The fps !!! I was afraid

mobile83

Hello,

I'm writing to tell you that I love flying this card, the feeling of speed close to the ground is really good.

I had a big fear because at the beginning I had between 28 and 35 fps, my first reaction was: oh no I will not be able to fly on this card .... (RTX 2060 card)

I put the terrain texture at the bottom (why not medium? why with only low and high?), and there!!! minimum 50 FPS and max 80 fps

So fortunately you have planned with these textures at the bottom, it allows everyone to enjoy the map even if it is in a lesser extent.

Too bad for terrain texture not available in medium

I'm going to fly again !

edit: no in fact it's playable, even with high texture, I go down a little to 30 fps in big area but I go back up very quickly afterwards, really pleasant surprised of the map and finally of the fps on the global

nullnull

image.png

Edited by mobile83
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, mobile83 said:

Hello,

I'm writing to tell you that I love flying this card, the feeling of speed close to the ground is really good.

I had a big fear because at the beginning I had between 28 and 35 fps, my first reaction was: oh no I will not be able to fly on this card .... (RTX 2060 card)

I put the terrain texture at the bottom (why not medium? why with only low and high?), and there!!! minimum 50 FPS and max 80 fps

So fortunately you have planned with these textures at the bottom, it allows everyone to enjoy the map even if it is in a lesser extent.

Too bad for terrain texture not available in medium

I'm going to fly again !

VR or none VR?

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

17 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

VR or none VR?

I'm running Reverb G2 with 2080 Super card and tweaked OpenXR.

Flying F-16:  1,000ft off the deck it's a slideshow that goes anywhere from 24-42fps. Mostly I'm getting 24fps. This is just flying a fast mission. (Ran it twice, and restarted VR just to be sure)

At 20,000ft I'm getting 38-42fps.

Please disregard.  I had some settings that were a bit too high.  Under my normal settings, the map performs on par with Syria.

Edited by durka-durka
  • Like 1

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

1 hour ago, mobile83 said:

no in fact it's playable, even with high texture

You are flying over an empty map. Add some units and it will become unplayable again.

• Like 3

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

Yup glad I did not knee jerk react and buy this on an impulse. I knew this map would suck for VR just like Marianas which has never been improved for VR. ED and the 3rd party devs dont seem to care about VR at all.

• Like 1

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

9 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

Yup glad I did not knee jerk react and buy this on an impulse. I knew this map would suck for VR just like Marianas which has never been improved for VR. ED and the 3rd party devs dont seem to care about VR at all.

For Marianas I created a less demanding profile (mostly two shadows settings) and it´s virtually a click away making the map flyable. That´s what ED provide the chance to create several graphical profiles.

• Like 3

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Just now, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

For Marianas I created a less demanding profile (mostly two shadows settings) and it´s virtually a click away making the map flyable. That´s what ED provide the chance to create several graphical profiles.

Ya I tried all that even reducing steam SS for my G2 to 50% and it never gets better. I also deleted the saved game folder to start over fresh and did a full game repair. Marianas is not playable for me at all over the islands.

• Like 1

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Just now, BMGZ06 said:

Ya I tried all that even reducing steam SS for my G2 to 50% and it never gets better. I also deleted the saved game folder to start over fresh and did a full game repair. Marianas is not playable for me at all over the islands.

Ups, sorry to read that, positive side of the story you didn´t spend much at the map lol.
Marianas I only have issues with Andersen/Guam AFB. Other than that, the secondary profile works like a charm.
Wish you luck in case you find a solution doable for you.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

With textures set to low this map is playable in VR (G2), although I only flew in Apache, Hind and Viper without any AI units (except 1xSA6 battery). Frankly I don't see any visual differences between high and low textures.

I don't regret buying it, would do it again.

• Like 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

So I made a quick run over the SA map. When in VR my FPS is capped at 36, not sure why and I'll play around to figure it out, but here's what I noted. (edit: The refresh rate is set at 72hz right now. I'll crank it to 120 tomorrow and see what happens.)

System: I'm running an RTX-3080 graphics card with a Quest 2 headset connected with the Link cable with an i7 11700KF processor and 32GB of RAM loading the game off of an SSD.

SA run was with an AV-8B.

Flying above 800 feet or so I would always stay capped at 36fps. 

Dropping below 800 with ordnance loaded, specifically 4 MK82's and 2 sidewinder's, the FPS would drop to about 25. After ditching the ordnance the FPS stayed at 36 even down to sub 100 foot altitudes going over Goose Green.

For a comparison I run the Marianas with an F-18, with whatever the default ordnance is for a quick flight, and stayed at 36 with occasional drops to maybe 31. Running the same flight on the Marianas without VR I stayed capped at 60FPS no matter what I did.

The one big, huge, issue with the SA map is that I would get blackouts on the headset periodically where something between 20% to 90% of the visual field would go to black. I'm sure there's a term for this phenomena but I don't know what it is. 🙂 I could live with the occasional FPS drop but the blackouts would be a killer. I'll try it again tomorrow after a fresh reboot of my system to see if it's repeatable.

Edited by lascaris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lascaris said:

So I made a quick run over the SA map. When in VR my FPS is capped at 36, not sure why and I'll play around to figure it out, but here's what I noted. (edit: The refresh rate is set at 72hz right now. I'll crank it to 120 tomorrow and see what happens.)

System: I'm running an RTX-3080 graphics card with a Quest 2 headset connected with the Link cable with an i7 11700KF processor and 32GB of RAM loading the game off of an SSD.

Dropping below 800 with ordnance loaded, specifically 4 MK82's and 2 sidewinder's, the FPS would drop to about 25. After ditching the ordnance the FPS stayed at 36 even down to sub 100 foot altitudes going over Goose Green.

For a comparison I run the Marianas with an F-18, with whatever the default ordnance is for a quick flight, and stayed at 36 with occasional drops to maybe 31. Running the same flight on the Marianas without VR I stayed capped at 60FPS no matter what I did.

The one big, huge, issue with the SA map is that I would get blackouts on the headset periodically where something between 20% to 90% of the visual field would go to black. I'm sure there's a term for this phenomena but I don't know what it is. 🙂 I could live with the occasional FPS drop but the blackouts would be a killer. I'll try it again tomorrow after a fresh reboot of my system to see if it's repeatable.

Your FPS is capped because you are likely running motion reprojection or some equivalent to it with the quest and it is capping to half you refresh rate like normal. I run 90hz in the G2 so 45 is the max

5 hours ago, lascaris said:

Try mirrors off for the blackening issue

7 hours ago, Marklar said:

With textures set to low this map is playable in VR (G2), although I only flew in Apache, Hind and Viper without any AI units (except 1xSA6 battery). Frankly I don't see any visual differences between high and low textures.

I don't regret buying it, would do it again.

What are your PC specs? 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

As the OP said, terrain textures to low is the ticket. 40 frames solid in VR, where i was only getting 10fps with terrain textures on high.

The tool-tip says that "terrain textures" controls the quality of "terrain objects" which i think means the textures on the buildings, not the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

I run texture low and I get frame rate > 35fps over Port Stanley, 45fps over water and this (note that the use of XRNeckSafer BETA gives a little worse frame rate):

I fly in VR, OpenXR + Quest2, mobile 3080, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz, 32GB RAM

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

11 hours ago, lascaris said:

I am getting these blackouts too in non vr. A huge black square blocking up to 80% of the screen. I see someone above has mentioned turning off mirrors which I’ll try but I kept mirrors on as when you flick them over instead of seeing the back of the mirror you still get a mirror but with odd reflections!

The new map runs very smooth on my end. I don’t chase fps but I’m a solid 45 and smooth as glass. 
running Steamvr and WMR version lmk

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

9 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Try mirrors off for the blackening issue

I'll give that a shot. I find it curious though that I've flown literally every map that DCS has, at low level, and have never experienced this artifact before. I'm also surprised that it only occurs at low level.

Question for those who are experiencing good performance; are you seeing this at low level, i.e. <800 feet? At anything above that my performance is rock solid also.

Im at 4k/60hz and have my FR locked to max out at 60fps. Im seeing the odd drop to 45fps with all graphical settings as high as they will go and MSAA at x4. That's was dogfighting with 4 x Skyhawks and 3 x F5 low over the big Argentine airbase and city, cant remember the name.

32gb DDR4

3800x Undervolted to 4.3ghz@1.275v

AMD 6900xt at 2.6ghz on Dvr 22.5.2

Corsair M600ProXT NVMe Drive (DCS)

Corsair M600 NVMe Drive (OS)

AMD 3800x, Asrock 570X Taichi, 32GB Corsair Platinum, MSI 1080Ti, Corsair MP600 Gen 4 1TB NVMe. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB SSD, Custom Watercooling, AOC 32" 4K Screen.

11 minutes ago, pegasus1 said:

Im at 4k/60hz and have my FR locked to max out at 60fps. Im seeing the odd drop to 45fps with all graphical settings as high as they will go and MSAA at x4. That's was dogfighting with 4 x Skyhawks and 3 x F5 low over the big Argentine airbase and city, cant remember the name.

32gb DDR4

3800x Undervolted to 4.3ghz@1.275v

AMD 6900xt at 2.6ghz on Dvr 22.5.2

Corsair M600ProXT NVMe Drive (DCS)

Corsair M600 NVMe Drive (OS)

I'm assuming from your specs that you're not in VR which would make sense. When I play on just a flat screen my fps is pegged no matter where I fly.

1 hour ago, lascaris said:

I'm assuming from your specs that you're not in VR which would make sense. When I play on just a flat screen my fps is pegged no matter where I fly.

No, lots of reasons i use a screen over VR that i'l not go into here, its a very emotive subject for some people, for some reason i cant understand.

AMD 3800x, Asrock 570X Taichi, 32GB Corsair Platinum, MSI 1080Ti, Corsair MP600 Gen 4 1TB NVMe. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB SSD, Custom Watercooling, AOC 32" 4K Screen.

2 hours ago, pegasus1 said:

No, lots of reasons i use a screen over VR that i'l not go into here, its a very emotive subject for some people, for some reason i cant understand.

No issues on my side over using screens. I only switched to VR because I kept failing at carrier landings with an F-18 and it helped! 🙂

• Like 1