Jester needs countermeasure overhaul.

BeyondBelief54

Hey guys,

Title. This needs to be addressed. Even though Jester knows there is a missile in the air he's just too reluctant to use any kind of countermeasure. 

Missile, 12 o'clock, break right. Okay, but I need to turn left because there is a mountain pass below, so I turn left. Jester sits idle. Breaking right, drops chaff for a second or two and stops.

There should be a key bind to command Jester to run a chaff or flare program, or run the selected one. This shouldn't be that hard, right? 

If there is something missing that I should do instead, please enlighten me. Thanks!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BeyondBelief54 said:

Hey guys,

Title. This needs to be addressed. Even though Jester knows there is a missile in the air he's just too reluctant to use any kind of countermeasure. 

Missile, 12 o'clock, break right. Okay, but I need to turn left because there is a mountain pass below, so I turn left. Jester sits idle. Breaking right, drops chaff for a second or two and stops.

There should be a key bind to command Jester to run a chaff or flare program, or run the selected one. This shouldn't be that hard, right? 

If there is something missing that I should do instead, please enlighten me. Thanks!

If you know the anticipated threat you can change the flare mode switch from pilot to norm. This will change such that when you press DLC extend/countermeasure dispense you can dispense chaff rather than flares

Beyond that, Jester having some innate sense of how you should break in respect to terrain is a bit much. Chances are he just figures from the TA of the missile what's the shortest turn for you to get away.

Which, in fairness, Jester is an absolute god at spotting missiles from up to ten miles away and gives you a huge defensive advantage by a long way; you'll notice it when you go in other aircraft.

Additionally, Jester being reluctant to countermeasure? It would be tough since the use of it is very subjective.

Flares are easy enough and should be domain of pilot typically.

Chaff, only do it in the notch, and never against SAMs. You might get lucky against an enemy SARH missile but you're rolling the dice over (depending on the missile) notching, or covering your bases and kinematically defeating it

That said, via the Jester countermeasure wheel you can tell him to set CMS order to chaff programme(meaning he'll run a programme every time it feels necessary), and then you can set the particular chaff programme you want to run

3 hours ago, Panny said:

If you know the anticipated threat you can change the flare mode switch from pilot to norm. This will change such that when you press DLC extend/countermeasure dispense you can dispense chaff rather than flares

That doesn't fix anything. You can change the flare mode all you want but if you were fighting the bandit 20 nm away and naturally using the chaff as a pilot and all of a sudden bandit close by launches at you an IR missile, are you going to change that in the Jester menu? Nope, doesn't make any sense, it's a two-crew aircraft. You should be able to command him to release CM. 

3 hours ago, Panny said:

Beyond that, Jester having some innate sense of how you should break in respect to terrain is a bit much. Chances are he just figures from the TA of the missile what's the shortest turn for you to get away.

Which, in fairness, Jester is an absolute god at spotting missiles from up to ten miles away and gives you a huge defensive advantage by a long way; you'll notice it when you go in other aircraft.

Additionally, Jester being reluctant to countermeasure? It would be tough since the use of it is very subjective.

Flares are easy enough and should be domain of pilot typically.

Chaff, only do it in the notch, and never against SAMs. You might get lucky against an enemy SARH missile but you're rolling the dice over (depending on the missile) notching, or covering your bases and kinematically defeating it

That said, via the Jester countermeasure wheel you can tell him to set CMS order to chaff programme(meaning he'll run a programme every time it feels necessary), and then you can set the particular chaff programme you want to run

You are missing the point here, I am not asking Jester to make the right calls regarding breaking into a evasive maneuvers, it's not his job. The job he should do is releasing chaff whenever I am defensive(if he spotted the missile ofc) or let us command him. 

Again...Setting a program to Jester is not the problem, he-does-not-use-them-if-you-don't-follow-his-directions. Problem is "every time it feels necessary". He doesn't feel like it %95 of the time.

Oh btw, you should definitely use chaffs against the SAM's, oh my...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeyondBelief54 said:

You are missing the point here, I am not asking Jester to make the right calls regarding breaking into a evasive maneuvers, it's not his job. The job he should do is releasing chaff whenever I am defensive(if he spotted the missile ofc) or let us command him. 

Again...Setting a program to Jester is not the problem, he-does-not-use-them-if-you-don't-follow-his-directions. Problem is "every time it feels necessary". He doesn't feel like it %95 of the time.

Oh btw, you should definitely use chaffs against the SAM's, oh my...

Find me a track of you successfully chaffing and defeating a SAM lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BrodyZ_ch said:

- You can set Jester to do variations of chaff program if you REALLY feel like you need chaff, but you don't and let's talk about that..

I mean, who said this? Are you guys really reading what I am trying to explain? I AM using chaff programs, problem is Jester is not using it if you don't follow his instructions. So what I am asking to Heatblur is add a tiny-little-damned "HEY JESTER, DROP CHAFF AND USE A PROGRAM IF I SELECTED ONE BEFORE" command. And as a two crew airplane this does makes sense(more than controlling fricking radar elevation in the menu anyway). Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah I am not allowing Jester to use flares either, way too slow for a dogfight situtation but..

Jesus christ. Please try to understand what I am trying to explain here.

1 hour ago, Panny said:

Find me a track of you successfully chaffing and defeating a SAM lol

And that's the topic we are talking about right? And yeah, yesterday night pretty sure notched a SA-6 launch at 9ish nm, feet wet, missile went stupid and passed right below me and exploded a second later. Back to the topic, please.

4 hours ago, BeyondBelief54 said:

That doesn't fix anything. You can change the flare mode all you want but if you were fighting the bandit 20 nm away and naturally using the chaff as a pilot and all of a sudden bandit close by launches at you an IR missile, are you going to change that in the Jester menu? Nope, doesn't make any sense, it's a two-crew aircraft. You should be able to command him to release CM. 

You can't notch a SAM; and if you think you can, you don't understand how it works.

I'll look forward to the tacview showing chaff being responsible for defeating the SAM

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jester does require some fixing as if you change countermeasure loadout in during rearming, he doesnt know how to set ALE containers correctly. Also I found out that if you go to back seat to set custom CM programs (in contrast with Jester wheel program "presets", which I all dislike), you have to "reset" Jester in countermeasure department, as give him something to change. I order him to give me chaff control and then back to flare control. Then he will use my set chaff program but of course you must set Jester to use Program chaff switch on detecting threat.