AIM-120s do not loft after June OB Patch (actually they do, my bad, no bug)

TheBigTatanka

Taking 25nm shots in the mid 20s, AIM-120s are flying flat-line trajectories and thus bleeding lots of energy, resulting in ~400 knots in the terminal phase.  Seems that the lofting logic is gone.

There also seems to be a guidance problem with the active phase of the radar biting onto things outside of range gate, but I can't verify that yet.  Perhaps the range gate is simply gone as well. Attached is a tacview clip -- tracks to follow.  

no lofting AMRAAMs on June Open Beta Patch.zip

Edited by TheBigTatanka
  • Like 4

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

I've only done 2 tests thus far, but both times the AMRAAM lofted for me, I shot at 35nm and 40nm respectively, perhaps it stops lofting at shorter range? I'll do more testing.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Marlan, that's very possible.   I've only been getting locks around 28nm because of the look-down penalty, so my go-to tactic has been a short skate from 25nm from the crank.  No loft there, so it's not very viable anymore.

I'll test more after SA map finishes downloading.

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

I did another very brief test, shooting a few times once at 28nm and another at 22nm and both times the missile performed for me as I would have expected. At least from what I've seen, lofting seems fine right now.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Got it sorted -- I have to eat crow on this one -- no bug here.  The contact I was shooting at (what I use for testing purposes) is a MiG-29S.  He must have turned on his jammer as I was shooting. I didn't have pre-launch jamming indications, and by 25nm I must have been at a burn-through range.  In my previous 7 tests, I didn't notice the jamming chevrons through the datalink symbols, but I did on these subsequent tests. So, as expected, the missile is not lofting when it is HOJ.

There's no bug -- I apologize for jumping to conclusions.  Thanks to all the testers who double checked this today, appreciate your work.  Apologies.  

• Thanks 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

• TheBigTatanka changed the title to AIM-120s do not loft after June OB Patch (actually they do, my bad, no bug)