More Stuff in Ukraine

Kongamato

Simply rendering Crimea on the map as within Ukrainian territory would guarantee immediate censure in this political environment.

When you change map type and zoom in you can read "Ukrainskaya SSR". Are we in trouble now or is it good that it's just the "country" from the past?

Krym.thumb.jpg.3c298dc8c69e8325c3496db361d83400.jpg

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hmmm. I wonder why ''SSR''? Never noticed that before, indicates a 90s era, even though the rest of the map is 2008. Interesting.

That aside, yes, it causes drama every time that sort of thing comes up, or have you not noticed the frequent shitstorms everytime one company or another displays Crimea one way or another? As a Russian company, with probable Ukrainian ties as well, they would be extremely likely to catch flak with however they depict it.

I mean really, what do you think they mean when they say ''We can't because it's too sensitive''? It's either due to risk of government interference or due to general butthurt from RF vs UA interactions. Those are the only two reasons why it would matter.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Hmmm. I wonder why ''SSR''? Never noticed that before, indicates a 90s era, even though the rest of the map is 2008. Interesting.

They just used a scan of some older map.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

They just used a scan of some older map.

yeah the scan of Caucasus map we have in dcs is pretty old too. Think it was from 1985.

Persian Gulf map, ( which would be part of ONC H7) i found dated 1994. Though i havent found the date of the NTTR map.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...

I think its a shame we don't have Chechnya.

you can still see the remains of the extensive fortifications around the two airbases at grozny on google maps.

mi-8 transport missions from mozdok to either would be fun.

politics aside.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 1 month later...
Is ED not now "officially" based in Switzerland or something? Crimea was great back in the days of Flanker and LOMAC, would also like to see it again some day if it's possible.

+ 100:thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

ED has very clear on that situation on forum. meanwhile ED has working now on another "Free" map outside the Caucasus.

Hi Silver_Dragon!

Can you please put a link to this "very clear" thing written somewhere? Thanks!

[criticism_on]

I have absolutely no clue why Krimea was removed.

Damn, its a computer game, nothing more!

It is not always about fighting on DCS maps against the good and the bad, hell NO!

It is also about flying around in stunning areas and enjoy the advantages of having technologies around which we had wet dreams about in our younger years!

Did anybody ever took this into any consideration when deleting Krimea files?

[criticism_off] :weight_lift_2:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hi Silver_Dragon!

Can you please put a link to this "very clear" thing written somewhere? Thanks!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735513&postcount=178

New Maps

With 2018 we saw the release of the DCS: Persian Gulf Map. For 2019 we and our partners are working on two new World War II maps, a Syria map, a Falkland Islands map, and a new free map that we’ll discuss later in the year.

• 2 months later...
You guys are missing the issue with Crimea.

ED is based in Russia.

Russia is known for politicising their media and enforcing a narrative, claiming whole swathes of land through overt and covert means.

Crimea has ALWAYS been a particular hot topic for the RF, to the extent they launched a surprise invasion and started Cold War II.

LOTS of bickering about whether to render Crimea as Ukrainian or Russian on maps, among numerous other conflicts involving state sanctions and outright warfare.

What's the difference with Georgia? ED is based in Russia. Russia won that war and on an international level it is largely resolved to the satisfaction of everyone but Georgia. Likewise with Syria, more or less. Crimea and the whole Ukrainian conflict is ongoing, something Russia has paid a high price for, and is a key matter of the administration's political survival. It is an extremely sensitive topic for people that live and work in Russia.... LIKE THE BULK OF ED STAFF.

Simply rendering Crimea on the map as within Ukrainian territory would guarantee immediate censure in this political environment. Creating a campaign that depicted Russians in a negative or aggressor stance regarding Crimea would guarantee censure. I can go on, but you should get the idea by now. They don't care about Georgia or Syria, those are happy memories. Crimea/Ukraine has a bitter taste.

Interesting point - but sad at the same time.

There is IL-2 for example where the community can just mod maps as they wish.

Also there is MS Flight Sim and others which just cover the whole planet.

I will never understand why we're so restricted in maps and map sizes, especially when they're relatively low detail compared to most other products out there.

Would be fun to be able to use DCS for extended flights or even sightseeing or fictional theaters with certain challenges (e.g. just imagine Sahara dessert, Himalaya etc.)

• Like 1

Best regards

I will never understand why we're so restricted in maps and map sizes, especially when they're relatively low detail compared to most other products out there.

Would be fun to be able to use DCS for extended flights or even sightseeing or fictional theaters with certain challenges (e.g. just imagine Sahara dessert, Himalaya etc.)

It's DCS - different tech for different purposes so different goals, but there are already many places for sightseeing like Caucasus mountains, valleys (autumn?), Vegas, Mead Lake, Colorado canyons, Dubai, etc. but flying over Sahara? No, thx.

Building networks out in Western Europe, Turkey, Russia, China.

I can say this from personal experience.

Let sleeping dogs lie, and focus on the folks you are interacting with on a daily basis.

What the governments require are one thing. What the folks you are working with day in and day out can do, is another.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Well, we need Crimea back and perhaps some old East Turkey NATO bases. And if we could benefit from all the Caucasus mountains, it’ll be a so great thing.

We don’t mind about "hot" zones, it’s only a game, a very serious game but a game.

Crimea is now clearly Russian territory by the will of the vast majority of its inhabitants. A 2014 referendum was supported by a majority of voters, it was denounced as illegitimate but at 2018 elections Putin made 92 % in Crimea, well, so … !

I still see Caucasus as the main attractive map, that’s were the things will happen, Abkhazia want to be russian, Adjara too, only the region of Tbilissi is still pro NATO in Georgia.

Crimea being so politically sensistive is probably still unlikely. I would however like to see something added to the Turkey section of the map. I'm not sure if there are any airbases in that area thats on our map but there has to atleast be an airport right?

It is sad when politics gets to the history (like the geography in 1985) and as well to the business.

Like couldn't it be clear to model the map based to the situation in the long past (-75, -80, -89?) and avoid everything about the modern politics?

Yeah, F/A-18C Lot 20 in -70's terrain doesn't sound so.... Doesn't it?

And I mean this that no matter what map someone would do, there are always people who would inhale a melon to their nostrils...

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
Crimea being so politically sensistive is probably still unlikely. I would however like to see something added to the Turkey section of the map. I'm not sure if there are any airbases in that area thats on our map but there has to atleast be an airport right?

there is no AFB in that region but there are several airports

AFB map;

airfield-tu.gif

Airports map;

1da2d915d0d4321baaf4c2aa704c0513.jpg

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 years later...

Probably said in a post can you add towns, Airfields, and landmarks (i.e. Kerch Bridge) to Caucausus Map in Ukraine and Crimea

Thanks

Edited by ruddy122

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

The old Lock On and Early DCS had Kerch and Crimean Peninsula Airfields.  The latest DCS Versions took it out

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

13 hours ago, ruddy122 said:

The old Lock On and Early DCS had Kerch and Crimean Peninsula Airfields.  The latest DCS Versions took it out

ED removed them becuse of politics. Unless the polticical situation changes we ain't getting them back on a modern map. However as I said before I would love to have a Ukraine/ Southern Russia World War II map, with some early war assets for the I-16 and a late war module and assets that would help fill the Korean era RedFor. Also a Cold war era map would be nice as well. I'm not saying I wouldn't like a modern version I'm just saying we aren't going to get one and I expect ED will close the thread unless you get that through your head. 

• Like 1