Mossie AI refuses to attack enemy ships

Gunfreak

9 hours ago, HotTom said:

Do you order them to attack on your radio?

I'm not playing. I'm making the mission. None of the AI flights attack the ships(except those armed with bombs.)

So it must be a bug.  No orders I set up in the editor leads to the AI using rockets. They go in for the attack, but never fires the rockets. They do the complete attack run. Then a few hundred feet for the ship fly off.

The AI will use rockets on ground targets no problem. And will use bombs on ships.

It's a ship/rocket specific thing. And I think its a bug.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Well, when you are test flying, use your radio order them to engage the ships.

Also, set the planes to ignore AI limitations.

Edited by HotTom

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

28 minutes ago, HotTom said:

Well, when you are test flying, use your radio order them to engage the ships.

Also, set the planes to ignore AI limitations.

How do I order other flights?

I have 24 mossies flying around. 

And where do uncheck the AI limitations?

Order: Get on your coms (radio) select the plane you want to order (your own wingman or flight).

AI-Limitations: in ME, select the plane, select advanced waypoint instructions (at the bottom of the menu), go to options, go to "overrride AI attack avoidance decisions".)

Finally, 24 Mossies?? Start with 4, all in your own flight so you can talk to them. Then build on that....

14 hours ago, HotTom said:

Order: Get on your coms (radio) select the plane you want to order (your own wingman or flight).

AI-Limitations: in ME, select the plane, select advanced waypoint instructions (at the bottom of the menu), go to options, go to "overrride AI attack avoidance decisions".)

Finally, 24 Mossies?? Start with 4, all in your own flight so you can talk to them. Then build on that....

But getting 4 mossies to attack won't help if I can't get all 24 to attack.  That is the mission. And if I remember correctly from last time I tried to make a ship attack mission with mossies. Even your own flight won't attack with rockets. 

I'll try the override.

• Like 1

I've had success by tasking them to attack the ship group in the advanced waypoint actions, however they were very fickle with rockets. Sometimes they would open up without hesitation, other times they would do five or six dry passes before finally expending rockets. Might help to manually select "rockets" and "expend all" for the weapon type.

14 hours ago, Nealius said:

I've had success by tasking them to attack the ship group in the advanced waypoint actions, however they were very fickle with rockets. Sometimes they would open up without hesitation, other times they would do five or six dry passes before finally expending rockets. Might help to manually select "rockets" and "expend all" for the weapon type.

Tried that.

• 3 weeks later...

Sri for the delay but I finally re-created your problem in a mission of my own.

You are correct. The AI Mossies are very unwilling to fire their rockets at ships.

My work around is to arm them with two 250-pound SAP bombs in the bomb bay instead bombs instead. Not ideal but the veteran Mossie AI pilots rarely miss with these smaller bombs.

Dunno what the problem is but the Mossie is still in Early Release and still needs some fine tuning. They also don't strafe the ships, either.

Not the solution you (or I) hoped for but it allowed me to go ahead with the mission. If the rockets ever get fixed, I'll revise it.

Hope that helps.

Edited by HotTom

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, NineLine said:

Can someone include a sample mission of the issue, or a track?

Hi there,

I created a mission with 3 enemy ground groups and 3 enemy ship groups. I then created 6 Mosquito groups, and loaded the Mosquitos with either rockets, bombs or cannon, then assigned one of the six target groups to each of the Mosquito groups. So its set up like this:

Mosquitos with rockets, set to Anti-ship

Mosquitos with bombs, set to Anti-ship

Mosquitos with cannon only, set to Anti-ship

Mosquitos with rockets, set to CAS

Mosquitos with bombs, set to CAS

Mosquitos with cannon only, set to CAS

In each case, I created a custom waypoint task to attack one of the surface groups, weapon to auto (tried setting to only weapon carried, no difference). Also turned on override AI decisions.

The result is that the first two groups in the list above attack all ships (not just the ones they're assigned). All other groups just RTB as soon as they spawn.

I tried creating a 7th Mosquito group with all weapons and attack within zone (instead of attach specific group), with all targets within that zone. This group also just RTB's as soon as it spawns.

Mission and track file attached, hope this helps!

mosquito ag issues.trk Mosquito AG test.miz

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

Try this (works for me): Click on the waypoint where you want the attack to start. Go to advanced Waypoint Actions and choose Start Enroute Task. Select Group (or unit) to Search than Engage. There's a dropdown that gives you a choice of weapons. Pick Rockets. I've used this in many of my missions (author name tttiger available in Users)) and it always works. Try it and come back and comment. Hope that solves it for you.

HT (tttiger)

5 hours ago, HotTom said:

Try this (works for me): Click on the waypoint where you want the attack to start. Go to advanced Waypoint Actions and choose Start Enroute Task. Select Group (or unit) to Search than Engage. There's a dropdown that gives you a choice of weapons. Pick Rockets. I've used this in many of my missions (author name tttiger available in Users)) and it always works. Try it and come back and comment. Hope that solves it for you.

HT (tttiger)

Thanks, I already tried that. I mentioned it in my post above, although I realize I didn't phrase it very clearly. It's what I meant when I wrote:

14 hours ago, FupDuck said:

tried setting to only weapon carried, no difference

So yah, for the ones carrying rockets, I set the weapon to rockets, cannon for the ones that only had cannon, etc. Same result.

Thanks for the suggestion! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

2 hours ago, HotTom said:

Are you using Perform Task or Start Enroute Task? It only works with Start Enroute Task for me.

Start enroute task. I don't think there's an option for attacking under Perform Task.

There is if you have selected CAP. But it doesn't wok with rockets. 

Sri this isn't helping you. Most of what I've learned with the Mission Editor is by Trial and Error. So, keep trying...😜

2 hours ago, HotTom said:

Most of what I've learned with the Mission Editor is by Trial and Error

Ha same here. I actually quite like the DCS ME. I just get frustrated when I spend hours making these complicated missions only to have the AI not even come close to doing what they're supposed to be doing.