Just quick 802 AK question.

Aries101

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask did you have any issues with 802 ak missle while in DIR mode. I was using radar in SEA1 mode, ship locked, missle aligned but after missle was fired and went on target, poped up and just went up and missed trajectory of ship aswell. Either there is bug which I do not know of, or I missed something. Tips for usage of 802 AK in DIR mode are most welcome aswell.

I tried to shoot AK few more times, damn missle started tracking boat only once (I stop to care about anyway) and even then it got shot down by ship defence lol. So I can target unarmed ship if it dont get mugged Yeee! along with mess of LD-10 and severely reduced SFW damage zone (not sure about that one), i don't have anything to do now with this plane and exactly those features were my buy point when plane got out.

Jeez, I'd better not tell anything to my wife. She will not be happy.

5 hours ago, Aries101 said:

even then it got shot down by ship defence

dude, all the cruise missiles get shot down by ship defense. You have to do multiple launches from multiple angles released around the same time to have any sort of chance at hitting any ship with a ciws. It's not just the 802ak. It's all.

Edited by Napillo

48 minutes ago, Aries101 said:

True. I presumed that later. I guess when 5-6 jeffs went on mission they woud down defended ship.

There's a buy-in on attacking a defending ship, they take alot of missiles to overwhelm, and if timed incorrectly, will do nothing. 

I can't remember where is saw it but the US predicted that you would need to fire between 18 and 22 harpoons to land a single hit on the Kuznetsov. So the ante is quite high, more than a flight of aircraft can bring by themselves. 

Really, the correct call is to supplement the attack with coordinated sea and/or shore based anti-ship.