BVR - am I 2 stupid?

warmachine79

Hey guys, I am trying to learn how to BVR and watched multiple radar tutorials. I downloaded a training mission to learn where multiple TU95 and few SU34 are flying around.

I select the AMRAAM, switch to TWS, 4 Bar, 40 Miles, tried both Medium and High PRF. Once I see the dudes on the radar, I put the Target Designation Thing above them, Depress TDC - target gets locked (at least appears to do so; it says "Lock" on the small display in the upper right of the cockpit window). So now for the issues:

1) Friends are identified as such - Foes not. NCTR is enabled. It also does not show any data on the left SMS display under the weapon information which it is also supposed to do once locked. 

2) The AMRAAM is supposed - according to my knowledge - to hit from a distance. But it takes ages before it says "IN LAR" and the "Shoot" appears in the abovementioned small display. It only locks at distances of maybe 8 NM. 

So - what is the problem with me? Attached is also a trackfile. 

4.trk

Edited by warmachine79

at 40 miles you need to be going very high above and very very fast to hit it, there is some instrumentation on the HUD that shows you the effective range of the weapon, check chucks guide for details 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ad.1 NCTR works only in STT and nose or tail aspect so that radar can see either compressor or turbine blades of the enemies jet engine.

Ad.2 Effective range depends on many aspects, including speed, altitude, aspect and type of manouvering of both you and the enemy. If you are both low, fast and enemy is running away from you, 8nm might be a border line of effective shot. The other way around, if you are high, fast and he is rushing towards you... than even 25-28 nm shot might force him to defend.

• Like 1

The numbers above and below the TDC cursor refer to the upper and lower elevation/altitude of the radar scan volume at the cursor's current position. Since the scan volume is essentially conical-shaped, the numbers will converge as the range gets closer to you, and diverge as the range increases.

• Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/