HUD - weapon quantity

Jascha

Is there a way to have (remaining) weapon quantity for the currently selected stations displayed on HUD? Or is DSMS the only way to check it?

I was looking for display settings in IFFCC menu but could find anything related.

AFAIK the DSMS page is the only way to show your stores.

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

1 hour ago, Jascha said:

Is there a way to have (remaining) weapon quantity for the currently selected stations displayed on HUD? Or is DSMS the only way to check it?

I was looking for display settings in IFFCC menu but could find anything related.

The HUD does say EMPTY in the weapon data block in the lower left when you're out of weapons for that profile, otherwise no.

That's disappointing. To be honest I don't fully understand the reasoning behind it. HUD provides information on the remaining ammo count for GAU-8/A in GUNS mode. Yet in CCIP/CCRP mode I get information on the currently selected stations but not on the remaining number of weapons (actually more useful).

Also, A-10A has this info on HUD (obviously there is no DSMS there, but still...). 

24 minutes ago, Jascha said:

That's disappointing. To be honest I don't fully understand the reasoning behind it. HUD provides information on the remaining ammo count for GAU-8/A in GUNS mode. Yet in CCIP/CCRP mode I get information on the currently selected stations but not on the remaining number of weapons (actually more useful).

Also, A-10A has this info on HUD (obviously there is no DSMS there, but still...). 

That's probably a question worth asking Fairchild Republic, if they were still around 🙂 

FWIW, I think Coolie Hat Down Long does a quick glance at the DSMS page and should be handy, but I've found I usually keep the DSMS page open anyway

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

That's probably a question worth asking Fairchild Republic, if they were still around 🙂

You telling me, there is a chance that they will update this thing? 😄

Yeah, I know about DSMS quick glance but still... it would be useful to have this info on HUD (especially in case of multiple rockets stations or bombs). Not to mention that DSMS provides info on station quantity, not total quantity for the selected weapon type. 

Pity. But I'll manage.

Edited by Jascha
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jascha said:

There is a logic too it. The reason the HUD shows you the station number you will be dropping from is to help you make sure you have the right bomb selected when you are selecting profiles from the rotary. 

Let’s say for example: you have two 38s loaded but they have different bomb body types and fuses. One is a penetrator the other is he standard frag bomb body. So you have the penetrator on station 4 and the regular fragmentation bomb body on station 8.

Because you have different fuses the jet will only let you select one of those bombs at a time. When you cycle through the rotary to your 38 profile it will select the bomb on station 4, and when you cycle profiles one further it will select the weapon on station 8. That’s what the indication on the hud is showing you. It’s more important for the pilot to be able to determine in the HUD which weapon he has selected than the total number of that type of bomb. That way he can quickly cycle to the 38 profile and make sure station 4 is selected. Now he knows he’s got his penetrator ready and he can attack. The layout of the HUD is also so you can scan top to bottom in the block on the lower left: right profile, right station, bombs ready, right SPI. It’s important to do that while also looking outside and driving at the target

The pilot should know how many of what type of weapon he has. He planned the sortie built the UPC load, preflighted the jet and remembers if he dropped one of his 2 38s already or not. If he needs a count of his rockets or something he can just go to DSMS and count. That’s not something you need to immediately assess while on final

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

There is a logic too it. The reason the HUD shows you the station number you will be dropping from is to help you make sure you have the right bomb selected when you are selecting profiles from the rotary. 

You have a profile name displayed on HUD. You can set multiple profiles with different setting under different names. I'd day it's easier way to identify if you are using what you intend to use, than juggling station numbers in your head.

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

The pilot should know how many of what type of weapon he has. He planned the sortie built the UPC load, preflighted the jet and remembers if he dropped one of his 2 38s already or not. If he needs a count of his rockets or something he can just go to DSMS and count. That’s not something you need to immediately assess while on final

I'm sorry but I don't follow this logic. The argument that you can check DSMS could apply to checking of the currently selected stations as well. Not to mention that it's easier to identify selected stations at one quick DSMS glance, than to sum up weapon quantity from each station. Of course I'm talking primarily about multi-station & multi-rack situations. 

12 hours ago, ASAP said:

LOL, that makes me think of those professional poker players.  Whenever they check their hole cards, it's always just a show and never for real, because they make a point of knowing what their hole cards are.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:59 PM, Jascha said:

You have a profile name displayed on HUD. You can set multiple profiles with different setting under different names. I'd day it's easier way to identify if you are using what you intend to use, than juggling station numbers in your head.

There are some real world limitations not included in the video game. There are a lot of variations in weapon fusing options and bomb body combos that cannot be programmed in DSMS. For instance the jet can’t tell the difference between certain versions of GBU-38s and will look the same in DSMS.