Pilot radar modes with human RIO

CBenson89

The pilot has controls for PAL, PLM, VSL-HI and VSL-LO. Activating these will override whatever mode the RIO had the radar in, even with a player RIO. 

The RIO also has controls to select VSL-HI and VSL-LO, but not PLM or PAL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Home Fries said:

If you do take over the radar, make sure you let your RIO know ahead of time.  Otherwise, your RIO will likely make disparaging remarks about your lineage when he has to rebuild the picture he's been working on.

I can confirm this!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 hours ago, near_blind said:

The pilot has controls for PAL, PLM, VSL-HI and VSL-LO. Activating these will override whatever mode the RIO had the radar in, even with a player RIO. 

The RIO also has controls to select VSL-HI and VSL-LO, but not PLM or PAL. 

I'd add that RIO also has MRL:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#manual-rapid-lockon-mrl

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Yea there’s a reason those controls look tacked on up on the side of the cockpit. Ideally unless the RIO is task loaded, or not conscious, or the plane is deep in ACM the pilot shouldn’t really have much occasion to reach over there and ever use them. 

I’d give VSL and help them point the scan area. But moving inside 10 miles without contact is pretty iffy outside of AirQuake. VSL/PAL/PLM are for lost locks while maneuvering. 

On the push you should at least have the target IFF and Ideally on Candid Camera so you can see what they’re doing.

That’s another Jester thing. Be nice if he Zoomed ever.