Is the DUD cue for high-drag bombs wrong?

raus

Hi,

I've just been doing a little testing with Mk-82 Snake eyes and Mk-82 Retarded, trying to bomb a runway, old-style, low and fast. However, I am finding it impossible to get the pull-up cue under the FPM, resulting in a DUD cue and bombs not exploding.

I have tried CCIP with a shallow dive, and also AUTO, flying level, 500kts at 500ft (and also tried lower), with the runway center designated (Incirlik FWIW).

I set the apropriate release method, MFUZE nose, EFUZ inst (also tried DLY1), DRAG  RET. I set in the UFC a QTY=10, MULT=1, INT=1000 (also tried 990, just in case)

Nothing has worked. It is a shame, as if I want to release from altitude, I do not need retarded bombs... I guess it is bugged, and will provide a track later, but wanted to check first, in case I am missing something stupid, or if it is already reported.

Thanks!

@IvanK thx, that is what I thought, but wasn't sure if it was reported... Anyway, here I go with a couple tracks, just in case 🙂

@NineLine please, have a look at these tracks, as they show two different behaviors, and I don't think it is completely OK...

• snakeeyes_CCIP.trk shows a low level (300ft) attack run at 550kts (GS). I select snake eyes, fuses (nose/inst) and retard option. I also configure the 10 bombs to be released individually with a 990ft spacing, trying to cover the runway. However, the pull-up cue stays consistently above the FPM. And you can see that I fly level and, sometimes slightly ascending. The bombs release and fuse correctly, though. Excuse the bad lineup, I configured a mission starting very close to the runway, and did not pay much attention to lining up, as I was focusing on the settings and FPM
  • snakeeyes_AUTO.trk s the same configuration, just selecting AUTO. I use RALT and CPL autopilot modes to bring me to the runway threshold this time (lazy me!) but I disconnect the autopilot moments before the attack. You can see the pull-up cue above the FPM all the time, and the DUD cue in the HUD. Not all bombs get released, and those that are released, did not fuse properly (indeed, they were DUDs). I think this should have been a valid attack, maybe not with low drag bombs, but definitely with retarded bombs.

snakeeyes_CCIP.trk snakeeyes_AUTO.trk

I haven't viewed your tracks (yet) but it seems to me that if you're trying to drop 10 bombs with a spacing of 1,000 ft, then that's 9,000 ft between the first and last bomb.  Since the CCIP predicted point is supposed to be the "midpoint" of the bomb drop then the solution simply might not be possible from a height of 300 ft.  At the moment you press the pickle button the last (i.e. the first to drop) bomb already has to land / have landed 4,500 ft behind the CCIP pipper.  I really don't know, but just a thought.

Before I read your post I had been experimenting with 82y and I had no problems dropping 8 in sequence.  However my spacing was only 80 ft.  I was flying at 500 kts and 500 ft.  As already stated the trick seems to be keeping the fpv on or just above the horizon line.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals