VR performance

YoYo

I also just noticed that in desktop (outside vr) I get a whopping 30fps at Gallegos in the A-10CII. I have MSAA @ 2x, my parameters for running in VR.

Screen_220608_223430.png

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Only a few hours in, I really like the map. I get incredible performance anywhere south of Punta Arenas. HOWEVER, around there and anywhere north, I can't go below 1000ft without vomit inducing stutter. Getting the camera above 1000ft, in cockpit or via external view, immediately fixes the issue.

6 hours ago, lax22 said:

I'm often below the 30fps target for OpenXR MR...not a good experience.

Yes, I tested with OpenXR + MR too. Its better (and I recomended it too for SA map), I agree, but its a kind of "VR mod" for DCS. We need optimalization of urban area here for stock DCS.

2 hours ago, santa8086 said:

I can't go below 1000ft without vomit inducing stutter. Getting the camera above 1000ft, in cockpit ....

Maybe here is a LOD issue of objects? Its case of FPS drop, I dont know. The biggest drop and good place to see the poor perfomance is  Ushuaia Heliport and doing some circles to 400ft around the city. My GPU card is kneeling here (but the urban area is really small!) :wassat:. 

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

if theres a lod issue, it errs on the low side because Im having a hard time believing the LOD is this poor. it brings me back to flying around FSX with ORBX products.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Tested with both Mirage over Chile/Argentina low and high level and Huey over Falklands. Frames were mostly at max available (72 @72hz Oculus) It drops in populated areas but never below 36. A lot more stable compared to Mariannas and close to Syria in performance. Obviously there are textures of lower quality but is a vast map and in EA.

I love the diverse scenery and the colors.

I still need to see how the map behaves under heavy stress in a multiplayer 

Overall happy customer!

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Did any of you guys experience the screens flickering, sometimes even turning off for a second or two? I have an old CV1, and haven't update drivers in a while, might this be the cause?

As for general performances, yesterday I only managed to make a couple of flights, one around Ushuaia, one over East Falkland. I have a Ryzen 7 2700X, 32 GB of 3200MT/s RAM, a 2 TB 980 Pro (although installed in a x2, PCI-E 3 slot) dedicated to DCS, and a GTX 1070.

In general, above a certain altitude (say, at least 5/6 thousand feet), fps are decent enough to perceive what happens around me as fluid, especially on the Islands; once below it, Falklands remains fluid enough, even though a concentration of human made objects does slow down things quite a bit (say, over Stanley), the mainland becomes a slideshow around cities, or in areas where there are many trees (things are better over glaciers and fiords).

26 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Tested with both Mirage over Chile/Argentina low and high level and Huey over Falklands. Frames were mostly at max available (72 @72hz Oculus) It drops in populated areas but never below 36. A lot more stable compared to Mariannas and close to Syria in performance. Obviously there are textures of lower quality but is a vast map and in EA.

I love the diverse scenery and the colors.

I still need to see how the map behaves under heavy stress in a multiplayer 

Overall happy customer!

The map outside urban places has great performance (not many objects etc), the problem is in urban area.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

6 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I also just noticed that in desktop (outside vr) I get a whopping 30fps at Gallegos in the A-10CII. I have MSAA @ 2x, my parameters for running in VR.

Screen_220608_223430.png

Your CPU times for Present are high. I think this means background apps are draining CPU. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

What I see, trees has a problem too, so maybe the issue in optimalization is here. Fly low, 100-200 ft AGL in trees area (where there are many of them), but look to right or left fairly (head 90deg, keep it longer). You will notice stutter too (MR has a problem to achive stable FPS). This isnt present on Caucasus or Syria map. So to FPS checking and improving:

- urban areas
- trees (more FPS friendly)

• Like 2

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

2 minutes ago, YoYo said:

What I see, trees has a problem too, so maybe the issue in optimalization is here. Fly low, 100-200 ft AGL in trees area (where there are many of them), but look to right or left fairly (head 90deg, keep it longer). You will notice stutter too (MR has a problem to achive stable FPS). This isnt present on Caucasus or Syria map. So to FPS checking and improving:

- urban areas
- trees (more FPS friendly)

Agreed, my experience as well.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, NightstalkerNOR said:

I am going back on what I wrote earlier. I initially (on the first test run) had very limited FPS, making takeoffs, landings and low flight practically impossible.

However, I tried the map again at the same locations and the results are totally different, on the positive side. The same as any other maps, really. 

EDIT: oh, and I made no changes to the settings.

I am correcting myself.

I just did some testing again in Chile/Argentina as well as in the Falklands. After a while, 15 or so minutes, the FPS plummets to the unplayable, especially in any critical phase of the flight, ie. landings and nap of the earth flying. It only happens after passing below 900 feet AGL. It kicks in most frequently around 850 ft. AGL. No matter what terrain type, elevation or vegetation. 850 ft. AGL consequently = massive FPS loss. Staying above 850 ft. AGL is smooth flight

I tried to adjust terrain textures settings to low. No effect.

Edited by NightstalkerNOR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gianky said:

Did any of you guys experience the screens flickering, sometimes even turning off for a second or two? I have an old CV1, and haven't update drivers in a while, might this be the cause?

As for general performances, yesterday I only managed to make a couple of flights, one around Ushuaia, one over East Falkland. I have a Ryzen 7 2700X, 32 GB of 3200MT/s RAM, a 2 TB 980 Pro (although installed in a x2, PCI-E 3 slot) dedicated to DCS, and a GTX 1070.

In general, above a certain altitude (say, at least 5/6 thousand feet), fps are decent enough to perceive what happens around me as fluid, especially on the Islands; once below it, Falklands remains fluid enough, even though a concentration of human made objects does slow down things quite a bit (say, over Stanley), the mainland becomes a slideshow around cities, or in areas where there are many trees (things are better over glaciers and fiords).

Hi Gianky,

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 too and used it with GTX 1070 for around 2 years. Today I use it was an AMD RX 6800XT. The behavior with both screens flickering/turning off for some seconds, or maybe just one, is something I had seen twice, but I was not able to reproduce it. Some month later, while haven't used the Rift for some time, I noticed a missing sound from the right speaker. Inside the Rift there is a ribbon cable, that starts on the right side, goes around your head (right ear > back > left ear) and is responsible for audio and sensors on the back of the headset > this one was broken and it is not a rare phenomenon. I bought my Rift at Oculus when the Rift S was around the corner and luckily had warranty when it happened. After I got a new (refurbished) headset from Oculus I first fixed the right headstrap - I used black armored tape. The left headstrap is still able to move, but there is no ribbon cable that could broke. My recommendation for you is to do this as long as your CV1 is working. If you need more help, I could send you a picture that shows my Rift with fixed headstrap.

have a good flight and see you in DCS,

Carsten (Dino1981)

Edited by Dino1981

Intel i7 3770 (@4,1GHz), NVIDIA GTX 1070, 16GB RAM 1600MHz, Microsoft Sidewinder 2, Windows 10 Professional, Oculus Rift :pilotfly:

4 hours ago, Gianky said:

Yes I have this also when I am below 800ft AGL. It only has occurred on this map and happens irrespective of what the local terrain is. It was suggested to me to turn off mirrors to help this but I have not tried that yet. My system is pretty new and of reasonable specs (RTX3080, i7 11700, Quest 2 with cable, 32GB, SSD load.)

For me the texture pop in on this map is way worse than on other maps with the same settings.

Especially buildings pop in very late which is pretty distracting…

Edited by lax22

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

5 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Your CPU times for Present are high. I think this means background apps are draining CPU. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes and no. Yes it being background items, no is that its almost exclusively DCS. My rig is very much optimized for VR in DCS and MSFS. That meaning theres not much more fat I can trim in the background process. I normally get 120fps in 2D..and believe me when I say my background process is 93% lean ground beef.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

14 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Yes and no. Yes it being background items, no is that its almost exclusively DCS. My rig is very much optimized for VR in DCS and MSFS. That meaning there's not much more fat I can trim in the background process. I normally get 120fps in 2D..and believe me when I say my background process is 93% lean ground beef.

Fair enough, yes my rig is well trimmed for too. However in a similar set up (on SA map) I get 7.X present and over 100fps. SA map seems to run really well.

21 hours ago, NightstalkerNOR said:

Interesting.

Where did you fly, and at what altitudes? Everything was working perfect for me until I descended below 1000 feet AGL.

What in-game settings do you have? I have no issues playing other maps with heavy scripted missions (ie. Liberation), and I took off from the SA map without any scripts or other units. Just myself. So I suspect there may be a significant setting that impact the performance so heavily

I have most settings on high (shadows included) with MSAA at 2x. I have good performance all over the map.

21 hours ago, YoYo said:

Do You use any VR mod? What altitude? Where have you been? You are on GTX 1070 and its ok? WOW :smilewink:? Sell me your GPU pls!!!

Tested Rio Gallegos , 300 ft, urban area, 10 minutes of circles, stutter like a hell.

btw.

In Syria urban areas (bigger and more detailed work better for me, no issue like here. Outside urban areas here its ok but it is also very empty, even no any bushes like on Syria map.

No VR Mods, running a G2 with steamVR. Altitudes from the ground on up to 60,000ft (apache downlow, jets up high). Flying all over the map (including the populated areas). I'm on a 2080. Runs the same as Syria in the urban areas (45FPS) and better when I get away from them (west / northwest) 60+FPS.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

The only areas I can get to run well are Falklands and the southern tip of the continent...and that last place looks really rough in development.

• Like 2

My wallpaper and skins

I did some more testing and it seems to me that the problem lies with shadows.
If I turn them off completely, I get pretty smooth framerates, even at Ushuaia.

If I set them even just to "low" - stutters like crazy over the city.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Strikeeagle345 said:

I have most settings on high (shadows included) with MSAA at 2x. I have good performance all over the map.

No VR Mods, running a G2 with steamVR. Altitudes from the ground on up to 60,000ft (apache downlow, jets up high). Flying all over the map (including the populated areas). I'm on a 2080. Runs the same as Syria in the urban areas (45FPS) and better when I get away from them (west / northwest) 60+FPS.

Sorry but It cant be true or you do inaccurate tests (you wrote also that near all in settings you have on High level). It isnt possible to have stable FPS on urban area and near trees (larger forest). If you are in the cosmos, you can reach good FPS or when you are on empty places - here right but not on low, urban/airports level below 1000ft. Im on 3090, not on 2080 and see here an issue, like many in this topic. What I wrote before, if your GPU has stable 45 fps and you gaurantee this, sell me it, I'll pay the price of 3090. ☝️

Few next topic about performance problem (and you havent it, really strange):

(I see that on urban area some people in 2D have 25-30 FPS).

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

17 hours ago, santa8086 said:

Only a few hours in, I really like the map. I get incredible performance anywhere south of Punta Arenas. HOWEVER, around there and anywhere north, I can't go below 1000ft without vomit inducing stutter. Getting the camera above 1000ft, in cockpit or via external view, immediately fixes the issue.

So, I had a chance to test my own issue a bit more. The problem isn't location based, as I first thought. I changed some graphical settings individually and narrowed my FPS drop near ground level down to the Textures setting (the first one on the Systems tab in options). Setting that to High causes the severe stutter at low altitudes, setting to medium completely clears the issue. It is a pretty severe difference, and only occurs at low altitude, so in my mind it still fits in the "bug" classification. My system can easily handle the High setting on the other maps.

Anyway, hope this might help someone, somehow!

Edited by santa8086

I want to get this map but I am hoping they will find the issue if it is textures and address it. Looks like a nice map overall.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

6 hours ago, santa8086 said:

So, I had a chance to test my own issue a bit more. The problem isn't location based, as I first thought. I changed some graphical settings individually and narrowed my FPS drop near ground level down to the Textures setting (the first one on the Systems tab in options). Setting that to High causes the severe stutter at low altitudes, setting to medium completely clears the issue. It is a pretty severe difference, and only occurs at low altitude, so in my mind it still fits in the "bug" classification. My system can easily handle the High setting on the other maps.

Anyway, hope this might help someone, somehow!

just for reference, what are your hardware specs ? 
In my tests yesterday it made zero difference if I set the textures to high or low. And I can fly 50 feet off the ground without any stutters pretty much everywhere.
The problem starts over airfields, larger cities or areas with lots of trees. Also, from a certain distance, those are fine, it starts when I get very close. So I think it could be LOD related, or as I wrote earlier, shadows.

I´m on a Ryzen 5800X, 32 GB Ram, RTX3090 and Windows 10

• Like 2

anyone else noticing in this map that theres a lot of aliasing? even at 2xMSAA and 16xSSAA, aircraft, terrain and clouds seem to be just jagged edges and Ive only noticed it happening on this map. I know that really sounds weird....

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

29 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

anyone else noticing in this map that theres a lot of aliasing? even at 2xMSAA and 16xSSAA, aircraft, terrain and clouds seem to be just jagged edges and Ive only noticed it happening on this map. I know that really sounds weird....

I noticed this but its different subject, not performance 😉. On the map you have many shorelines, here is reason of this impression I suppose.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif