Tutorial to Setup TrackIR

treasure

Hi, can some one point me in the direction of an easy to understand tutorial on how to set up my head tracking please?  i have got good left to right movement, and up, but down and zoom in and out using head movement is virtually non existent.  (so i cant look around the cockpit to click any low switches) i also wonder if the IR unit is too close to me, how far should it be away?  TIA

You will probably tinker a lot with it until satisfied. But once it's done, it's done.

Two important/helpful tipps:

Setup the Re-center button somewhere on you hotas. It's the most important input for TrackIr there is.

Use the control view in the setup window, where you can see the three green dots, which represents the signal that's coming back from your headsensors. There you can determine how good the cover in each direction of motion is. The camera/sensor should ideally be on the same hight and centered with the track-clip.

Edit: When the movement in one direction suddenly stops, it's usually due to the camera loosing sight of the Leds/reflectors of the track-Clip. In this case, the green dots in the control view will turn red. Better alignement will help.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 3 weeks later...

I have my sensor clipped to the top of the monitor which puts it 3-4 inches above the brim of my hat where the springy reflector is. I spent most of my time on the chart in the lower left setting the curves for roll pitch and yaw. One thing that helped me a bunch was to set a dead zone for each of 7-8 degrees in both directions. This lets my head move a little w/o changing my in game view.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ibZo1W][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49351118006_0011a66295_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2ibZo1W]TrackIR setup[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

See the green up/down arrows at the top of that chart? Hitting the up arrow will move the curves upward so you can adjust them. I grab one of the small rings on a curve and move it to move the curve. Then I move it back down which will effectively clip off the center of the curve to give the dead zone. If the curve is more vertical you get more in game head movement for a given amount of actual movement. In yaw I have it so about 75-80 deg of my head moving turns the game view to a full 180deg so I can look straight back from my plane. Since it is a curve you can change how much view angle changes for a given head movement at various points in the curve. On the right side of the screen you can see simulated heads showing how the in game view moves when you move your head. The chart below shows the same thing w/ numbers. This pic was when I was working on Yaw. You can see that I have 7.2 deg movement of my head and only .2 deg movement in game because of my dead zone.

When I started setting TIR up, I got into the plane in the quick action free flight mission. This way I could fly around anywhere I wanted, hit pause and make a TIR change, then un-pause to go back to flying to see how I liked the new setting. No one shooting me down or caring what I was doing. I adjusted TIR a lot in the first month that I had it then a little here and there for a month or two, but haven't touched it since.

41 minutes ago, CBStu said:

... This pic was when I was working on Yaw. You can see that I have 7.2 deg movement of my head and only .2 deg movement in game because of my dead zone....

Do you use the same curves for pitch, roll, and yaw? And what do you do about X,Y,Z axes?

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

5 hours ago, Despayre said:

Do you use the same curves for pitch, roll, and yaw? And what do you do about X,Y,Z axes?

No, the most important curves are pitch and yaw. I would leave all other curves on default or even reduce their magnitude. But keep them applied. It feels more natural with a little bit of xyz motion. Only axis I reduced close to nil is the roll axis.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 6/30/2022 at 10:45 AM, Despayre said:

No. This is Yaw. The goal is to be able to look straight back out of the cockpit.

This is pitch. Original goal was to be able to look straight up, and then I went a little beyond that. I need to work it a little more because I can actually go too far. The second goal was to be able to operate switches (w/ mouse)on the side consoles that are pretty far to your rear.

This is roll. It moves just a small amount. I found that I apparently roll my head when I just want to pitch or yaw so it moved way too much on screen.

TIR Yaw.jpg

TIR pitch.jpg

TIR roll.jpg

• Like 1

If you’ve got the camera mounted in a normal position, such as on top of a typical monitor at the normal distance, you shouldn’t need to do much if any setup. Just select the preset “smooth” profile and it works right away. For its seeming complexity I found TrackIR to be just plug and play more so than any other peripheral. DCS works as-is, I’ve only needed to make adjustments for one other game. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

18 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

If you’ve got the camera mounted in a normal position, such as on top of a typical monitor at the normal distance, you shouldn’t need to do much if any setup. Just select the preset “smooth” profile and it works right away. For its seeming complexity I found TrackIR to be just plug and play more so than any other peripheral. DCS works as-is, I’ve only needed to make adjustments for one other game. 

That I can't confirm. Especially the yaw is important to set up properly so you don't have to turn your head to much to either side to see 180° behind.
I used the video from above in the post to setup my TrackIR 5. It was an easy 10' task and the result was like day and night in DCS! 

Edited by Loopan

1 hour ago, Loopan said:

That I can't confirm. Especially the yaw is important to set up properly so you don't have to turn your head to much to either side to see 180° behind.
I used the video from above in the post to setup my TrackIR 5. It was an easy 10' task and the result was like day and night in DCS! 

Sure. I use TrackIR in many games and in each the preset “smooth” setting works perfectly. It does take this yaw axis consideration into account. TrackIR is actually set up so you can select a preset and use it right away. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5