[Firmware Bug]The OEM Name‘s First Character of VKB Joystick is "Blank"

Firmware version:VKB Device Firmware (v2.09.0 XT) 

Example:

RTMYu7t9Pd6l4bf.png

Because the OEM name of Joystick's is "Blank",so the control files been generated by DCS like this above.First character is "Blank",cause Windows bug,I can't rename the files.

In system "Regedit",the VKB joystick's OEM full name is " VKBsim Gunfighter MCG Ultimate ",or this "(blank) VKBsim Gunfighter MCG Ultimate(blank)".This is the reason why DCS will generate the wrong control files.The solution is to manually modify the OEM name, delete the first blank and the last blank in the regedit.I hope VKB can fix this in firmware.I dont know why they add 2 blanks in the name?How dare u?I also posted a topic in VKB forum,but no one reply,hope they can pay attention to this bug.

veunJwidlHbMsoc.png

Edited by zhouyut001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GamingPC: Ryzen 5950X  + 64G RAM + Nvidia 4090 + 1T Dedicated SSD For DCS 
  • HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro
  • HomeServer: Dell R7515 (EPYC 7402 + 1 T RAM + 48T SSD Raid10 + Nvidia A40
  • Network: Google Fiber 2G

I'm hoping VKB will soon let us modify the device or vendor name in the config software so that multiples of the same model base/grip (on the one computer) don't cause problems in the game bindings. Setting unique PID and serial doesn't seem to be enough to prevent some games mixing up the bindings.

This has caused issues for years. I have had to manually edit the registry to get the VKB stick to register correctly in third party software for another flight sim. I completely forget about the problem until some change makes it rear its ugly head again.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can't say really that it has been an issue for me, never noticed it actually. But I keep things relatively simple on my end just assigning button directly in game. I do not use third party software with any of my hardware peripherals.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

53 minutes ago, dburne said:

Can't say really that it has been an issue for me, never noticed it actually. But I keep things relatively simple on my end just assigning button directly in game. I do not use third party software with any of my hardware peripherals.

If u wanna use Renamer fast restore control files,this bug will let u cannot rename files name or DCS won't read ur new files 

• HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro

12 minutes ago, zhouyut001 said:

If u wanna use Renamer fast restore control files,this bug will let u cannot rename files name or DCS won't read ur new files 

Well I don't even know what Renamer is or say I have heard of it, so I guess I am good to go. Been using VKB Sticks for quite some time, first with the original Gunfighter and currently with the Gunfighter Mk III. Have not run into any issue yet, but like I said I keep things fairly simple. Just a few customizations here and there.

I am not minimizing any issues others may be having due to this, just stating for me it is not an issue. If it is a big issue for some suggest posting on it over on the VKB Forums.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

36 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well I don't even know what Renamer is or say I have heard of it, so I guess I am good to go. Been using VKB Sticks for quite some time, first with the original Gunfighter and currently with the Gunfighter Mk III. Have not run into any issue yet, but like I said I keep things fairly simple. Just a few customizations here and there.

I am not minimizing any issues others may be having due to this, just stating for me it is not an issue. If it is a big issue for some suggest posting on it over on the VKB Forums.

Renamer is a rename files' name program.U know after system reinstalled the device ID will change.U need to copy the new device ID to rename the old control files' name.I already posted a topic in VKB forum,but there are no replies.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Just rename the control files use "Renamer" can very fast to restore the control files.

Edited by zhouyut001

You are a life saver!  Literally just saved me hours and hours reprogramming all of my controls.  Thank you so much for sharing this.  

VKB needs to get it together for their software support.  I've been dealing with this same crap for years.  Honestly ready to jump ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

VKB hasn't caused any problems for me with DCS. The only time I have had issues is configuring VRS TacPack. If I wanted that software to work, I had to go into the registry and manually alter the name to get rid of the spaces. But I haven't bothered with FSX/P3d/VRS for quite some time, so I haven't had any issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/16/2022 at 11:41 AM, Strong05 said:

You are a life saver!  Literally just saved me hours and hours reprogramming all of my controls.  Thank you so much for sharing this.  

VKB needs to get it together for their software support.  I've been dealing with this same crap for years.  Honestly ready to jump ship.

What helps me is saving profiles in DCS for the devices I have that get mixed up. Then can fix it by reloading profiles in DCS and not having to rename files or mess with GUIDs.

4 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

What helps me is saving profiles in DCS for the devices I have that get mixed up. Then can fix it by reloading profiles in DCS and not having to rename files or mess with GUIDs.

Yeah I make a habit of keeping my profiles exported to have just in case. 

• Like 1

Don B

8 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

VKB needs to get it together for their software support

I have the Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition Ultimate and its a great stick, but its software, not so much.

I use Virpil's software on the CM3 Throttle and its superior software I reckon. Plus better support.

@Munkwolf @dburne Absolutely! .... I too export the controller's profile's from DCS to a suitable folder on my PC as backup. It is really worth doing. Its only a matter of time before I need to restore a profile. I keep profiles for each controller in a separate folder for each aircraft. I increment the file name like " 012 VKB MCG DCS Hornet FA18C.diff.lua " Makes it easy to keep them in order.

Edited by Dallas88B
added comment re exporting profiles
  • Like 2

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

On 6/24/2022 at 5:41 PM, Munkwolf said:

I try to do this as well, but often forget to save after every update to controller profiles.  It's a lot of micromanaging of the controller profiles when it could be the easiest and simplest thing ever if we can just keep the OG files that DCS saves by default.  It also takes up a descent amount of time (granted way better then starting from scratch) as I have most of the modules and 4 devices (~35 modules x 4 devices is 140 save files). This should be exceedingly easy and it's not. Part of that blame falls on DCS, but this problem only serves to amplify DCS's short comings.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

22 minutes ago, Strong05 said:

It's a lot of micromanaging of the controller profiles

Yes it is. The things I would like to see in this context are:

1/ DCS ability to backup all controller profiles for all aircraft with one button press, and / or ;

2/ DCS ability to backup all controller profiles for ONE specified aircraft with one button press, plus

3/ Virpil's VPC Configuration Tool - that the tool advises the configuration (eg: config file name) currently loaded on the controller. (I only have a few DCS Aircraft so its practical for me to avoid this problem by using a different colour code in the CM3 LED buttons - so I can tell I have the F/A-18C loaded vs the Apache AH-64D etc - but more modules would make this impractical)

And, unrelated to DCS, but in IL2 the ability to download (hence save) and upload (restore) profiles at all.

Maybe one day.

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 6:06 PM, Dogmanbird said:

I'm hoping VKB will soon let us modify the device or vendor name in the config software so that multiples of the same model base/grip (on the one computer) don't cause problems in the game bindings. Setting unique PID and serial doesn't seem to be enough to prevent some games mixing up the bindings.

In case this helps others in this thread, the July 5th firmware & VKB Config software now allows us to apply a MCGU USB product ID to one stick, and MCGPRO product ID to the other if necessary, to try and help games differentiate between two identical types of grips being used at the same time. I won't jump for joy just yet and will keep testing, but I'm quietly confident it's now working correctly. 😄

Edited by Dogmanbird

item in pink is where you set the USB PID

Blue circled - setting unique S/N and PID values per stick alone weren't enough to help DCS and ED (or vkb config) to either see or treat them as separate grips

I'm guessing the reason for this method (not making it freely editable unlike mmjoy2) is to keep things legit. From the interweb (per manufacturer or device model??)--> "The cost for issuing this number  (USBPID) is US$5,000 per year. Additionally, the use of a trademarked USB logo to identify certified devices requires license fee of US$3,500 for a 2-year term". The fee applies once sale quantities exceed a threshold. It's basically free for dev/testing devices like an arduino

image.png

Edited by Dogmanbird