AIM-120 still can not chase simple Split S manuever.

opps

Stepping aside from the technical discussion for a minute...

The community is not interested in wonder weapons nor weird fantasy nor gamey mechanics. What we do want is (modern) missiles to be worthy of some respect. It doesn't go for the AIM-120 series alone.

Put shortly, if you allow your modern missiles (again not just the AMRAAM) to be defeated by simple maneuvers with minimal effort which exploit rather large weaknesses in your seeker/radar modeling, all other R&D effort is worth nothing.

What is the point in investing so much into developing higher fidelity flight models and guidance algorithms if missiles can simply be defeated well inside the kinematic NEZ with minimal risk?

The takeaway from reading this thread is that it is the developer's intention for a lookdown split S to be enough to defeat the 120. We don't even need to use chaff.

That is enough for anyone going up against that threat to not take it seriously. And that results in the current status quo: post after post complaining that shots are taken well within kinematic parameters but they are still easily shrugged off.

I would be interested in seeing the results of a simple public poll:
- Are you satisfied with the current gameplay and effectiveness of modern a/a missiles in DCS? yes/no

The fact the posts in this thread arguing towards an improvement or bugfix of the bug in question have accrued dozens of positive reactions makes me inclined to say I have an idea of how such a poll would go 🙂

People are frustrated because the NEZ is not a NEZ in DCS, it has not been for many years, and it is not showing signs of improvement. To clarify, I'm not saying notching or chaffing should have a flat 0% chance of success. But as it currently is, missiles are just not very deadly at all for anyone who knows how to exploit the seeker implementations. If this behavior is defended and upheld, it makes us all not very excited for any further work on missiles. The new FM and guidance stuff is amazing, and it's super fun to see all the details that have been modeled. Only for it to be soured and overshadowed by behaviors like the ones presented in this thread.

/resume technical discussion

Edited by Santi871
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

I would suggest you all wait again and let Маэстро continue his work he has planned, he is aware of your thoughts, and feel free to PM me if you have anything else to add. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Santi871 said:

I would be interested in seeing the results of a simple public poll:
- Are you satisfied with the current gameplay and effectiveness of modern a/a missiles in DCS? yes/no

That is a bad idea, we are trying to model the missiles as best we can in a way that matches reality to the best of available information. 

You say above you don't want gamey aspects, and want missile respect, but then you want a poll on whether people like the missiles or not, no. No it cannot work like that, and again we are getting way off topic. 

Again, this thread should be about valid information, not opinion or how we think they should function. Please stick to valid sources, you know the drill if you think its a 1.16, lets keep all the other chatter out of it. Please. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png