VR performance

YoYo

Guys... is this map was tested in VR? My first impressions are mixed, sorry 😑.

I tested low and slow, so Apache on Mount Pleasant and Ushuaia Heliport. I'm afraid that map works worse than Channel map. In Ushuaia Heliport I had 16-22 FPS (on 3090, lol) where on Syria (apart Aleppo) or Caucasus (not to mention PG, Normandy, Nevada) etc I have near stable 45 FPS for G2 (with motion reprojection on). Map has problem to keep stable 45 fps, this is what I saw.

I think it needs a BIG performance update (objects, grass, I dont know). Id like to know opinions from the others VR users. 

I dont use OpenXR (maybe it helps a little) and any shader mod. but I think without mods it should work fine, especially since I haven't seen the information that the map is not VR ready, hmmm :(.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I did literally 5 minutes in the AV8 from Port Stanley...no issue, 45FPS slight drop looking at the airfield (down to 30FPS). However, no other assets on the map no scripts etc etc

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

39 minutes ago, YoYo said:

I tested low and slow, so Apache on Mount Pleasant and Ushuaia Heliport. I'm afraid that map works worse than Channel map. In Ushuaia Heliport I had 16-22 FPS (on 3090, lol) where on Syria (apart Aleppo) or Caucasus (not to mention PG, Normandy, Nevada) etc I have near stable 45 FPS for G2 (with motion reprojection on). Map has problem to keep stable 45 fps, this is what I saw.

I think it needs a BIG performance update (objects, grass, I dont know). Id like to know opinions from the others VR users. 

I dont use OpenXR (maybe it helps a little) and any shader mod. but I think without mods it should work fine, especially since I haven't seen the information that the map is not VR ready, hmmm :(.

I am experiencing the same in VR. Starting from ground level the map is unplayable. I tried several locations and always got the same result.

As soon as I was above around 1000 feet from the ground however, all was nice and smooth. This was also the case in multiple places. Below 1000feet AGL=stutters. Above 1000feet AGL= nice and smooth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NightstalkerNOR said:

I am experiencing the same in VR. Starting from ground level the map is unplayable. I tried several locations and always got the same result.

As soon as I was above around 1000 feet from the ground however, all was nice and smooth. This was also the case in multiple places. Below 1000feet AGL=stutters. Above 1000feet AGL= nice and smooth

I see many flowers, maybe this? 😂 

I hope they will do something with optimalisation here. For copters and low and slow this map could be immersion killer.

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 minute ago, Strikeeagle345 said:

Fine in VR for me. Performs better than Syria, imo.

I was just about to report the same thing.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

12 minutes ago, Strikeeagle345 said:

Interesting.

Where did you fly, and at what altitudes? Everything was working perfect for me until I descended below 1000 feet AGL.

What in-game settings do you have? I have no issues playing other maps with heavy scripted missions (ie. Liberation), and I took off from the SA map without any scripts or other units. Just myself. So I suspect there may be a significant setting that impact the performance so heavily

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Strikeeagle345 said:

Do You use any VR mod? What altitude? Where have you been? You are on GTX 1070 and its ok? WOW :smilewink:? Sell me your GPU pls!!!

Tested Rio Gallegos , 300 ft, urban area, 10 minutes of circles, stutter like a hell.

btw.

In Syria urban areas (bigger and more detailed work better for me, no issue like here. Outside urban areas here its ok but it is also very empty, even no any bushes like on Syria map.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

23 minutes ago, Strikeeagle345 said:

Taking off in the Huey from Ushuaia, on a 340 heading, I get object drop outs (all buildings) for one eye (switches to other eye when I turn my head) while overflying town, same happens in a Hornet. 

Performance is so-so in on a 2080Ti with a Vive Pro 2

This map works in VR, but IMHO I have better performance in Syria (Haifa) than Chile.

Lighting reminds me of home (I hail from the North), very nice. Map still needs a lot of work, but I'm glad I have it, definitely want to support this project.

1 hour ago, NightstalkerNOR said:

Interesting.

Where did you fly, and at what altitudes? Everything was working perfect for me until I descended below 1000 feet AGL.

What in-game settings do you have? I have no issues playing other maps with heavy scripted missions (ie. Liberation), and I took off from the SA map without any scripts or other units. Just myself. So I suspect there may be a significant setting that impact the performance so heavily

I just jumped into the Huey at Port Stanley and spun around that sunken ship, blanco bay and neighboring villages.  I was flying between 20' and 100' AGL.  Airspeed about 80kts.  This is a complete vanilla install.  100% base after the update.  The mission was JUST the huey - no scripts, nothing.

I am fully willing to concede my tolerance for less than ideal VR performance might not meet the standards of other more hardcore enthusiasts.  

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I did a bit of test flying myself, first took off with the Harrier on Punta Arenas and did a tour over the mainland, then with the Gazelle from Port Stanley over the Falklands.
The VR performance for me really is a mixed bag. I´d say for the most part it is one of the best performing maps, similar to Persian Gulf... 
...as long as you steer clear of urban areas. As soon as there are more than 10-20 houses in view, I get massive FPS drops.

Over Rio Grande or Punta Arenas, the performance is comparable to Marianas Islands, unfortunately.

Looks great though, textures are great, water looks nice, I found penguins ...
But yeah, it still needs a lot of work, many unfinished areas.

Edited by Eugel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eugel said:

I´d say for the most part it is one of the best performing maps, similar to Persian Gulf... 
...as long as you steer clear of urban areas. As soon as there are more than 10-20 houses in view, I get massive FPS drops.

Exactly, I have the same feelings. Something is wrong in urban areas here.  It's good that it's EA and we have so few of them yet ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Overall I'm not having issues in VR. I would say it's comparable to the Syria map, maybe a bit better. Now, they have a lot of work to do still so time will tell. It could get better or it could go the other way with more texture detail added. 

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

Seems to be huge gaps in the performance between players.

Some claim 11fps, others say its perfectly fine. Might be worth seeing if the map somehow doesn't work on certain headsets or see if there is some commonality for those that struggle in VR on this map.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I am going back on what I wrote earlier. I initially (on the first test run) had very limited FPS, making takeoffs, landings and low flight practically impossible.

However, I tried the map again at the same locations and the results are totally different, on the positive side. The same as any other maps, really. 

EDIT: oh, and I made no changes to the settings.

Edited by NightstalkerNOR

I have nasty nasty stuttering in VR as well...and Im using OpenXR and other performance enhancing mods on an otherwise empty map. Mid teens at best. Can quality that further with fact I can get 90fps in the Apache in Syria.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

Im grabbing it now, we have similar PC specs, and both have similar Marianas performance on our rigs, ill be running OpenXR with my settings I use for Syria and will report back with low level heli flights in various places.

My VR experience on this map:

95% of the map runs fine performance wise but any larger settlement tanks the frame rate hard so that I'm often below the 30fps target for OpenXR MR...not a good experience.

The settlements on this map are far smaller than the cities on the Syria map but the performance is far worse.

However, when Syria was released the VR performance was pretty bad and Ugra improved it significantly since then, so I'm hoping that Razbam will also be able to improve the performance on this map in the coming months...

Edited by lax22
  • Like 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

OK for VR, straight from the install using Steam VR and a quick mission i made it ran fine better than the Marianas, my FPS never dropped below 38 which was over towns and down low in the Apache (No AI units though), I have posted my current settings using a 3090, 64gb ram i9 10850K

I flew out of all the airports available

Its impressive for EA and such a big map, I'm happy with my purchase based on what Razbam have said and i have seen, the Falkland's is obviously the most finished part as far as textures go but i really didn't see anything that I thought wow that looked crap and i flew out of all the available airports in jets (F16 & MC200) and helicopters (AH64), it certainly will bring a another good map to DCS.

But boy its large and I cant see it all being used for missions as there is so much space to utilize and really around the Chile area there isn much in the way of towns or infrastructure yet (but it is remote).

The Falklands were just as my dad describe a wind swept crap hole with nothing but wet areas and boggy swamps and not much vegetation, it looks great.

Its going to be interesting to see what type are missions will be built, I can see them being very localized to areas which will be quite good as the terrain is varied and very different than the Cacucus.

Compared to the tiny Marianas map this runs so much smoother and is 1 millions times larger 🙂

For an EA I give it 8/10

Screen_220603_165331.png

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 3

i got good fps in the falklands islands all the way to gallegos airport. the further inland I went, the worse it got.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins