Strange Ground Radar behaviour while zooming in

AlexPlorateur

As I said in the title I have a strange behaviour with my radar that no one else seems to have. While zooming in any modes (GM/GMT/SEA) and changing the A number, the radar takes longer to update rather than being faster. I have this bug since like 6 months, redownloading DCS, repairing etc won't fix it.
This happens in any mission, single player or multiplayer.
Am I doing something wrong ? Posted this 3 times on discord and no one answered me...

Thank you !

i5 12400f - 6750xt - 24gb ddr4 - ssd - 1440p monitor

EXP is just NORM with a display change so the time per scan is identical in both. In this way A6 is slow and A1 quick just the same. DBS has special patch sizes so Az setting has no effect. Scanning the DBS patch takes the same time regardless of A setting.

4 hours ago, Frederf said:

Scanning the DBS patch takes the same time regardless of A setting.

Well in this case the A setting is even slowing it down. When it was 1st introduced changing it would have accelerate the scan, wich is not the case anymore. Is it a correction that has occured recently ? I had a long pause on the sim soo

i5 12400f - 6750xt - 24gb ddr4 - ssd - 1440p monitor

• ED Team

Hi, I am not seeing any issue when I check, seems correct to me. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

AlexPlorateur maybe had that scene in mind: https://youtu.be/JenH3nam0xY?t=452
So the video shows obviously something else to what is currently modeled.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

AlexPlorateur maybe had that scene in mind:

So the video shows obviously something else to what is currently modeled.
That behavior was wrong and was fixed in the meantime. There might still be a bug here, according to OP's video, however. The Azimuth selection option should not affect the DBS scans.
  • Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

58 minutes ago, Harker said:

That behavior was wrong and was fixed in the meantime. There might still be a bug here, according to OP's video, however. The Azimuth selection option should not affect the DBS scans.

Oh, cool. I also wondered why the radar was able to scan in detail with that speed shown in Wags' video.

I have a question to the behaviour of the cursor, when EXP, DSB1 or DSB2 was selected: Why does the picture "jump back" if I try to move the radard cursor around?
Is it related to the time delay the radar beam is causing due to the slower slew? If so, can I assume that it its not recommended to slew around when these three modes are active, does it? Wags didn't use the cursor to slew around, he just used freeze and then slewed around.
I am asking, because I face problems when using FREEZE and then slewing the cursor, that when using TMS the point on the radard display doesn't correspond to the point in the world.

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 2

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

On 6/18/2022 at 6:57 AM, TOViper said:

Oh, cool. I also wondered why the radar was able to scan in detail with that speed shown in Wags' video.

I have a question to the behaviour of the cursor, when EXP, DSB1 or DSB2 was selected: Why does the picture "jump back" if I try to move the radard cursor around?
Is it related to the time delay the radar beam is causing due to the slower slew? If so, can I assume that it its not recommended to slew around when these three modes are active, does it? Wags didn't use the cursor to slew around, he just used freeze and then slewed around.
I am asking, because I face problems when using FREEZE and then slewing the cursor, that when using TMS the point on the radard display doesn't correspond to the point in the world.

That's a wrong implementation of the slew action. It's a bug and IIRC it was already reported a long time ago.

• Like 1

Viewing this from a bit more outside, it's not always the best thing to use Wags videos as a source of reference. On the other hand, not forgeting about Wags' efforts to create these, and which are done in a very nice way IMHO. On another hand, his content seems to be remembered by people, which is a good sign. I recognize things after looking at them, ... and then getting stunned about the divergences *boom*. It's always a pleasure to see him sitting in the pit and to listen to his very - americanish - talking; I understand just the half what he says..., but anyway ... at least the HALF of it 😄
But this is maybe worth to be discussed in another topic.

Anyway, @toilet2000 thanks for the info on this!

my computer:

On 6/20/2022 at 4:18 PM, toilet2000 said:

That's a wrong implementation of the slew action. It's a bug and IIRC it was already reported a long time ago.

This? Because unfortunately it's marked as "correct as-is" despite video evidence (though depicting earlier version of the radar we have) to the contrary.

Edited by Northstar98
EDIT: video is of an AN/APG-68 - so same radar, but an older version
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

This? Because unfortunately it's marked as "correct as-is" despite video evidence (of an earlier radar mind) to the contrary.

Well, you’re absolutely right but this is 100% not correct as-is indeed. See the JF-17 for a correct implementation.

The current implementation makes literally 0 sense.

• Like 3

Just now, toilet2000 said:

Well, you’re absolutely right but this is 100% not correct as-is indeed. See the JF-17 for a correct implementation.

The current implementation makes literally 0 sense.

Absolutely agreed.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:02 AM, Northstar98 said:

This? Because unfortunately it's marked as "correct as-is" despite video evidence (though depicting earlier version of the radar we have) to the contrary.

Re-check that link, they updated it to "reported" and merged it with another thread, so the snap-back is going to be fixed.

• Like 1

Fantastic.

System:

In OP's video it does seems to be the scanning speed of radar beam, which is indicated by a 'T' symbol at the bottom of the page, decreases as the Scan Width setting goes from A6 to A3 to A1.

Here's an IRL footage of DBS2 mode under A6 setting and you can check the scanning speed and cursor movements: (from 0:36)

Edited by DummyCatz
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

BigNewy, I think this is worth revisiting by ED, even though it is marked as "correct as is".

At the moment, the scan time for DBS1/DBS2 is independent of azimuth setting, and I guess this is correct as based on the what I can see in documentations. There should be no speedup for these modes when swithcing to A3 or A1 scan azimuth setting. For the EXP mode I don't understand why there is no speedup, as it is just the expanded NORM image from what I gather in the available documents.

There is a closely related issue that the azimuth scan shown by the little "T" mark indicates the radar actually does two full-angle A6/A3/A1 sweeps for each DBS image. I would assume that the radar actually only scans the angle ranges needed for the patches for such images to keep the update time and data gathered from ground reflections optimal.

Another related bug is that in EXP/DBS1/DBS2 and A1 or A3 sweep setting, the radar dish is indicated to sweep around the 0° azimuth even for off-bore targets. This is very likely a bug. In NORM, the antenna is correctly indicated as sweeping around the cursor position at an off-bore azimuth.

Edit: attached track

220829-radar scan azimuth indicator in EXP.trk

Edited by SeaBass80

On 6/18/2022 at 12:32 PM, Harker said:

Hi.

So what is then the correct (or the more correct) behavior?; the one that we have now or the one in Wagg's video?

Thanks in advance.

Saludos.

Saca111

• 2 weeks later...