What Slows Down Widows?

Hi,

I've got a super PC and it's still super. But I have noticed after about 18 months, it is slightly slower on boot-up etc...I do all the necessary cleaning and keep start up processes to a minimum, but it hasn't really helped. To qualitfy it, I guess it is about 95% of what it was - maybe 80% on boot up times. I regularly ensure that Windows 10 is up to date etc ... along with all my drivers. Have good memory and my M2 hard drives are 70% empty. What could be causing it?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, C3PO said:

What could be causing it?

Gradual accumulation of bloatware. Every time you install a program and it loads on a bootup (stuff like Soundblaster, Asus software, Discord, Steam, etc etc etc) each of those fractionally increases boot up for Windows. Get enough of them, it becomes measurable. Additionally, Windows itself routinely installs bloatware when it updates (thus me generally disabling them and doing only periodic updates).

I'd suggest going through processes, task scheduler, and any software you have running and trimming it dowm to essentials. 90% of the crap people let run in the background (or that software wants to run in the background like updaters, etc) don't NEED to run.

And maybe find ya a debloater for Windows.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I use jv16 PowerTools for like 20 years by now. It has changed it's name a few times over those years but has always done a good job in cleaning windows out.

Well worth the expense, I have a Lifetime license, actually 2, and it paid off many times over fixing slow computers and my own as well. I run it every month or so, keeps them clean.

www.macecraft.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

What Slows Down Widows?

Hmmm, young bachelor men? 😉

Mostly redundant and bad programming on the part of MS Engineers, it's not really all their fault though, Windows could be streamlined and work great if there was a will to make it do that, there is not. It has to "just" work with every combination of hardware and software thrown at it, and it has to look good (read bad UI), and it has to have spyware and it has to do a million other things that have to be cobbled onto a million other things just because it's easier (and cheaper) to slap things onto their ancient kernel, than strip it down to it's bare bones and start from scratch. 

One of the side-effects of this bad design, is bloat and an eventual reformat of C:\ if you want to keep your sanity. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

HI C3P0, yeah if I remember correctly yours is a very nice setup, is this the one you had built for DCS?

Its a pretty normal thing your describing. The way I understand it and I know I dont have the names correct. The general instruction sets get bloated over time, things like regular updates to drivers can cause such problems etc etc. Its a bit of a big job and I would check it out first. In the past if I have noticed it becoming a problem. I have backed up and "reset" Windows while keeping my files. Things like programs and games get wiped so these things need backing up. I usually do this every 12-18 months. However I dont have a lot of programs or games on my system. For some people this is not a practical option. 

Taking a path like Bitmaster recommended is probably a better place to start though.

• Like 1

SOLUTION:

* DUAL BOOT

Have one hard drive partition for sims only

Then another hard drive partion for all your software so on apps.

I use this app for HARD DRIVE PARTITIONING - https://www.partitionwizard.com/

I have four hard drives that are partitioned for my personal use 

You might want to buy a second SSD drive or a portable - https://www.seagate.com/products/external-hard-drives/expansion-external-drives/

For backing up and storage - Seagate or Samsung recommended

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg