VR performance

YoYo

13 hours ago, YoYo said:

My favorite airport USHUAIA, before patch I had it here 16-18 FPS (mostly, EDITED: however I checked my screenshots above and I had 32 too, so no any changes, stutter was present still), now I have about 32-33. Its still not perfect (stable 45 FPS for G2) and its far from the other map but it's small step forward. The other way - in Port Stanley city I dont see any differents before and after patch. 

I just did a little tour with the Gazelle. At Ushuaia, I get the same, almost unplayable, stutters as before, but it was the first time I saw a stutter-free Stanley Port. Granted, I did not run any FPS counter, it was just a subjective eyeball measurement. So it could be that there were also some more FPS at Ushuaia as well. But Stanley Port ran noticably better than before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eugel said:

I just did a little tour with the Gazelle. At Ushuaia, I get the same, almost unplayable, stutters as before, but it was the first time I saw a stutter-free Stanley Port. Granted, I did not run any FPS counter, it was just a subjective eyeball measurement. So it could be that there were also some more FPS at Ushuaia as well. But Stanley Port ran noticably better than before.

Yes, so I think its only best wishes and placebo effect 😅.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I just flew for an hour in the SA map in the Hornet. Average fps was around 35, dipped to 23 in some areas and as low as 15 around ushuaia. Wasnt all that stuttery though, but I only toured the south end of Argentina. Some of the airports still gave me some serious stuttering, but just around the airports.  This map still has a long way to go...

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 3

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

You guys really made me wonder if I'm looking at a placebo or not 😅.

So I did some additional testing and tried with different planes and on different locations on the map, as some of you have reported different performance on different spots. My setup is "calibrated" to get solid 45 FPS on the Syria map when flying over Beirut with some clouds (OpenXR, no reprojection, locked at 45 FPS using RivaTuner). 

Low level flying for me works great in the region of Ushuaia. I'm even able to land having 45 FPS with some occasional drops. Over the Falklands however, I can still see drops in FPS but less dramatic than before. On the northern part over the Argentinian mainland and especially over the bigger cities performance still drops to 25-30 FPS. But still, this is much better than the slideshow mode I used to get in the previous version where at low level I was down to unusable 10-15 FPS. 

Bottom line: you can already have fun on the map in VR especially if you fly high. Some regions seem to work better at low level then others, but there is definitely progress. I already fell in love with the region I'm looking forward to see this map continue its journey. 

• Like 2

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

3 hours ago, Bowman-011 said:

You guys really made me wonder if I'm looking at a placebo or not 😅.

So I did some additional testing and tried with different planes and on different locations on the map, as some of you have reported different performance on different spots. My setup is "calibrated" to get solid 45 FPS on the Syria map when flying over Beirut with some clouds (OpenXR, no reprojection, locked at 45 FPS using RivaTuner). 

Low level flying for me works great in the region of Ushuaia. I'm even able to land having 45 FPS with some occasional drops. Over the Falklands however, I can still see drops in FPS but less dramatic than before. On the northern part over the Argentinian mainland and especially over the bigger cities performance still drops to 25-30 FPS. But still, this is much better than the slideshow mode I used to get in the previous version where at low level I was down to unusable 10-15 FPS. 

Bottom line: you can already have fun on the map in VR especially if you fly high. Some regions seem to work better at low level then others, but there is definitely progress. I already fell in love with the region I'm looking forward to see this map continue its journey. 

This is good news. I use a G2 as well and just got my 3090ti Hybrid. I was able to play well enough on Marianas last night for the first time and hopefully SA is about as good. I may go ahead and buy the map then.I dont use OpenXr though since I had no perf gains with it and the game actually looked a lot worse for me. I tried many different settings in the OpenXR menu with NIS and tried all the different FFR and resolution scaling. I run steamvr again with the reshade and FXAA mod at 85% steam SS and get pretty usable FPS in most situations with MSAA at 2x but turned view distance to medium and terrain textures to low and shadows off. 

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

3 hours ago, Bowman-011 said:

OpenXR....

Pls, if you do tests it dont use any performance mods, it falsifies the comparisons. No shader mod or OpenXR. I havent it and I dont see any differences. Im sure near 100% that devs didnt do any changes beacuse no any info about it in the last changelog. If it works for you with OpenXR mod well, congratulations, for me not :(.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Sorry that you don't see an improvement. You're correct, OpenXR will have an impact on performance. But this accounts for many other things as well like viewing distance, texture resolution, NVIDIA settings or the resolution I use on my headset. Personally, I don't consider OpenXR as a mod since in the meantime it leaves the DCS installation completely untouched. It's a part of my current setup and I mentioned it, to give anyone else a chance to put my results into context.

My claim is just that with the first release of the map I got potato performance and now I get at least acceptable performance. Same system, no setup or config changes. 

Let's not forget, this is the first patch after the map release. Just think about how long we're already waiting for things like multithreading, Vulkan API or a fix for the flickering clouds in VR . Best hope: RTX 4090 is only a couple of months out 😁

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

8 hours ago, Bowman-011 said:

Sorry that you don't see an improvement. You're correct, OpenXR will have an impact on performance. But this accounts for many other things as well like viewing distance, texture resolution, NVIDIA settings or the resolution I use on my headset. Personally, I don't consider OpenXR as a mod since in the meantime it leaves the DCS installation completely untouched. It's a part of my current setup and I mentioned it, to give anyone else a chance to put my results into context.

My claim is just that with the first release of the map I got potato performance and now I get at least acceptable performance. Same system, no setup or config changes. 

Let's not forget, this is the first patch after the map release. Just think about how long we're already waiting for things like multithreading, Vulkan API or a fix for the flickering clouds in VR . Best hope: RTX 4090 is only a couple of months out 😁

Dont count on 40 series by October. I just saw the latest news from several sources online that said we may not see 40 series until 2nd quarter 2023 because Nvidia is sitting on a ton of 30 series chips that they cant just toss in the garbage. Their only choice is to sell them before they launch 40 series. This is why they recently reduced the pricing on new 30 series. I picked up my 3090ti Hybrid for $700 less than retail. 

• Like 3

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, BMGZ06 said:

Dont count on 40 series by October. I just saw the latest news from several sources online that said we may not see 40 series until 2nd quarter 2023 because Nvidia is sitting on a ton of 30 series chips that they cant just toss in the garbage. Their only choice is to sell them before they launch 40 series. This is why they recently reduced the pricing on new 30 series. I picked up my 3090ti Hybrid for $700 less than retail. 

4090 will be in this year, probably October, 80 and 70 will be in 2023. They moved the relese of those two GPU from three but I dont think it doesnt help for SA map a lot. 

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Why still no any fix for this situation? I see the new changelog and no any info about optimalizations:

I have read that you use different SDK than Ugra Media and ED (own?), maybe here is a problem of FPS issue. Maybe the good idea is to convert the scenery by default ED SDK (just guessing)?

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I might have just missed it but so far I have not had any acknowledgement that there is a problem. I really hope it gets fixed because I have serious buyers remorse. I would like to start using the map soon. 

Edited by Jacodv201
  • Thanks 1

Running no mods and this is much smoother than Syria and the Marianas Island. Still running an older system with a 1080ti.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

9 hours ago, Gunrun_KS said:

Running no mods and this is much smoother than Syria and the Marianas Island. Still running an older system with a 1080ti.

So sell me your 1080Ti if you guarantee to have stable 45fps on ground level (with my settings http://yoyosims.pl/sites/default/files/Obrazki/WMR/dcs_vr_settingsmain.jpg in Usuaia airport for example) or I can give you my 3090 😅 😅 😅 . Of course, you can always turn everything off in the options and limit the resolution to 800x600 and I'm sure it will be super smooth, especially if you start flying at altitude 🤭. Above you have thorough tests of FPS and map behavior. If you have totally different feelings pls do the same proofs, according me it isnt true what you wrote or you did wrong tests and comparisions. Its just not possible, sorry (or maybe do you use downscaling?). If you want to discuss it further, pls post the evidence in the form of screenshots (or VR video with an FPS counter), in the same locations and in the same directions and your settings of gogles and settings of DCS. We have dozen of posts here about the issue on the SA map with FPS so if you have the "Holy Grail" for this show it to us as well. Amen.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Yesterday I tried to landing in some airfields with the F1 and it was a disaster.

Near the airfield, below 800 feet approx, I had always extremely low fps (5 to 20 pfs) and in some cases, DCS and steamVR crashed

To be a little fair (I think that the F1 also has certain resolution problems in VR) I decided to fly other aircraft like the A4E or M2000. In both cases I got a fairly substantial fps drop, not as extreme as F1 but quite uncomfortable (around 20-25fps).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

Hi, I have exact same issues as users above - VERY low, single digit FPS on the ground - and no VR.

My PC is brand new with Kingston FuryBeast 32GB RAM, i9-12900KF, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, the sim is running on M.2 PCIe SSD.

No mods, fresh Win10, no other apps running, using reasonable 1920-1200 res.

There is no chance its my system, every other map (including Syria over Beirut) is running stellar, on High to Ultra.

Falklands poor performance near ground or any city is not, I repeat, not affected by reducing sliders/settings.

I hope the team will at least let us know that they acknowledge this issue, as overall the map IS GREAT.

Best regards,

Bart

Edited by bart86pl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Is it any kind of light in the dark coridor? 🙂

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

For me yeah...I went back to TrackIR. Im sick of VR. Ive flown 99% less since having got VR and switched from TrackIR; it may be awesome and amazing, but holy crap if it isnt a damned hassle everytime I want to fly. Makes it a tad bit easier to make movies too...

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 1 month later...

I was the same until I upgraded to a 3090TI

fantastic maxed out graphics

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

• 1 month later...

Ok, finally looks like the map started to work a lot better than before. Hard to tell me its a my new GPU or last OB patches. Maybe mix of this two cases. I did a patch myself, bought 4090 and now SA map is playable for me. Tested 3h and looks like finally I can back to SA map and I enjoy it already. Stable 45 fps with good timeing. Even in Ushuaia it works ok. Maybe I'll finally spend more time here and start enjoying the new map I bought almost a year ago ;).

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Hi,

I just had another go with the SA map today - sigh - the performance of this map is still very bad on my system. I do not understand why?
Take off with the Mirage F1 (Instant Action - Take off mission) on the runway I get ~45 fps, after gaining some altitude (3000 ft) I get ~60 fps,
turning N heading for Santa Cruz landing strip at 3000 - 6000 ft I have a very decent and stable 60 fps and good frame times, but if I go for
a low pass 300 ft over this very, very empty (wasteland?) following an empty road I get ~15 fps. I do not understand this behaviour.

With my system, same configuration of DCS I get ~60 fps all the time with good frame times over Syria, Caucasus, Gulf and Nevada map.
Especially Syria map which is quite demanding regarding all the objects it has, runs very well on my system (~60 fps) with no stutters etc.

My system's specs are as following:

• Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS
  • CPU: 11th Gen i5-11600K @ 4.90 GHz
  • GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / 8 GB VRAM
  • RAM: 64 GB of DDR4 @ 3200 MHz
  • Monitor: ASUS 27" 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

All drivers are up to date.

My NVidia Control Panel settings for DCS:

NVCP DCS.PNG

My settings for DCS:

Screen_230120_142224.jpg

Any suggestions or some secret hint?

Thanks and cheers

• Like 2

Hi guys..

I think your best and your worst are caused by your system's specs.

For you yoyo its a 4090 effect

And for therion a 1070 effect...

The point is, the more DCS upgrades, the more we have to upgrade our systems. And the relationship is exponential..

On my side, I guess i would not be able to play dcs anymore in a year or two..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 2:38 PM, Raz_Specter said:

I was the same until I upgraded to a 3090TI

fantastic maxed out graphics

Okay but not everyone runs 3090ti and 4090s, quite the contrary. Razbam needs to realize there is an issue. I get great framerates on every map except SA. Even marianas is alot better.
The answer here is not get a 1000usd gpu, it is optimize the map so that the norm can play it.  

• Like 4

It is clear that the Nvidia 10X0 series is already beginning to show signs of "aging" with DCS requirements, so changing the graphics card (although it is almost prohibitive for many people) is almost a mandatory.

That being said, the response from this member of the Razban team was in very poor taste.

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

• 5 months later...

Have you noticed any improvements after the last patch?

In my case it seems that everything remains the same below 900ft

The maps performance with the update is still bad and in fact worse than before this release.

We have been running a SA TTi all week with what many described as decent performance across many systems and none VR and VR.

This included high alt runs to low alt helo ops from the Punta Arenas TTi main airfield.

With the new patch last night we were all getting about a 20-50% frame rate loss down low around the Punta Arenas area, helicopter missions were mostly unplayable, at one point my 13900K and 4090 tanked to around 16-22 FPS, the night before same mission it was around 39-45 FPS.

The update has decreased performance in this map now around the main towns on the mainland.

The Falklands were ok though and Mount Pleasant and Port Stanly were really good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1