Sharp edges where land meets water

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

On most areas of the South Atlantic map (apart from those that are clearly beaches) there's a noticeable sharp incline (75-80°) where land meets water. The incline isn't everywhere and there are some exceptions (namely areas that are clearly beaches, some small rivers etc).

An easy way to check is to look at the mission editor/F10 maps - in SAT, if you can see what looks like a thin, grey border (it will be a darker orange/biege in ALT) where the land meets water, there's an incline there.

Here's an example, immediately to the south of Pebble Island's grass strip:

lzHef6H.png

jyNUBG1.png

The main issue with this is it doesn't really look all that natural or realistic - when flying low it almost looks like everywhere is sat on concrete. Though another issue is that player vehicles are unable to climb them (there are of course areas that shouldn't be able to be climbed or landed on, but here it's the overwhelming majority of the land).

Perhaps it would be better if there was some 3D rocks, but making the incline closer to 30° would more than suffice.

South Atlantic incline.trk

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

With the height of the soil there i doubt you wouldn't be able to climb that location anyways, we have tested AI to the left and that works fine. Try the lower terrain to the left

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

4 minutes ago, Raz_Specter said:

With the height of the soil there i doubt you wouldn't be able to climb that location anyways, we have tested AI to the left and that works fine. Try the lower terrain to the left

Yeah, I just edited it to show a location that you definitely can climb (there's plenty of them, but that particular area by San Carlos would be impossible regardless).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.