AN/ASQ-153 Pave Spike and AN/ALQ-131 ECM pod simultaneous use?

From photos it appears that the AN/ASQ-153 Pave Spike is mounted in the left front sparrow station on the F-4E:

File:Pave Spike pod on 51st TFW F-4E 1982.JPEG

Similarly, I have seen photos of the AN/ALQ-131 ECM pod in the same station:

File:F-4E Phantom II armed with missiles in 1985.JPEG

Is it possible to mount either of these pods in the front right/elsewhere, and is it possible to use them simultaneously? Would that configuration ever have been used operationally?

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've actually heard this mentioned in audiobooks about the phantom. This info is from from "Fighter Pilot" by Robin Olds. During Operation Bolo they wanted to use jammer pods to look like they were really Thuds and migs would scramble up after them, but they ran into a lot of issues because they were never mounted on the F-4 to that point. They mentioned explicitly that it could only fit on one side because the wiring could only deliver enough power to that one side, so it's likely the echoes of that particular issue, so we might only be able to mount one or the other in that specific station.

• Like 1

It's not a 131 but here is a photo of what looks like an ALQ-119 and PAVE Spike mounted at the same time. I think it is at least possible, if not probable, that this is a valid configuration

.R (1).jpg 

Edited by Vampyre
  • Like 3

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

On 6/29/2022 at 3:07 PM, Mig Fulcrum said:

Is somewhat confermed there will be a Pave Spike pod?

Yes.

All the documentation we would need (apart from maybe sensor and display resolution) is in the -34-1-1 applicable to DSCG F-4E.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I was stationed at Eglin AFB in Florida in the late 1970's, and worked WCS (radar) on Pave Spike F-4E's in the 58th Tactical Fighter Squadron.  The Pave Spike was only mounted in the left forward Sparrow missile well.  I don't remember seeing any of the planes that had a Pave Spike pod carrying an ECM pod at the same time.  Just FYI, most of the F-4E's at the time still had Direct View Storage Tube (DVST) scopes in them.  We actually had several planes with the Multiple Sensor Display Group (MSDG) scopes from Hazeltine, which were horrible to maintain.  We were starting to get planes back from phase overhaul at Ogden, Utah with the Digital Scan Converter Group (DSCG) scopes.  Both of the later models had pretty decent TV displays for TV guided weapons, and the Pave Spike camera (as well as TISEO).

Edited by TeamMaximus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack