"Improved" FLIR

Foka
Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

only the engines and treads get hot, compared to every other tank in that convoy which also have the rest of the chassis heat up eventually to stand out as well. is that intended?
i dont know enough about the Abrams technology to know if its a bug or not 😛

Edited by VFA41_Lion

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, VFA41_Lion said:

only the engines and treads get hot, compared to every other tank in that convoy which also have the rest of the chassis heat up eventually to stand out as well. is that intended?
i dont know enough about the Abrams technology to know if its a bug or not 😛

I can ask if that is the case, I would assume that trying to shield your heat signature is a thing, that said, its clearly not inverted. 

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I'm trying to get the units to "100% heat" by late activation. 

I've tried to trigger this at

- mission start, no delay.

- mission start, time more 10 and time more 100

- only once, time more 10 and 100

All resulting the same. No heat for units. BTR-80, ZSU-23, BMP-2, T-72B3, BTR-82A, SA-19, SA-15

The only way I have seem to get heat is to have the units contently move. For ZSU-23 I have to have them fire at a point.

Any ideas? Or is the late activation work around no longer working?

I was going to make a separate thread for this, but this seems a suitable place to add my findings since we are talking about vehicle heat a lot in this thread.

I would like to add that the static "vehicles" at airfields (at least on Caucasus, haven't yet tested other terrains) seem to have permanent 100% heat, which is adding some very big problems. These are all vehicles and airfield equipment that are either mostly or ALL "turned off" and are just sitting/stored there, yet they are 100% maximum heat?? Then I place actual units there and they are completely cold, because they haven't moved.

This makes the players of my mission hit and attack all of the static airfield vehicles and equipment, and completely ignore the actual targets, because they can't actually see the "cold" vehicles and only the "hot" static airfield equipment!

Can we please make static, unremovable vehicles at airfields that are literally sitting off/parked please not be glowing hot? 😅

It makes absolutely no sense and is completely ruining having airfields as objective / area of interest / target locations.

Edited by tae.

• ED Team
On 6/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, JIGGAwest said:

I'm trying to get the units to "100% heat" by late activation. 

I've tried to trigger this at

- mission start, no delay.

- mission start, time more 10 and time more 100

- only once, time more 10 and 100

All resulting the same. No heat for units. BTR-80, ZSU-23, BMP-2, T-72B3, BTR-82A, SA-19, SA-15

The only way I have seem to get heat is to have the units contently move. For ZSU-23 I have to have them fire at a point.

Any ideas? Or is the late activation work around no longer working?

I am trying to get a list of what units are left to do as far as IR textures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Tolate said:

Maybe ED can give a list of vehicles that has this new flir so i can more easy make missions 😄

Sadly now, a number of artists are working on it, and adding all the time. So it wouldnt stay updated very long. Right now it has to be trial and error although most ground units (not static) should be done. 

• Like 1

64Sig.png

the FLIR does seem better to me. this screenie is from A10C2. i did not mess with gain. the vehicle were on the taxiway on Port Stanley. they were in a line and i set visible before activation. i whacked one of them and they scattered. would the image improve with gain or contrast? i like to make sure what vehicle i am attacking.

null

image.png

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 4 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 11:07 AM, NineLine said:

I am trying to get a list of what units are left to do as far as IR textures.

for ver 2.8

I see the new checkbox "units cold at start" 

with the checkbox UNCHECKED, If I now use late activation, units are completely cold on mission start.

I haven't tried normal placement, But what should be happening with FLIR pertaining to ground units at this point? 

• Like 1

I'm not sure this checkbox does anything useful.
Regarding "improved" FLIR image, it's becoming more and more difficult to find targets using the A-10's TGP in FLIR mode.

Vehicles are always cold, and do not have any texture (plain black - or white - blocks), and are very easy to miss on the ground clutter or between trees.
Trees and bushes are often hotter than vehicles, sometimes not fully (i.e. half a tree).

I've never operated a real-life TGP, but I've seen lots of videos from Apache pilots during 1GW, and the vehicles are more contrasted than they are in DCS, even when cold. 
First, they are never truly cold (don't tell me that 10 minutes will be enough for a huge diesel or a gas turbine to cool off completely).
Also, even when at air temperature, there is contrast and texture to the vehicles, making them easier to differentiate from other stuff like trees, bushes and all.
Finally, as soon as their engine is on, they build up heat quickly.

Could something please be done about that?

At the moment, the FLIR system was degraded, not improved.

• Like 3

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

17 minutes ago, davidp57 said:

I'm not sure this checkbox does anything useful.
Regarding "improved" FLIR image, it's becoming more and more difficult to find targets using the A-10's TGP in FLIR mode.

Vehicles are always cold, and do not have any texture (plain black - or white - blocks), and are very easy to miss on the ground clutter or between trees.
Trees and bushes are often hotter than vehicles, sometimes not fully (i.e. half a tree).

I've never operated a real-life TGP, but I've seen lots of videos from Apache pilots during 1GW, and the vehicles are more contrasted than they are in DCS, even when cold. 
First, they are never truly cold (don't tell me that 10 minutes will be enough for a huge diesel or a gas turbine to cool off completely).
Also, even when at air temperature, there is contrast and texture to the vehicles, making them easier to differentiate from other stuff like trees, bushes and all.
Finally, as soon as their engine is on, they build up heat quickly.

Could something please be done about that?

At the moment, the FLIR system was degraded, not improved.

Yes its fact since 2.8, for FLIR like many other things, my squadron rolling back to the stable version, please ED.... solve this horrible 2.8 patch BEFORE deploy on stable version

On 10/29/2022 at 9:16 PM, JIGGAwest said:

for ver 2.8

I see the new checkbox "units cold at start" 

with the checkbox UNCHECKED, If I now use late activation, units are completely cold on mission start.

I haven't tried normal placement, But what should be happening with FLIR pertaining to ground units at this point? 

There is definitelly something off with the new "COLD AT START" feature. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Late activation doesn't work at all for me as well, they always spawn as cold.

For example on PG map, Flying F-16, Sa-9 (without late activation) shows up as hot if the box is unchecked, but the same Sa-9 is completely cold on Syria. Not sure if it's map related or just random.

Edit: just saw in one of the threads below, it's comfirmed bug, currently the new feature doesn't work properly.

Edited by ouky1991
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 8:15 AM, _SteelFalcon_ said:

Currently if you want units to be „hot“, set their alarm state to „RED“ until that „cold at start“ bug is fixed. Then their engine is consistently running and thus heating up the vehicle. 

I tried that, didn't work.

What did I miss ?

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

29 minutes ago, davidp57 said:

I tried that, didn't work.

What did I miss ?

dunno, especially not without the miz file or a track. thing is, after mission start, it takes about 5 minutes for the unit to actually heat up so it is visibly different than cold units. so you wont really notice if you air start right in front of the unit with the TGP already looking at it. the engine will heat up the vehicle but it does take some time, since even alarm state red units seem to start "cold" initially. but their running engine will heat up the vehicle soon enough i guess.

in 2.7 i did a little test, see linked below. that's how it currently looks like. this is with the default TGP gain, contrast and level settings on a viper in WHOT.

Ok, good to know, thanks.

I actually use scripts, on our squad's server, to spawn different things when and where the pilots want them. E.g. we can decide to place an armored company with air defense platoons someplace on the map.
When we do that, the scripts actually spawn the units in state RED; I'm sure of this, because 1/ I wrote the script ^^ and 2/ it can be seen in Combined Arms UI
But even with this, and even after like 20 minutes, units still seem cold.

I'm pretty sure we're missing something, but I don't see what.

I'll try the time acceleration trick to test in on a small scale.