SP Mission "Death Valley": RIGHT TRANSM OIL PRESS" after Auto-Start

LeCuvier

I'm not sure whether this post belongs here or under "Missions and Campaigns", moderators may move it as appropriate.

I have seen the issue only in the mission "Death Valley" which begins with a cold start. When I run the auto-start, everything seems fine except the EKRAN indicates "RIGHT TRANSM OIL PRESS" a bit more than 2 minutes into the auto-start. The auto-start continues and concludes with the message "Aircraft ready". The EKran however still displays "RIGHT TRANSM OIL PRESS".

When I pull the collective trying to get her off the graund she seems to lift a bit, but there is not enough engine power to get airborne. So I let her settle back down and abort the mission. A track is attached.
It's probably not a problem of the auto-start macro because that works fine in other missions or Instant Action.
I made a copy of the mission and changed it to a hot start and everything went fine.

KA-50 Death Valley Auto-Start fail.trk

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I see it happening in your track. Yet, if I take control of your track in the first seconds (right after you trigered auto-start), the aircraft auto-start ends as it should.

Maybe you inadvertently pressed a button or moved an axis during auto-start.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

I see it happening in your track. Yet, if I take control of your track in the first seconds (right after you trigered auto-start), the aircraft auto-start ends as it should.

Maybe you inadvertently pressed a button or moved an axis during auto-start.

definitely not. I just tried again to be sure.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

37 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Are you using the "Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start" option, then?

Yes I do.
I had not realized I could take control of a track replay, thanks for that info!
I did this, but it did not change the outcome. The macro displayed "Aircraft ready" but when I tried to put load on the engine by pulling the collective, the engine had not enough power and slowed down and I had to abort the takeoff.
When I run the instant action "KA-50 cold start in Mozdok" and use the auto-start it works fine. I can take off and fly away. So there might be something in the mission setup that causes the issue.

Again, I did not touch the keyboard or any game controller until the auto-start had completed.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

2 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

When I run the instant action "KA-50 cold start in Mozdok" and use the auto-start it works fine. I can take off and fly away. So there might be something in the mission setup that causes the issue.

I would say the same thing if I was able to reproduce this myself. Yet I'm only able to reproduce it when replaying your track and not taking control... 🤔

• 1 month later...

There's definitely some bug relating to a Right transmission oil pressure warning staying on the Ekran, even though the pressure has stabilised on the right wall gauges. Though it's uncommon/rare, and I've never paid attention when it happens to confirm what led up to it. Maybe it's having the throttles not be on idle during startup - unsure. Don't believe it's related to that instant action mission specifically, or damage. Might be from Win+Home starts, but again, can't quite recall. I've heard of quite a few people running into it from time to time, but regrettably that's all the detail I have.

• Like 1

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

Ran into this on MP the other day. Manual start like normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Gauge was in the green. I waited a few minutes hoping that it would clear, then just spawned a new bird. I didn't see it after that. Seems random/intermittent. </2¢>

By the way, in OP's track, right oil pressure failure alarm is not a false positive: it's really happening.

gauges.jpg

@LeCuvier Could you please try this?

1. Disable "Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start"  option.
  2. Run Death Valley mission.
  3. Launch auto-start.

Do you keep getting the failure alert?

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

I tested as you requested, and I do not get the failure.
This would suggest that I have bound a engine-related command to a switch that's in the wrong position. However, I have not bound any switch to engine functions because I need all the switches I have when I'm in action.

LeCuvier

@LeCuvier Look what I've just found while replaying your track once again. It's not just an oil pressure failure:

right_engine.jpg

Right engine startup is interrupted for some reason. It happens ~5 seconds after the needle starts moving. We need to find what can cause this interruption, so you can find which button/axis is the culprit.

There's more: once auto-start is done, if you restart APU and try a manual right engine startup, it works and the "right transm oil press" alarm disappears. The only reason you get this alarm is because something interrupts right engine startup.

Edited by Flappie

It's not that simple. For my test I removed all additions to "default.lua". When I moved these back in, the problem was back; even with "Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start" disabled. But that's only in the stock mission "Death Valley".
I have created a cold-start mission based in Beslan, and there the auto-start works all the time; also with "Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start" enabled.

These are my additions to "default.lua". None are related to the engine functions:

{down = 3002, up = 3002, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, cockpit_device_id = 23, name = _('Helmet-mounted System 2-Pos. On/Off'), category = _('Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR')},
{down = 3002, value_down = 1, cockpit_device_id = 23, name = _('Helmet-mounted System ON'), category = _('Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR')},
{down = 3002, value_down = 0, cockpit_device_id = 23, name = _('Helmet-mounted System OFF'), category = _('Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR')},
{down = 3001, up = 3001, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, cockpit_device_id = 11, name = _('Laser standby 2-Pos ON/OFF Switch'), category = _('Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR')},
{down = 3017, up = 3017, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Automatic tracking/gun sight 2-Pos AT/GS'), category = _('Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR')},
{down = 3001, up = 3001, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Master arm 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3006, up = 3006, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Cannon round selector 2-Pos HE/API'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3004, up = 3004, value_down = 0.2, value_up = 0.1, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Weapon mode Burst Length 3-Pos HIGH/MEDIUM'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3004, up = 3004, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 0.1, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Weapon mode Burst Length 3-Pos LOW/MEDIUM'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3020, up = 3020, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Cannon rate of fire 2-Pos LOW/HIGH'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3005, up = 3005, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Weapon Control 2-Pos MAN/AUTO'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3007, up = 3007, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 51, name = _('Lighting Night Vision Cockpit Switch 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = _('Ins Wall panel')},
{down = 3006, value_down = 1.0,cockpit_device_id = 2, name = _('Battery 1 Cover Open'), category = _('MODDED')},
{down = 3006, value_down = -1.0,cockpit_device_id = 2, name = _('Battery 1 Cover Close'), category = _('MODDED')},
{down = 3001, value_down = 1.0,cockpit_device_id = 34, name = _('Gear Lever DOWN'), category = _('Ins Forward panel and gauges')},
{down = 3001, value_down = -1.0,cockpit_device_id = 34, name = _('Gear Lever UP'), category = _('Ins Forward panel and gauges')},
{down = 3001, up = 3001, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, cockpit_device_id = 34, name = _('Gear Lever 2-Pos UP/DOWN'), category = _('Ins Forward panel and gauges')},
{down = 3022, up = 3022, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 12, name = _('Jettison Fuse 2-Pos ARM/DISARM'), category = _('Ins Weapons Status and Control Panel PUI-800')},
{down = 3002, up = 3002, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0, cockpit_device_id = 59, name = _('K-041 Targeting Power 2-Pos Switch ON/OFF'), category = _('Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR')},
{down = 3006, up = 3006, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, cockpit_device_id = 33, name = _('Autopilot Altitude Hold Mode 2-Pos BARO/RALT'), category = _('Autopilot Panel')},
{down = 3003, up = 3003, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, cockpit_device_id = 28, name = _('Autopilot Desired Heading/Desired Track 2-Pos DH/DT'), category = _('Autopilot Panel')},

{down = 3001, value_down = 1.0, cockpit_device_id = 7, name = _('HUD Brightness FULL'), category = _('Ins HUD controls')},
{down = 3001, value_down = 0.5, cockpit_device_id = 7, name = _('HUD Brightness DIMMED'), category = _('Ins HUD controls')},

{down = iCommandPlane_RouteMode, up = iCommandPlane_RouteMode, name = _('Route Mode 2-Pos ENGage/DISENGage '), category = _('Ins Collective Stick')},

-- Macros
{down = 300, cockpit_device_id  = 60, name = _('Macro all internal Lights UP'), category = _('Cheat')},
{down = 5000, cockpit_device_id  = 60, name = _('Macro all internal Lights DOWN'), category = _('Cheat')},
-- in the axis section:
{action = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 8, name = _('IT-23 TV Brightness Axis')},
{action = 3003, cockpit_device_id = 8, name = _('IT-23 TV Contrast Axis')},

I have started to add messages to "Macro-sequencies so I have an idea where the start-up sequence is; but that's very tedious work and I have not progressed to where the right engine start fails.

LeCuvier

Right engine start fails when the right engine cut-off valve should open. The lever goes up, but it seems to me that the valve isn't really opening and so the engine is starved of fuel.

LeCuvier

I agree, if we had defined values for ON and OFF this could not happen. But it's still strange that the problem only occurs in the "Death Valley" mission.

LeCuvier