More Stuff in Ukraine

Kongamato

A Cold War Map of Ukraine would  be cool

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:01 AM, upyr1 said:

ED removed them becuse of politics.

What is the evidence that ED refuses to release certain terrains due to politics? I've heard this suggested many times before and I have a really hard time believing this is actually true. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

What is the evidence that ED refuses to release certain terrains due to politics? I've heard this suggested many times before and I have a really hard time believing this is actually true. 

Why do you think they removed the Crimea? Stuff in the Crimea disappeared after 2014, they tend to shut down threads over Taiwan that is where people are getting the idea from. 

• Like 2

@Tree_Beard ED has no plans for creating a Map of Taiwan.  For several years, many people have stated that pay for.  In turn, ED says, "Nope, not going to happen."  I found forum posts on this topic going back about five years.  

As for the Caucasus map, some of ED's employees are or were based in the Ukraine.  ED removed certain parts of the map because of the Ukraine-Russia conflict.  

@upyr1 is correct in stating that ED tends to remove threads about Taiwan.  

MFT

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Force Team said:

@Tree_Beard ED has no plans for creating a Map of Taiwan.  For several years, many people have stated that pay for.  In turn, ED says, "Nope, not going to happen."  I found forum posts on this topic going back about five years.  

As for the Caucasus map, some of ED's employees are or were based in the Ukraine.  ED removed certain parts of the map because of the Ukraine-Russia conflict.  

@upyr1 is correct in stating that ED tends to remove threads about Taiwan.  

MFT

Just because they say there aren't plans to develop the terrain doesn't mean that they aren't doing it for political reasons. Your argument isn't compelling unless you can point me to ED saying otherwise. Happy to be proven wrong if they did. 

18 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Why do you think they removed the Crimea? Stuff in the Crimea disappeared after 2014, they tend to shut down threads over Taiwan that is where people are getting the idea from. 

Don't know, but it could have been for a variety of reasons other than politics. 

59 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

Just because they say there aren't plans to develop the terrain doesn't mean that they aren't doing it for political reasons. Your argument isn't compelling unless you can point me to ED saying otherwise. Happy to be proven wrong if they did. 

Don't know, but it could have been for a variety of reasons other than politics. 

I asked you to provide a theory. Simply saying it could have been for a variety of reasons really isn't providing a theory. 

59 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

The mainland Chinese government gets butt hurt over anything that even hints that Taiwan is independent and that would mean DCS would be banned in China and Dekka Iron Works would be unable to work on the China asset pack.  

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 1:17 AM, upyr1 said:

The mainland Chinese government gets butt hurt over anything that even hints that Taiwan is independent and that would mean DCS would be banned in China and Dekka Iron Works would be unable to work on the China asset pack.  

Force redirect download chinese version of the map for all china IP's, or simply don't name the island in text, many options.

----------

Honestly, while emotional attachement may be the driver in people's preferences for a particular map, well it is, but the context matters, areas where wars happened aren't so ethusiastic about having a map to replay the war on, it's the trauma of war I guess, it's to be expected, but truly nobody knows the real reasons for lack of Crimea map, there may be many. So the people who are not affected by war trauma are going to be the biggest users of a map IMO. Someone across the world would have zero issues playing on any kind of side/faction on a Ukraine-map for example, it's not surprising, there's no emotional handicap, no emotional barrier.

I'm not that eager to have a Balkan map just so I can ... do what, I have relatives across balkans, I don't exactly feel eager to drop virtual bombs down there, even if it's all defensive, so I could understand if this is one of the reason's for lack of Crimea.

However, was there really a big need/justification for a Ukraine+Crimea region map for Flight Sims in the first place, in terms of historical battles in real-life ... WW2 maybe but that's it right? It might be now so the priorities could have changed this year, but the other reasons against it could have also strengthened.

My primary interest for a Crimea map has pretty much been simply everything else but DCS related and outside of politics. Traveling, history and exploration, except that I did it virtually, couldn't afford to do it physically. I was fascinated by the consequences, massive economical prosperity of Crimea, massive road, railways and rebuilding projects, and that would make the map in DCS look cooler too.

And I just like that some of the cultural, architectural and such pieces be recreated and represented virtually as a form of historical preservation (to varying degrees, DCS ofcourse doesn't focus on exactly that, but it is a contribution non-the-less in general)

But this shift of reasons and priorities for DCS content was due to me spending less time with DCS due to other life stuff and lack of flight gear, the GPU shortage, etc so I guess I might not be the best person for having a good opinion here, especially the gameplay argument, whether Crimea with the lack of the northern grounds would actually improve the Caucasus map experience, or just a spawn area as mentioned. 

Also, is Crimea even part of "Caucasus" geographically ... I think not, well it's not like there's a rule of only the land of what the title says right ... (comparing to other maps and past common sense of no straight cut-offs), but in that case it's not actually missing anything heh.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

I would say every map now we currently have in DCS is political , more or less 

as a Taiwanese I really want Taiwan map or at least south china sea map ,also Ukraine map

A real world combat simulator that refuse to do any political map is a little funny and will huge limit to your map options

if ED really be terrified of some nation ,just let community create Map on there own

there are Youtubers doing Ukraine/ Russia or Taiwan / China topic using DCS even without map anyway , so what difference here?

Edited by dynameis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Flappie said:

This is from 2019! 

I can’t follow the reasoning in the above post to be honest.  Why does the DCS map call Crimea Ukrainian on their map and have the border there. In fact it would according to the same logic definitely need an update since Crimea is considered Russian since 2014 and the Crimean bridge is a national symbol for Russia. 

In any case players could really benefit of having the bridge shown and fly missions around that huge landmark. Defending or attacking the bridge.  Bridge was finished in 2018 only. 

I really don't think we get any updates, except the new lighting system. The Caucasus that we've got is a 2000s map, before all this went down. As it happens, that's when all our modules are most appropriate.

TBH, I don't see Ukraine outright retaking Crimea except by getting it handed back to them during the peace process. The locals are far more pro-Russian than elsewhere (in 2014 they basically rolled out the red carpet for them), and Sevastopol is kind of a though nut to crack, even if they did manage to take out the bridge. Plus, it's a rather critical naval base that Russia can't really afford to lose. The risk of it passing out to their hands (Ukraine refused to extend the lease on the base) was likely a major factor why they annexed Crimea when they did. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, _Defi said:

…since Crimea is considered Russian since 2014…

Well…in addition to Russia, only Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Syria, Afghanistan, and North Korea consider Crimea to be a part of Russia. So that statement might require a bit of qualification.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 10:23 AM, Ironhand said:

Well…in addition to Russia, only Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Syria, Afghanistan, and North Korea consider Crimea to be a part of Russia. So that statement might require a bit of qualification.

Better example for ".... Crimea is considered Russian since 2014" is :
"If your car was stolen, does it mean it is not your car anymore?
And court should say < it will be yours when you take it back by force>" ?
And you will see 10000 excuses like "legally mine but current actual belongings bla bla bla "

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 5:23 PM, Ironhand said:

How dare you tell the truth!

Well, if Russia claims Crimea, and I claim Russia, then Crimea is mine and I personally give ED permission to render it.

Edited by exhausted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

Threads merged. 

We have no plans for terrain enhancements in Ukraine or Crimea. 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2