Target State Estimator (TSE)

giullep

I just looked it up in the manual:

Laser Range Finder and Designator (LRFD) The TADS Laser Range Finder Designator (LRFD) can provide both range to and designation of a target. In both instances, the aircraft must be armed to operate the LRFD. To range a target, the TEDAC RHG LRFD trigger is pulled to the first detent and three ranging pulses are emitted. To designate a target, the TEDAC RHG LRFD trigger is pulled to the second detent and a continuous laser pulse is emitted. Pulling the LRFD trigger to the second detent also engages the Target State Estimator (TSE). General guidance with regards to the laser are: If neither the target nor the aircraft is moving use first detent ranging, otherwise use continuous second detent designation to employ the TSE.

In short it helps you to target targets who are on the move and/or whille your aircraft moves.

• Thanks 1

i think i would rather have the IAT (Image Auto Tracker) and the MTT (multi-target tracker), but i guess this is the first step in that direction! Hope they can quickly fix the current LMC+Laser bug. Looking forward to those implementations 🙂

I might be wrong, but as far as I can remember, TSE calculates (most importantly?) the lead values, if you shoot "sideways" with your gun, especially if both the target and your helo is moving, and not even necessarily in the same direction.

From constant lasing it can determine the target distance, direction of movement relative to the helos movement direction, and speed of movement, all based on distance value changes and the time intervall between those changes. It's like a police speed gun but in a 2D speed and vector calculation environment. So it can predict, where the target will be after the time of flight for the gun rounds, so calculates lead and holdover with the gun barell while CP/G simply keep the crosshair on the moving target.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Razor18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TSE is basically the core of a ballistic computer. Aiming at a point and getting the range to it with the LRFD should be used in conjunction with the INS to allow the weapons to compensate for the aircraft motion AND the target motion (if you're tracking it via the upcoming IAT or manually).

Right now the gun for example will adjust for range, but any type of motion will lead to rounds falling short, long, left or right depending on the motion. TSE should eliminate that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1