Is There Any Way to Keep The Basket Out?

I'm not sure how we're supposed to practice A/A refueling when the 135 is  constantly declaring "return contact" and yanking the basket away every time we break contact or drift back 60'.   When my plane and the tanker are the only planes in the session, what is the freaking urgency for homeslice to get that hose retracted? Dude literally acts like it's his johnson hanging out there and he's desperate to get it zipped back up.

Then I have to futz with the keyboard and get out of place to get him to drop it again.  Eeesh. I don't get it?  Is this what they do in meatspace?

AA Refueling is hard enough without this strange OCD on the refuel pilot's part.  For crying out loud, please leave it extended.  Is there any setting, scripting flag, or anything that will cause him to leave the basket alone?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Just keep practicing. It's going to feel like a long road and then it will start to click. You're getting the "return pre-contact" call because the operation is timing out.

I suggest practicing flying formation with the tanker to build skills. Really, that's all you're doing when you're AAR anyways, just there's a hose involved.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 6:23 AM, randomTOTEN said:

Just keep practicing. It's going to feel like a long road and then it will start to click. You're getting the "return pre-contact" call because the operation is timing out.

I suggest practicing flying formation with the tanker to build skills. Really, that's all you're doing when you're AAR anyways, just there's a hose involved.

While true, I doubt the current behaviour is accurate (and certainly isn't the case in a certain other sim).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

AAR logic needs an overhaul. Real boomers are a lot more sensible than the DCS one. Tankers need to have custom pre-contact areas defined (currently you line up behind the tanker's fuselage to top up from wing baskets) and the safe envelopes need to be defined per aircraft, since right now, it'll call breakaway on a perfectly good Harrier approach. Plus, MPRS tankers should have both baskets and the boom, and be able to decide which to use (including all three at the same time, if needed). Also nice would be an option to outfit non-MPRS USAF tankers with the Iron Maiden, but that would require new logic, as well.

• Like 3