General Thoughts

Howzzat

On 6/17/2022 at 7:56 PM, Beirut said:

How many of us here are solidly into the four digits when we add up the expenditures of software and hardware?

We don't talk about that sort of thing around here 🤫

• Like 4

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

22 minutes ago, Mars Exulte said:

We don't talk about that sort of thing around here 🤫

I take it you're being watched. 😬

I'll try to speak more quietly next time.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 6/17/2022 at 5:05 AM, YoYo said:

Yesterday I did longer trip (2h), sightseeing flight on Apache on part of land of SA map.

ZXx5qu2.jpg

How could anyone see that picture and not want the map?

Very cool!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, freehand said:

Show me low down shots of the apache please,

Over mostly finished or mostly unfinished parts of the map? If you are - and you are - alluding to the poor quality of some of the textures at lower level, I would direct you to the clearly stated "early release" part of the equation. I could also direct you to the Razbam chart that shows the finished status of the map in different locations. That might clarify things a bit if clarification is what you seek.

Did you buy the map? If not, you should. It's great! 🙂

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

Over mostly finished or mostly unfinished parts of the map? If you are - and you are - alluding to the poor quality of some of the textures at lower level, I would direct you to the clearly stated "early release" part of the equation. I could also direct you to the Razbam chart that shows the finished status of the map in different locations. That might clarify things a bit if clarification is what you seek.

Did you buy the map? If not, you should. It's great! 🙂

Hi I would like to fly the apache away from the built  up areas but still look ok low down for my own missions that would be useful for me not worried about busy places but more remote for the apache but look ok i am aware the map is not finished but need it to be useful.

6 hours ago, freehand said:

Hi I would like to fly the apache away from the built  up areas but still look ok low down for my own missions that would be useful for me not worried about busy places but more remote for the apache but look ok i am aware the map is not finished but need it to be useful.

As the map is early access there will be limitations on the quality of the eye candy down low. if you want good low level eye candy on your remote area flights you'll have to wait. I don't think there's any way around that. In the meantime, the map can be enjoyed for what it does offer. And at medium and high level, a lot of it looks really good. I'll stick with the Syria map for now for the best low level Ka-50 action - because the Havok is better than the Apache  😊 -  and use the SA map for A2A or anti-shipping. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2022 at 3:12 PM, Beirut said:

the best low level Ka-50 action - because the Havok is better than the Apache 

Havok is Mi-28. Ka-50 is either

Black Shark (official)

Hokum (NATO)

Werewolf (original nickname afaik)

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

Havok is Mi-28. Ka-50 is either

Black Shark (official)

Hokum (NATO)

Werewolf (original nickname afaik)

Ahhhh, thank you.

This is what happens when I don't drink enough. 🍺

• 4 weeks later...

As of the latest update I am seeing improved performance at low level in most areas.

Built up areas though are still very heavy, though my system is far from stellar.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I bought this yesterday and this morning for setting the islands in crappy spring weather in the Apache, that felt pretty cool to me. Then I took a jf-17 from the islands to the mainland and got all excited about the possibilities for long range over water strikes. I'm happy with the purchase 🙂

• Like 3

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 7:56 PM, Beirut said:

To say it's overpriced is to ignore the cold hard truth that DCS can be/is an expensive pastime. How many of us here are solidly into the four digits when we add up the expenditures of software and hardware?

Always been like this for PC gaming: Software sells hardware. 🙂

Only recently did I upgrade my 2015 gaming PC with a few new components (i.e., motherboard, CPU, RAM, water cooler and graphics card) and that upgrade was right around 3k. So yeah, it's an expensive hobby, but the price of DCS modules are negligible in comparison to keeping up with hardware over the years.

• Like 4

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Last night I did a training mission with the harrier from Port Stanley,  ti mount pleasure Raf airbase. 

It caught my eye many hill ridges are scattered with dark big stones rows. 

What is that?? 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

On 8/15/2022 at 7:59 AM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Last night I did a training mission with the harrier from Port Stanley,  ti mount pleasure Raf airbase. 

It caught my eye many hill ridges are scattered with dark big stones rows. 

What is that?? 

I think they are an attempt to model this kind of landscape:
Battle of mount tumbledown hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Stock photo of Mt Tumbledown

Edited by Scaley
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, PLUTON said:

Hi there,
Did you notice an improvement in fps?
after the 8/25:22 update on SA?🤔
good flight:pilotfly:

No.

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

thank you for the answer ,
I don't have any improvement either.
Hopefully after their holidays Razbam will do something so that we can enjoy this map at 100% without loss of fps.
Thank you in advance Razbam for your future efforts.🤗

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, Howzzat said:

Before I get bashed let me say this, overall impression this map has huge potential. (Secondly have been working on the dev team for a leading flight sim for around 10 years)

Good points:

1. Finally a map big enough for opposing naval forces without being too close together great map for Naval Ops.
  2. from medium to  High Altitude looks pretty good.
  3. Loads of potential for a wide spectrum of missions and campaigns due to the amount of playable area.

Not so good points and yeah I know its in Early access. (Hope these get fixed)

1. The use of satellite imagery as a texture base.Down low satellite imagery loses all fidelity it's too low res and requires massive amounts of work to get right, for example flying over the Falkland islands you see clouds on ground textures still,

shadows in valleys that are "Baked" into the scenery from the satallite imagery so give a false sense of time of day, sun direction etc clash with shadows from DCS itself. 

Valleys etc that are in the satellite imagery dont match up with the terrain in places due to the resolution of the terrain mesh so can be decieving when dropping down from a high altitude.

2. Grass an awesome  Idea but in place looks way out of scale compared to some static objects. or buries things like helipads, take a look at FOB San Carlos for example.

3. Some textures of Structures etc very low detail, kind of a pitty as this map offers a great opportunity for Combined Arms as well.

4. The waterline round lakes and the coasts (even the falkland islands) needs a lot of work at the moment there is no real transition (Example the free Mariana's Islands coast line is the best out there at this.)

5. Currently Cant get seasons to change textures snow in winter, change of colour of ground etc.

Overall impression.

Love the Potential this map has, with a "But"  Finish wise it's lower quality than some of the new free / paid Sceneries Like Syria and Marianas. Would love to see some kind of roadmap as to when realistically we can see what is being updated and when.

Bang for Buck?
For Mission and Campaign creation well worth the money. 10/10
Visually 6/10

Do I regret buying it no, but feel its a bit overpriced for the current state it's in. When compared to Syria on release.

One final question to Razbam What settings did you use for the promo video for example. time, date and weather settings?

Finally thanks Razbam for what I hope will be a kick ass playground down the road.

Can't really argue the points. I just got the map, and I am damn impressed. Really nice for fast jets. Baked shadows, not something I noticed, and don't bother me. In real world tactical simulators those are an issue. Shadows, since antiquity, are a warrior's friend. Things hide in shadows. Things that kill.  Ground and air warriors train to look in the shadows, be wary of them, and use them. There are 'white' papers on image processing to reduce those.  But for us I'd rather have lower quality maps down low and keep FPS, then trade FPS for resolution. One thing I notice in SouthAtl, is just how dark the areas are during night. I never been there in RL. In other DCS maps, well most of them to one degree or another, at night with clear skies, I can just make out major terrain features due to DCS moonlight, and roads. In this map , terrain at night is creepy dark scary. NVG help, FLIR a bit. But to fly at night in this map without tech aids,using MK1 optics, I need to shut off all lights and wait in dark for 10 minutes, to get my night vision. Monitor panels don't help either. Time to get a red filter for my ring lights. Perhaps that is a que to upgrade to VR. Have to practice and practice low level night navigation. The sound of the wind is nicely replicated. Gives a nice chilly ambiance. Average wind speed in Falklands is around 21-25 knots. Almost the wind over deck in carrier during flight operations. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 1:57 AM, Howzzat said:

Like many others I generally agree with the points made.  I do feel that many of the colours are garish and unrealistic, especially at low altitude but also higher up.  Yes, it's a WIP but to my eye it is the worst scenic representation of all the current DCS terrains.