My Viper trims itself randomly and erratic

Without any reason, it trims to the right in plain flight. I have a hat bound to trim, and that one does not drift or need calibration. The hat never sends any signal in A10, F18 or the AH64 without me moving it. But in The F16 I have to correct trim to center regularly without having fired any wing mounted ordonnance. I don't know what is triggering this. Anyone?

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

autopilot on?
the viper does not give any audio warning when overriding the AP and i think the AP does not disengage by itself, so it can lead to erratic behaviour if you forget about it.

also when this happens again, check your trim panel in the left console. it shows you your trim with little dials, so you can see if it is actually trimming, or some other effect...

1 hour ago, dutchili said:

A similar issue was seen with multiple usb controllers connected. In my case a Logitec g29 wheel. Disconnected, reset the pc, issue gone. 

You don't need to disconnect it. Just make sure to go into options and clear all axis binds for the controllers that aren't in use. It's usually best to clear all axis binds for all controllers and then only bind what you're actually going to use, otherwise you can easily miss a default double bind or something similar.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Moxica, those symptoms are almost certainly indications of two axes bound to a control or two buttons bound to trim. Been there. Just go on a hunt for double bindings. Depending on the controllers you have DCS has default bindings that are often on a second or third controller. It can even be a controller you only have plugged in but don't use in DCS. I have all of my controllers on USB hubs with individual buttons for each connector/controller. Look closely because it's easy to miss something simply because you don't expect to see it. Good luck. It can be a headache to track these down.

7 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

You don't need to disconnect it. Just make sure to go into options and clear all axis binds for the controllers that aren't in use. It's usually best to clear all axis binds for all controllers and then only bind what you're actually going to use, otherwise you can easily miss a default double bind or something similar.

In my case there were no bounds, and therefore erratic behavior (sudden stick up input)

Autopilot off. I have USB joystick into throttle, and throttle into PC. I have some kind of bluetooth x-box controller with a dongle that is made for PC. (Not really an xbox controller) Plus a set of CH products (yoke not connected) USB pedals.
Today I suspect a rotary on the throttle. Because yesterday I assigned one of those two as zoom for the TGP.
The other one has been assigned to trim. (Did not work well, so I un-bound it)
I must check as I get home from work

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

14 minutes ago, Moxica said:

Autopilot off. I have USB joystick into throttle, and throttle into PC. I have some kind of bluetooth x-box controller with a dongle that is made for PC. (Not really an xbox controller) Plus a set of CH products (yoke not connected) USB pedals.
Today I suspect a rotary on the throttle. Because yesterday I assigned one of those two as zoom for the TGP.
The other one has been assigned to trim. (Did not work well, so I un-bound it)
I must check as I get home from work

Hi.

First, save all your bindings. Then;

IF it is a slight right bank;

Then, clear them all and check ingame . If the AC still banks, check that you don't have the TGP on right hand cheek, wich is known to cause a slight bank to the right, difficult to cancel by trimming. If so, unload it and try again. The plane should fly straight and level

Once you are sure it is not the TGP, start plugging one by one the controllers (Joy, Pads etc) and check after each introduction. If you find the culprit, try to fix/clear the binding and once fixed/cleared, load the saved profiles and clear the known culprit.

IF it is a violent mouvement,

Check for double assignements  and/or check HOTAS synchronization before starting the mission, to be sure the joy is recognized before starting. Also , mouve the joy all ways around before pressing the "fly" buton.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

I can see the spontaneous trim change in the "Right ctrl-enter" window-thing..
The other day, it behaved as if it was in some kind of "latch mode"; It returned to zero by it self after I've moved it.

Edited by Moxica

4 hours ago, desolunatic said:

Sounds like faulty hardware more than anything. Test outside of DCS

I'm hesitant to make that conclusion, as I see no signs in other modules..
Anyhoo, I'm pretty darn certain there is a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog coming my way on my birthday later this month.

I found it now. I have fooled my self; Roll trim wheel was still assigned to that rotary on my throttle. I could have sweared...
Thank you so much gentlemen for your engagement.

Edited by Moxica
  • Thanks 1