GBU-31 3/B damage

Ignition

Hi. Today I tried the gbu-24 a/b and could destroy the shelter with a single bomb. But then I went with the gbu-31 3/b with FD 15 msec and then did another attack with air to the same target. I know air should do less damage but I don't know if this is working at all.

Both gbu-31 3/b couldn't destroy the shelter which is weird since as I understand both bombs are "bunker buster".

Air stands for airburst, which is the wrong fuse setting, if you want to penetrate a target. Air bursts explodes a few feet above the grond.

While both bombs have some penetrating capability, only the v3 is a dedicated penetrator. It uses the BLU109 warhead and features a stronger casing to penetrate harder targets 

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

56 minutes ago, Ignition said:

Both weapons use the BLU-109. I guess they should produce the same effect.

I will try later with a greater FD, maybe 15ms was to short.

nope, only the V3 and V4 (naval version of the V3) have the BLU109

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

7 hours ago, Falconeer said:

nope, only the V3 and V4 (naval version of the V3) have the BLU109

I was talking specifically about GBU-24 A/B and GBU-31 3/B, both weapons are based on BLU-109.

In DCS at least with the shelter the gbu-24 destroys it in one hit but 2 gbu-31 doesn't. I will try to test again the 31 with a bigger FD.

Ok, I made some testings on the F-16C.

First I droped 2 GBU-31 3/B FD 35ms to the shelter, it didn't get destroyed.

Second I used the GBU-24 A/B, I got confused because the bombs went right through the shelter and impacted the ground a few meters after it, AD was set to 4 seconds. Then I tested with 8 seconds and the bomb did explode after 8 seconds of impact.

Third, I used the GBU-24 A/B again but with AD 0 it did hit and destroy the shelter in 1 hit. AD is working as FD for this bomb.

The GBU-31 3/B is not doing enough damage since both bombs are based on BLU-109.

(I did save all the tracks but as always the track files do wathever they want and ALL the tracks saved the same file, an F-14 on batumi for wathever reason. I didn't even used the F-14 HAHAHAHA.)

2 hours ago, Ignition said:

The GBU-31 3/B is not doing enough damage since both bombs are based on BLU-109.

I don't think it's a weapon issue as the GBU-31 3/B Penetrator does pretty much the same damage as the GBU-24 when used by the Hornet. Haven't tested with shelters, but for ammo warehouse the Hornet needs two bombs of either type to destroy it.

The Viper on the other hand does not kill the ammo warehouse with 2x GBU-31 3/B Penetrator and needs to drop much more of them to destroy it. I suspect it's an issue with the default fuse settings on the Viper, as I observed the bombs going straight through the warehouse and impacting on the ground below it. I haven't tried other fuse settings yet, but that's what I'm gonna try playing around with next.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So, the AD for GBU-24 should be 0? I tried a few times with 1 or 2 seconds and the bomb did not destroy a hangar shelter - went through with no effect  or made a crater next to a hangar.

the only damage I saw so Far was when the bomb didnt follow the laser and fell down on random buildings in a city…

4 hours ago, NineLine said:

The ammo depot has been reported for damage issues, so in the case of that building, its not the weapon.

If you are seeing other issues, please supply a track.

As I said I did the tests with the shelter, not the ammo depot.

I will not bother with the tracks since they saved wathever they want, an F-14 on batumi, I saved all the tracks and all of them saved the same F-14 track.

If you want is as simple as droping a GBU-31 3/B with an F-16 to a static shelter. It will be even faster than downloading the track file.

The GBU-24 A/B will destroy it in one hit but ONLY with AD 0, AD is working as FD so if you change it it will explode late.