Time to revisit game save???

rkk01

OK so I know this is one of the most contentious issues on the forum…

… but, the release of Raz’s South Atlantic map has totally changed the landscape*

The distances are huge. To do the map justice we should be able to fly long missions, but the interruptions of real life really will kick in on this map.

I hope to fly “Norwegian” shipping raids using the Mossie, but using the Falklands as “Scotland” is probably going to require a 2-hour inbound flight😳

*pun intended 😉

• Like 1

I don’t think the idea is “contentious”. Lots of people would want this feature, myself included. But I understand the game engine just isn’t capable of it. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

OK so I know this is one of the most contentious issues on the forum…

… but, the release of Raz’s South Atlantic map has totally changed the landscape*

The distances are huge. To do the map justice we should be able to fly long missions, but the interruptions of real life really will kick in on this map.

I hope to fly “Norwegian” shipping raids using the Mossie, but using the Falklands as “Scotland” is probably going to require a 2-hour inbound flight😳

*pun intended 😉

The possibility of a dynamic campaign I think makes this necessary. 

• Like 2

This simply MUST exist if there is any hope of Dynamic campaigns worth doing. 
There is already enough in the game to justify being able to save a server state and reload it later. This is my #1 request. 
I could already build a dynamic campaign if I could save a mission state. 
If they opened up the existing logistics system to scripting.
The mission can only run as long as the server can, and servers in just about any game struggle to run for long enough for you to play a session and then come back tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Indeed a dynamic campaign would not be very accessible without the ability to save missions in progress. I don’t see why the game engine can’t do that when it can record tracks of an entire mission. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Indeed a dynamic campaign would not be very accessible without the ability to save missions in progress. I don’t see why the game engine can’t do that when it can record tracks of an entire mission. 

The tracks system is a bit messed up, I believe you have mentioned that yourself. I hope we can get something from ED on this. They are doing a lot of overhauls right now. 

Not to be too much of a smart-ass, but saving a game state never was an issue. That’s easy. Loading it in a meaningful way is, probably due to the way how missions are loaded. Units in DCS can only spawn at 100 percent health, at the beginning of their order phase, fully supplied etc. Meaning that DCS currently has no concept of unit status (other than full health, comfortable). Heck, we can’t even change the time of day or weather. In that regard, DCS is lagging the competition by a good decade or two. We need a good loader, or post-start status loader to  be able to impose a status on a mission that started in status X and now has progressed to Y.

Here’s to hoping this will change.