Manually entered steerpoints seem to end up in weird/off positions

Mohamengina
Go to solution Solved by Mohamengina,

1 hour ago, Sinclair_76 said:

The lat long on the map will leave out zeros.

I.e. N23° 12.025 will show as

N23° 12.25

More than one I fat fingered in decimals 250 generating a steerppint at a whole other location.

Just to clarify: in-game, the formats on the F10 map appear just fine (Non-Precise DMS, Precise DMS, and DDM).

The Mission Editor will omit leading zeros differently depending on the format:
- DDM: N 34°07.001' will display as N 34° 7.001' (leading zero omitted from minutes).
- Non-Precise DMS: N 35°07'00" will display as N 35° 7' 0" (leading zeros omitted from minutes and seconds).
- Precise DMS: N 35°07'07.08" will display as N 35°07' 7.08" (leading zero omitted from seconds).

Also, as Tatanka said, make sure to CZ.

• Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I have had the same issue recently.  It is like the old bug, where switching to a different waypoint and back will fix it.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Yes, there is an issue where you may have to recycle the waypoint for the new coordinates to load. (Not cursor zero) But this should be relatively infrequent. If this issue is occurring often it is likely due to operational error. (More data needed)

The above however sounds like a cursor zero (maybe cycling issue if infrequent). A track file is needed to know more. 

Also ensure you are entering correct ground elevation. 

Edited by ShadowFrost

Hey everyone, 

I made a quick test because the other day I thought I saw a similar issue but in that moment I didn't pay attention. In my first test everything worked as expected: taking coordinates (lat/long) from the map view and entering them on the ICP did exactly what I intended. The waypoint was spot-on the target as shown in the "_no_issue" track. 

However, I wanted to run my favorite "Lets-try-out-new-DCS-versions" mission in Syria where I first observed the waypoint offset. There placed a waypoint right on the intersection of the two runways at Ramat David

limage.png

Now look at this: 

image.png

It is close but not where I wanted it to be. 

With this particular mission I have already reported an issue end of last year which I assume is related to the behavior that we see here. 

Hope this helps getting to the bottom of this. 

IA-F-16CM-Canyon Run Attack_strpt_issue.trk F-16C_Syria_Waypoint_no_Issue.trk

Edited by Bowman-011
  • Like 1

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

On 6/14/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bowman-011 said:

Hey everyone, 

I made a quick test because the other day I thought I saw a similar issue but in that moment I didn't pay attention. In my first test everything worked as expected: taking coordinates (lat/long) from the map view and entering them on the ICP did exactly what I intended. The waypoint was spot-on the target as shown in the "_no_issue" track. 

However, I wanted to run my favorite "Lets-try-out-new-DCS-versions" mission in Syria where I first observed the waypoint offset. There placed a waypoint right on the intersection of the two runways at Ramat David

limage.png

Now look at this: 

image.png

It is close but not where I wanted it to be. 

With this particular mission I have already reported an issue end of last year which I assume is related to the behavior that we see here. 

Hope this helps getting to the bottom of this. 

IA-F-16CM-Canyon Run Attack_strpt_issue.trk 1.43 MB · 2 downloads F-16C_Syria_Waypoint_no_Issue.trk 2.56 MB · 1 download

Same experience in my last Online flight..

i9-9900K, 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4,Asus Rog Strix 3080 10GB, TM Hotas Cougar with Vipergear VFS-WE Mod, TM MFD Cougar, TM Warthog Base with F-16 Stick.

F-16C, F-14A/B, Syria Map, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, Nevada.

No, I didn't. In fact this happens even when I'm in active pause and I place a waypoint right in front of me. 

Edited by Bowman-011

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

Ok, now I think I'm one step closer in understanding the matter. Wags' video on the FIX page got me thinking and I really do think now that it's related to the INS. When I checked the mission where I get the deviation from the intended position I saw that the date was set to 1983 which would make it a pre-GPS era scenario. Hence, the INS starts to drift as soon as I move the stick. 

Just out of curiosity I changed the date to 2011 and suddenly the drift and the offset are gone.

I'm not an expert. So if anyone comes up with a better explanation, let me know 😉 

• Like 1

ins is totally wrong compass in hot and air start.. entering coords is not accepting especially the lon coord... the ins was working properly as far as I know beofe todays patch...

I have to take back the nav... the ins seems to work in hot and air,, after rebooting after the patch... I had lots of issues after the patch,,, ctd's and more too,, but maybe the rebooting cleared up the issues... I am still struggling with entering the coords in the F-16. I used the same procedures used in one of Wags videos for entering the coords. Either the legal meds and old age of stripping me from doing this or? Been flying these for 20 years.

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

16 minutes ago, Ramstein said:

ins is totally wrong compass in hot and air start.. entering coords is not accepting especially the lon coord... the ins was working properly as far as I know beofe todays patch

Are you entering 3 digits for longitude? East 35 would be entered as E 035.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

4 hours ago, Machalot said:

Are you entering 3 digits for longitude? East 35 would be entered as E 035.

I am just hasving issues now with entering the coords... lat, no problems.. lon big problems entering and it accepting... I wil consult with some sqaud members that are better with this...

ok, I checked another video, which showed some steps I missed   that I did not see in another video... I had the ded set to manual when it should be on AUTO next to steerpoint...

Edited by Ramstein
found fix for me

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR