying for fun. No Kaboom! I just enjoy flying the planes and choppers and farting around. This map looks to have some quality farting around to it.

But within a few days I'm sure I'll blow the **** out of something. If the whales can be put in the mission editor, and some boats made to hunt them, I'm going hutting whalers. And then there will be much Kaboom! Anyone or anything goes near a penguin and they're getting Mavericks for dinner and dessert in the afterlife.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Free Flight

Training

Combat

So everything I guess.

My go to for conflict background if there isn't any real life basis is that China is trying to expand its influence in whatever region of the world and then the US gets mad. Though with this particular map, it might be more than the US and UK get mad.

4 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

It's only 400 miles. I've made longer missions on the Gulf map.

Edited by Exorcet
  • Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

My go to for conflict background if there isn't any real life basis is that China is trying to expand its influence in whatever region of the world and then the US gets mad. Though with this particular map, it might be more than the US and UK get mad.

I posted along those lines a few months ago. I thought one of the campaign wizards could make a good futuristic campaign about China having a foothold in Argentine as a base to go to Antarctica and claim resources. The US/UK would set up shop in the Falklands and take issue with that there notion. 

Could make for a colourful campaign.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Use it for sight seeing initially, have a look at my former accommodation, work places etc.  fly to all the areas I’ve visited in real life, and then practice carrier ops. It’s the perfect map for that.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: