More Stuff in Ukraine

Kongamato

Probably this is a question that a lot of people wonder for a long time, and I don´t know if has been officially responded: Why the Caucasus Maps doesn´t includes Crimea?

Crimea was the main scenery in Flanker 2 and Lock On, so I assume that ED already has the satellite data and the meshes of that territory and it would be just neccesary to update the textures and the static objects to include it in the map of Caucasus, so... Why is not Crimea in that map?

I assume there are technical reasons, but I would like to know, if someone knows the exact reasons for that. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Yeah, that would be my guess. Then again they are making a Syria map, thats a pretty hot potato right now, same with the PG map.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Political reasons. To hot right now in Russia.

It´s possible. But I´m curious about why Crimea was the main map in Flanker 2 and Lock On Flaming Cliffs and was removed from DCS World. It was too "hot" then, about 8-10 years ago, too? And the russo-georgian war in 2008? Georgia couldn´t be a more conflictive zone when FC2 was released...

Edited by Kongamato

On old lomac map dont reach Georgia, that was added on FC-1, moving to east and deplete crimea by a engine limitation (object count).

Very difficult see a "mayor enhanced", we have a mayor rebuild on 2018 with 2.5, and remember, has "hot" zones in the Caucasus never develop on DCS as Chechnya and other Caucasus republics.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

and remember, has "hot" zones in the Caucasus never develop on DCS as Chechnya and otter Caucasus republics.

But in 2008 there was a war between Rusia and Georgia, so the map of Caucasus was even a hotter zone when Flaming Cliff 2 was released than Crimea is now. For example, only two years before Flaming Cliff 2 was released, Tu-22's had launched bombs over our well known Vaziani Airbase.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/georgia-2008-bomb.htm

But in 2008 there was a war between Rusia and Georgia, so the map of Caucasus was even a hotter zone when Flaming Cliff 2 was released than Crimea is now. For example, only two years before Flaming Cliff 2 was released, Tu-22's had launched bombs over our well known Vaziani Airbase.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/georgia-2008-bomb.htm

ED has very clear on that situation on forum. meanwhile ED has working now on another "Free" map outside the Caucasus.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

But in 2008 there was a war between Rusia and Georgia, so the map of Caucasus was even a hotter zone when Flaming Cliff 2 was released than Crimea is now. For example, only two years before Flaming Cliff 2 was released, Tu-22's had launched bombs over our well known Vaziani Airbase
But it's a different story. I mean, they modelled Iran and that's a well known theatre of past conflicts not to mention a possibility for future ones (lets hope not, but…), Ugra is making a map of Syria with a current conflict in there, and we do know of other maps awaiting like Afghanistan, what to say. Those are clear wars (even the past Georgian one), but the thing with Crimea is, and trying not to discuss any political stuff here but making me understand, it's not 'just a war', even if it was a war is somewhat debatable, it's a diplomatic conflict in which no matter how you treat the subject there would be unhappy people on one side or another and we have a company based on one side while many people using the sim is on the other. So, also bearing in mind the size of maps is limited in the current engine, and despite many of us would like to see that part of the World again due to LOMAC Nostalgic reasons, it's clearly better for ED to let that part of the World out of the current map scope avoiding in the process any 'inconvenience'.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Well. this is like beating a dead horse. ED hast stated that it is not allowed and / or will not do Crimea. The logic or reasons behind the one not allowing ED to do this will not change in this forum ;).

ED has also stated that discussion of 'what's and 'why's of such a map would not be tolerated in this forum. I would suggest dropping the subject. No point in poking a hornet's nest.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...
But it's a different story. I mean, they modelled Iran and that's a well known theatre of past conflicts not to mention a possibility for future ones (lets hope not, but…), Ugra is making a map of Syria with a current conflict in there, and we do know of other maps awaiting like Afghanistan, what to say. Those are clear wars (even the past Georgian one), but the thing with Crimea is, and trying not to discuss any political stuff here but making me understand, it's not 'just a war', even if it was a war is somewhat debatable, it's a diplomatic conflict in which no matter how you treat the subject there would be unhappy people on one side or another and we have a company based on one side while many people using the sim is on the other. So, also bearing in mind the size of maps is limited in the current engine, and despite many of us would like to see that part of the World again due to LOMAC Nostalgic reasons, it's clearly better for ED to let that part of the World out of the current map scope avoiding in the process any 'inconvenience'.

S!

Sounds like like the 2 korea's and 38th parallel :D, but that didnt stop a game developer from 1 side making a certain sim taking place over there.

and Yes there is a conflict being fought there. A proxy war is still a war. Its conventional enough since the conflict has involved armored warfare and heavy support units such as artillery and various Air defenses. I would like to see a Crimea even if it wasn't part of current map, although it would be great if it was.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Well. this is like beating a dead horse. ED hast stated that it is not allowed and / or will not do Crimea. The logic or reasons behind the one not allowing ED to do this will not change in this forum ;).

i dont see why the same logic wouldn't have been applied to the 2008 Georgian war back in LOMAC days when that conflict was still fresh

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

You guys are missing the issue with Crimea.

ED is based in Russia.

Russia is known for politicising their media and enforcing a narrative, claiming whole swathes of land through overt and covert means.

Crimea has ALWAYS been a particular hot topic for the RF, to the extent they launched a surprise invasion and started Cold War II.

LOTS of bickering about whether to render Crimea as Ukrainian or Russian on maps, among numerous other conflicts involving state sanctions and outright warfare.

What's the difference with Georgia? ED is based in Russia. Russia won that war and on an international level it is largely resolved to the satisfaction of everyone but Georgia. Likewise with Syria, more or less. Crimea and the whole Ukrainian conflict is ongoing, something Russia has paid a high price for, and is a key matter of the administration's political survival. It is an extremely sensitive topic for people that live and work in Russia.... LIKE THE BULK OF ED STAFF.

Simply rendering Crimea on the map as within Ukrainian territory would guarantee immediate censure in this political environment. Creating a campaign that depicted Russians in a negative or aggressor stance regarding Crimea would guarantee censure. I can go on, but you should get the idea by now. They don't care about Georgia or Syria, those are happy memories. Crimea/Ukraine has a bitter taste.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Or as another alternative simply offer a ww2 era Crimean map, to avoid modern day geopoltics.

Multiple historic ww2 battles took place ver that region, and changed hands through axis and allied ( soviet) hands over the course of the war.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

we have it, pacific maps and zero
XD

giphy.gif

What does that have to do with the price of fish?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro