Open beta regular crashes (freeze)

Sylosis

Hi,

For the last 2 weeks, I noticed regular freezes that require me to kill DCS (game freezes, but I can alt+tab and kill the DCS process). Almost only happened when playing the Operation Sandstorm F-14B campaign. I'm either spending my DCS time doing that campaign, or playing online with friends on a private server, with the F-16. I haven't had any crashes/freeze when being online.

Not sure what files to share in such a situation, feel free to request them (and maybe point me to where I should find them). I attached the DXDiag report in case it's relevant.

I'm currently trying to repair DCS to see if it'll help.

(Specs are: Windows 11-64bits (up to date), 3080Ti (up to date drivers), 32GB RAM and Ryzen 5800X.)

Running the latest DCS Open Beta version.

DxDiag.txt

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

5 hours ago, Sylosis said:

For the last 2 weeks, I noticed regular freezes that require me to kill DCS (game freezes, but I can alt+tab and kill the DCS process). Almost only happened when playing the Operation Sandstorm F-14B campaign.

Please define "Almost". Does it happen to you when you're NOT flying the Tomcat, and if so, what are the conditions? (aircraft, terrain, SP/MP...)

The next time you get this kind of freeze, please attach the resulting dcs.log from your "Saved Games/DCS.../Logs" folder.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

Please define "Almost". Does it happen to you when you're NOT flying the Tomcat, and if so, what are the conditions? (aircraft, terrain, SP/MP...)

The next time you get this kind of freeze, please attach the resulting dcs.log from your "Saved Games/DCS.../Logs" folder.

By "Almost", I mean that although I haven't taken precise notes as to what I was doing when it crashed, I have a high level of confidence the freezing occurs with the F-14B, but I can't tell you it's 100% of the freezes with the F-14. I am certain it's 95% or more.

Recently I have only done 2 things in DCS: either single player Operation Sandstorm F-14B campaign or multiplayer on a private server, flying the mostly the F-16. I do not recall ever freezing while being on the private server with the F-16.

Moreover, I can say that the situations where it froze varied. On one occasion, it froze just as I got hit by a missile. On another occasion, it was during "time acceleration". And on another occasion, it was as I was approaching the carrier to land. It never froze right at the start of a mission. It was always after quite some playing time (30 minutes or more).

Note that after posting this, I saw another thread which is very recent here about people complaining they seem to freeze with the F-14. I suspect my issue is probably the same.

Finally, I'm not super tech savvy so my question might sound "noob": if I had 2 or 3 freezes yesterday, are the logs from these occurrences still available? or is the file always overwritten every time I restart DCS? If they are still available I can share them.

Edited by Sylosis
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Thanks for the detailed info. Crashes do produce zip files that stay forever until you delete them. Freezes, however, do not produce such files since the game is 'frozen'.

You'll find two log files: dcs.log and dcs.log.old.

Everytime the game starts, it renames previous dcs.log to dcs.log.old (thus overwriting the previous dcs.log.old file).

Edited by Flappie
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Yes, this is becoming a daily event.  From what I can discern, it seems that DCS is getting "lost".  It is still running but is ignoring keyboard input and not presenting the display.  Alt Tab works but when you do your mouse clicks are still being captured by DCS so you can't kill the task in task mgr.  If I do a windows switch user I can get the mouse back and kill it.  Since, it doesn't crash there is no crash report.  I will send log files next time it happens.

I have a high end system as well.

i9 12900K, 64G ram, 3080 Ti

• 2 weeks later...

I feel I'm experiencing a similar experience as of late, and something I've never noticed before. Since the South Atlantic release and flying the AV-8B I've encountered intermittent the black screen appearing in VR (HP Reverb G2 using OpenXR). Alt-tabbing out to the monitor image (2D) and the game is frozen and in a hang state.

I've noticed this on Razbams Public Server (Through the Inferno v2.2.4c) as well the Aerobatics South Atlantic MP server.

The frozen/hang is random (no set period or anything in particular that resembles anything that I can reproduce).

Checking through the logs from today (I've attached both dcs.log and dsc.log.old) at the end of each file these two lines are present....

2022-06-26 19:41:58.805 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'wet_map_map' not found. Asked from ''
2022-06-26 19:41:59.350 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'nimitz_details_72_dm_map' not found. Asked from ''

Hopefully the logfiles produces some useful information on any issues that can be resolved.

dcs.zip

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

On 6/16/2022 at 10:31 AM, KoleTang said:

Yes, this is becoming a daily event.  From what I can discern, it seems that DCS is getting "lost".  It is still running but is ignoring keyboard input and not presenting the display.  Alt Tab works but when you do your mouse clicks are still being captured by DCS so you can't kill the task in task mgr.  If I do a windows switch user I can get the mouse back and kill it.  Since, it doesn't crash there is no crash report.  I will send log files next time it happens.

I have a high end system as well.

i9 12900K, 64G ram, 3080 Ti

Yep, encountering this almost daily now and am really getting tired of it. Usually happens in the F14 30-50nm out  from the carrier after launch or coming in for a landing. 

Edited by HeavyGun1450